• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A v Japan XV matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Pollard was fine I thought. Lonergan is a cool customer with a decent ceiling, but I'd hope he develops his accuracy and direction quickly for Aus A.

solid all round player but has he ever threatened the line or made a break? Running/sniping games seems non-existent.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'd like to see more or of Campbell - he's been the best attacking weapon on Tour.

Campbell shows brilliance on attack and just seems like a genuine fullback. Way too many errors for test rugby though, especially some of those under pressure situations. They will get punished at Test level against the teir-1 nations.

Vunivalu the same. Although he is improving each week.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Pone and Gleeson looked really good...

Some mixed performances out there from a lot of players, but there's a few of them you can see that this level is their ceiling.

Donaldson so far has it over Edmed, so it will be interesting to see what direction they go with next week.

Campbell is such a good ball runner, but you can see why he might not make it as a test player.

And considering you see Campbell, Banks, and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) last week looking threatening in attack it does raise questions about Vunivalu, even though they largely had him chasing kicks.

As for Hanigan - going back to my earlier point he looks good at this level, but if we've got issues with the Wallabies losing the collisions and the coaches have questions over the likes of Harry Wilson's ball carrying... then Hanigan is not the answer.

Well said. Hanigan looks good but doesn't dominate in contact. His workrate is great but just doesn't have the aggression for the next level. He's got the ball a few times out on the wing with 1 v 1 with smaller players and was very ineffective.

Would he be any better then Holloway or Wilson? No. I very much doubt it. And certainly a big step-up down on physicality from Leota.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Talk was they wanted to see him there as another option. He will likely play 10 at some stage in the Force
Probably not likely in Aus A 3. Coach Gilmore is quoted as saying the best of Donaldson in game 1 and Edmed in game 2 will get the spot in game 3. That will be an interesting selection to see the coaches' thinking.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well said. Hanigan looks good but doesn't dominate in contact. His workrate is great but just doesn't have the aggression for the next level. He's got the all a few times out on the wing with 1 v 1 with smaller players and was very ineffective.

Would he be any better then Holloway or Wilson? No. I very much doubt it. And certainly a big step-up down on physicality from Leota.

Don’t forget Swinton…

I’m not his biggest fan but I’d take his red mist over the wet newspaper that is Hanigan.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Markus Mark knows the defensive set for 13
I think you are pulling our leg. The area of his game that Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) still needs to majorly improve is his defense, albeit that he has already made major strides in that direction this year. But for a 13, defence is a whole new ballgame; it is the first requirement to be selected there and it needs talking skills, the ability to read the opposition and respond, correct alignment and the ability to take his opposite down 95+% of the time. That is not Mark's core skillset.

The two best wing performances on this tour have been Peitch and Mark N (Nawaqanitawase), with Daugunu not out of place. Vunivalu has had NO opportunity at all. He has now played 180 minutes and not once has Creighton set him into the clear, or anyone else for that matter. Rennie has decided he is the designated kick-chaser and nothing else, trying to turn him into the next Izzy Folau. Fool's errand.

Notice I said Rennie. Clearly the Australia A coaches are under instruction to play the current Wallaby gameplan of at least 75% box kicks in chase and hope. Any good coach, and Japan has that in spades, knows exactly how to respond. Flood the target area with blockers and get possession back or disrupt the attacking rhythm if you don't.

How did we score the Banks try? We worked to pull the defence in and then cleared the ball to Banks. The Japanese were in total shock and facing a 1 on 2 with all their defence in midfield. Banks then released Peitch late enough to pin the defender but early enough so he could stay alive in the play. It was lovely to watch two good players combining intelligently for a try that was almost unstoppable given the work done early to manipulate the defensive pattern. Immediately we did that, Lonergan restarted his aerial bombardment to no one in particular and normal transmission was resumed.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
solid all round player but has he ever threatened the line or made a break? Running/sniping games seems non-existent.
Agree with your thoughts on Ryan Lonergan, he really doesn’t offer a lot, however maybe he was playing to instructions to keep kicking. I haven’t really seen too much of him so won’t pass a full judgement yet. Would be interested to hear the thoughts of others whether he has any sort of running game. At this stage he appears miles behind White, Gordon and Tate.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
A lot of posters showing angst against the Rennie gameplan which seems to be implemented by Aussie A. I kinda get why they are doing it, they want to see the players in the shape they’ll use for test matches.

At the same time, I don’t really care so much if our A team keeps winning yet we hinder some players natural talents and gameplay.

Our A team going undefeated isn’t going to be the deciding factor in us winning another World Cup. It’s the players developing and working on attributes of their game that work and some that need improvement.

I’d be much happier to see us play a bit more wild and free, keeping ball in hand etc

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Where he won't get any game time either. ^^^^ Banks and Kellaway are apparently a done deal from everyone outside of Queensland remember?

Then throw Tate and Jock into a world cup match against the minnows without any test match experience and wonder why they pass to the wrong person, kick at the wrong time or have literally no instincts for the game of rugby.

I see no benefit in developing players to play elite rugby matches by not letting them play elite rugby matches.

