• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A v Japan XV matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Thoroughly enjoyable game to watch, excellent work by Aus A against a peer at near test level.

Still feel that we need better consistency in the set piece and there were plenty of stretches where we just didn't muscle up enough in contact. The Japanese play an entertaining game that can get open and loose. It is Aus A but I still felt that Lonergan and Donaldson could have directed the team back into the game plan a bit quicker at times. But they did play very well with what was in front of them. Very well.

Hats off to Gleeson. I didn't want to recognise this bloke till he gets a bit more pro time. Which was wrong. People have been tough on both Daugunu and Vunivalu, I thought they looked good for the game time. Yes Vunivalu can get better in positional play but he was often electric in attack. Either way Nawaqanitawase must surely be offered the start going forward. Jock must be knocking on the door on the WB squad, Surely.

Not Creighton's best game, not sure what was happening there. Ditto Kuenzle. The pre-game query of "Ollie who?" is yet to be answered.

Fabulous effort by the Japanese fans - what a crowd! The game has given me a bit of a kick, something that I can really use to counter waning rugby enthusiasm lately. Thanks Aus A and Japan. :)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Viking, you (and others) say that Nick Frost is still young, implying he is too young for test rugby. But he was in the same U20s side as Noah Lolesio, Fraser McReight, Harry Wilson, Angus Bell, Mark Naiwaqanitawase, and Lachlan Lonergan, maybe others. Are they also too young?
Yes. We're seeing that now, they will all probably be Wallabies incumbents in the future but none can really nail down a starting position, save probably Bell. Give them & Frost more time to mature into their bodies and get experience. They're freaks but not just ready yet, especially 2nd row position. Look at Arnold, Neville, Philip, all maturing much later.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I really saw little in the way of raw talent or dominating ball carrying from Vunivalu. For most of the time he looked lost and all at sea. Very short on game awareness yet and some way off test match level.

Always amazes me when two people can look at the same thing and have different views. Thought the guy was electric, enough that on a couple of occasions he was in danger of being isolated due to the support not anticipating how far he would get. He also flunked in position in D more than once.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Always amazes me when two people can look at the same thing and have different views. Thought the guy was electric, enough that on a couple of occasions he was in danger of being isolated due to the support not anticipating how far he would get. He also flunked in position in D more than once.
Snap

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Really? I thought he played very well. A key turnover early on, at least a couple of line breaks and offloads, a very important covering tackle that probably saved a try and tackled strongly.

Yeah, realised after saying it that I would offend someone. Hey I just didn't notice him enough and had to look up his name/number at the end of the game. Happy to take your correction.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yes. We're seeing that now, they will all probably be Wallabies incumbents in the future but none can really nail down a starting position, save probably Bell. Give them & Frost more time to mature into their bodies and get experience. They're freaks but not just ready yet, especially 2nd row position. Look at Arnold, Neville, Philip, all maturing much later.
But look otherwise at the current French test side which is vying with Ireland for the world's top ranking. Many of the U20s that just pipped our side with all of those players. I think they are all old enough and experienced enough right now.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
But look otherwise at the current French test side which is vying with Ireland for the world's top ranking. Many of the U20s that just pipped our side with all of those players. I think they are all old enough and experienced enough right now.
I think you're mixing up years, Ntamack and Dupont didn't play against McReight and Co. The French players who did win against Australia are at the same level as their aussie counterparts. Players like Louis Carbonel & Arthur Vincent starred for that team and are still on the periphery of the French team.

Funnily enough the only French player who made the jump properly is their loose head prop, Jean Baptiste-Gros, just like our loose head in Bell is the only one who's cemented his position.

Here are the teams for reference:

TEAMS​

Australia to face France:

1. Angus Bell, Sydney University

2. Lachlan Lonergan, Tuggeranong Vikings

3. Josh Nasser, University of Queensland

4. Michael Wood, Brothers

5. Trevor Hosea, Harlequins Rugby Club

6. Harry Wilson, Brothers

7. Fraser McReight (C), Brothers

8. Will Harris, Eastern Suburbs

9. Michael McDonald, Palmyra

10. Will Harrison, Randwick

11. Mark Nawaqanitawase, Eastwood

12. Noah Lolesio, Tuggeranong Vikings

13. Semisi Tupou, Box Hill

14. Triston Reilly, AU7s/Randwick

15. Isaac Lucas, Sunnybank

Reserves:

16. Joe Cotton, West Bulldogs

17. Bo Abra, Eastern Suburbs

18. Darcy Breen, Sydney University

19. Rhys Van Nek, Easts

20. Esei Ha’angana, Melbourne Unicorns

21. Nick Frost, Queanbeyan Whites

22. Carlo Tizzano, University of Western Australia

23. Patrick Tafa, Northern Suburbs

24. Henry Robertson, Sydney University

25. Ben Donaldson, Randwick

26. Kye Oates, University of Queensland

27. Joey Walton, Gordon

28. Sione Tui, Melbourne Unicorns

France to face Australia:

1 Jean-Baptiste Gros

2 Theo Lachaud

3 Alex Burin

4 Killian Geraci

5 Florent Vanverberghe

6 Matthias Haddad

7 Thibault Hamonou

8 Jordan Joseph

9 Leo Coly

10 Louis Carbonel

11 Donovan Taofifenua

12 Julien Delbouis

13 Arthur Vincent (C)

14 Vincent Pinto

15 Matthis Lebel

Reserves:

16 Rayne Barka

17 Eli Eglaine

18 Giorgi Beria

19 Paul Mallez

20 Gauthier Maravat

21 Mathieu Hirigoyen

22 Loic Hocquet

23 Quentin Delord

24 Mathieu Smaili

25 Antoine Zeghdar

26 Ethan Dumortier

27 Alexandre De Nardi

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Gleeson did so many things right, but put a very small mark in the "negatives" column by failing to release men outside him to create opportunity. But jeez what a talent.

Our forwards seemed to want to run AT bodies instead of gaps, which got them whacked a fair bit. Once we got a few phases together and ran at holes we did it easy BUT we went too wide too early in the first half and Japan's pace was good enough to clean us up.

Look at Wilkins' try: a coupel of quick setups in the first channel, then some decent handling through the line.

The glaring issues was cohesion - it will shock nobody that we were a bit disjointed carrying and at ruck time. Unless you've spent a couple of weeks chasing Campbell or Vunivalu around a field, you're not ready to follow them around as they shred defensive lines. The ruck was the worst bit for me and a symptom of this. We got better BUT while our loosies were prominent in the loose, their workrate wasn't as good in the tight for the first 40.

Lot of players helped their cause in that game, not least of which were Campbell and Nawaqanitawase. If there was anything lacking, it was the centres.

Last edited:

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Viking, you (and others) say that Nick Frost is still young, implying he is too young for test rugby. But he was in the same U20s side as Noah Lolesio, Fraser McReight, Harry Wilson, Angus Bell, Mark Naiwaqanitawase, and Lachlan Lonergan, maybe others. Are they also too young?

No, I wasn't implying he was too young for Test rugby. I was implying he is young and therefore is likely to make further improvements to his game. Compared to Hanigan who is much older and less likely to improve, especially since he hasn't in the last few years.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Imo, outside of Angus Bell who's world class, all the players you've mentioned still need more time at Super before being international quality.

Last edited:

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I think you're mixing up years, Ntamack and Dupont didn't play against McReight and Co. The French players who did win against Australia are at the same level as their aussie counterparts. Players like Louis Carbonel & Arthur Vincent starred for that team and are still on the periphery of the French team.

Funnily enough the only French player who made the jump properly is their loose head prop, Jean Baptiste-Gros, just like our loose head in Bell is the only one who's cemented his position.

It's also worth noting that French players get a loooooot more game time than our boys, so I also wouldn't be surprised if they did develop faster.

Also looking at that list made me remember that we lost both Tupou and Lucas to Japan, and now I'm sad.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

DC, interesting. I wonder how many of the Aussie U20's have gone OS and how they are going?

Just checked the French U20's team (not bench) and this was the result who have played for France and Pinto played for Portugal, One third of the team is a bit better than you were suggesting:

Jean-Baptiste Gros

Donovan Taofifenua

Arthur Vincent

Vincent Pinto -Portugal

Matthis Lebel

Theo Lachaud

DC just read your earlier comment re more time. If we give these guys more time to mature how many will we lose OS? I am suggesting a fair number will not sit here hoping for a chance while Rennie is combing the archives for experienced players today.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Imo, outside of Angus Bell who'se world class, all the players you've mentioned still need more time at Super before being international quality.
All very well IF we were sitting in the top 5 but we ain't and where is our team for RWC coming from? Sifting through older players for experienced and capable Wallabies is a limited plan IMHO.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Imo, outside of Angus Bell who's world class, all the players you've mentioned still need more time at Super before being international quality.
Well, Bell needs a lot more development in scrummaging. It has always been his weak spot. While the others will definitely improve too with more time at Super level, I reckon McReight has well and truly proved he is capable at test level. It just took the coaches/selectors about 12 months to realise they already had a better test option in Samu for the 7 spot that now keeps him out of the starting position. He doesn't let anyone down off the bench though.

Status
Not open for further replies.