*edit* I get thet rugby australia mentioned that Banks will get game time - but I question what the point of "development" for Banks actually is if he is off overseas after this season & he wasn't a shoe in for the 15 before his injury and therefore won't be in the world cup squad (or am I mistaken on that? I may be - but I just haven't heard anything different yet).
Not saying right or wrongly here, but when Banks was fit he was selected at 15 for Wallabies every single time... Seems he was the shoe in..

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Interesting game yesterday. The first half it was Japan run and gun footy, played at a high pace and equally high skill level. The second half for mine was more tight, attritional test match footy and it was good for these young blokes to get a taste of it against good opposition.

The game plan seemed to involve a lot of kicking and not all of it was high quality. At this stage I have Donaldson ahead of Edmed in the game management/shape department. Lonergan seems like a good solid half and we'll see a lot more of him in gold. The set piece was IMHO significantly better than last week. We did struggle to get any kind of coherent attack going though.

One thing I did like was the at times excellent go forward provided by the forward. Gibbon, Pone, Ned and Langi were all good in this area. I love seeing big bodies hitting a flat ball at pace, it's probably one of my favourite aspects of rugby done well. There were some good examples of this yesterday and I want to see more of that in the Wallaby side too.

The backs were mostly a bit meh and and missed the spark of guys like Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) from last week.

Stand outs: Gibbon and Pone were immense in the loose and very solid in the scrum. Ned was also great on the edges and got us go forward. Langi was more of a ball runner in tighter channels this week and I wonder if that was an instruction from the coaches. He did manage to get his shoulders through the gain line several times, which I want to see from a ball running forward.

We were probably a little fortunate to win, but it's all good experience for the lads. I agree with Adam, BTW, that our players need to learn to keep their fucking traps shut. We're probably the most hated international team in terms of shit chat on the park. That needs to stop.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
You watch the same game as me?
I don’t want him anywhere near the wallabies tour.
Every coach has picked him and he has been good on this tour. Wilson was ineffective again(unfortunately as I am a massive fan), Leota is out and Holloway has been a bit ho hum. Assuming Valetini is 8 and Hooper/McReight is 7 then a good option is someone who is a legit target in the lineout and who gets through a ton of work. He has carried well in both matches. I am not saying he is a walk up starter but I would be very surprised if he does not get a spot on tour. Its him or Uru. Both similar players but they seem to favour Ned for some reason.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Do we get what the A coaches consider their best 23 this week? I think that side would win comfortably against the Japan 15.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
You watch the same game as me?
I don’t want him anywhere near the wallabies tour.

I fear Hanigan might make the squad based on effort and workrate. But his lack of impact is telling. It would be a surprise if he does make the team given how much emphasis Rennie puts on the contact zone and dominating the tackle. Hanigan does everything right except for those two things. But with all the injuries, we may seem him in the squad.

Last edited:

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Stand outs: Gibbon and Pone were immense in the loose and very solid in the scrum. Ned was also great on the edges and got us go forward. Langi was more of a ball runner in tighter channels this week and I wonder if that was an instruction from the coaches. He did manage to get his shoulders through the gain line several times, which I want to see from a ball running forward.

We were probably a little fortunate to win, but it's all good experience for the lads. I agree with Adam, BTW, that our players need to learn to keep their fucking traps shut. We're probably the most hated international team in terms of shit chat on the park. That needs to stop.

I agree on Gibbon and Pone. Gibbon has a knack to go for a pilfer which i really like seeing. In fact I think the whole front row of Pollard, Pone, and Gibbon made a turnover, something lacking from our current props.

Not sure about Hanigan being effective on the edges.

Gleeson always seems to always get over the advantage line in heavy traffic. Not making his usual breaks or half breaks but he's doing a lot of hits up in tight and making metres.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Where he won't get any game time either. ^^^^ Banks and Kellaway are apparently a done deal from everyone outside of Queensland remember?

Then throw Tate and Jock into a world cup match against the minnows without any test match experience and wonder why they pass to the wrong person, kick at the wrong time or have literally no instincts for the game of rugby.

I see no benefit in developing players to play elite rugby matches by not letting them play elite rugby matches.

*edit* I get thet rugby australia mentioned that Banks will get game time - but I question what the point of "development" for Banks actually is if he is off overseas after this season & he wasn't a shoe in for the 15 before his injury and therefore won't be in the world cup squad (or am I mistaken on that? I may be - but I just haven't heard anything different yet).

Not 100% sure, but I'm assuming Banks has in his Japan contract he is allowed to go to the RWC. I think they are highly considering him taking him. No other scenario else makes sense.

I don't think playing in Japan for a fullback (less pressure situations) will be great for his development, so maybe it is a good idea to give him more game time at international level, he is the closest to nailing down the position and could very well do that on the spring tour.

I don't think Jock has done himself any favours this tour. What have learned about him? He is a good attacker - well we already knew it. He still makes errors and he lacks strength in contact. I'm not even sure on his high ball skills. I do really like Jock, I think he's a smart footballer, I hope he sets up a level asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.