• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A v Japan XV matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I assume the express purpose of Australia 'A' is to strengthen the Wallabies and get a wider examination of talent than normally allowed. Assuming the priority of winning games comes a distant third after that. Makes sense then for Creighton if they have him earmarked for potential higher duties. Give him as much time and experience, same for Teddy Wilson, Campbell over Japan bound Banks etc.

HC was a late call up to the old aus a squad, I just dont think we have another genuine option there. Like Rugbyreg said Henry, or maybe JC goes then when Banks comes on

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
Agree with that. has to be a he's on the trip so get him in for 15 mins hopefully at the end. I'd think Tuttle would be considered ahead of Teddy Wilson if the Wallabies needing someone immediately.

Thought Stewart would have got a start at 12.

Happy for Pietsch to get a run after his late season form and PAC nations cup games. Can't get them all in the same game.... I assume Campbell will go to the Wing for Banks whenever the change happens.
Maybe Wayne Smith was right. Stewart is there as a flyhalf and he'll start at 10 in the third match with Donaldson on the bench.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Agree with that. has to be a he's on the trip so get him in for 15 mins hopefully at the end. I'd think Tuttle would be considered ahead of Teddy Wilson if the Wallabies needing someone immediately.

Thought Stewart would have got a start at 12.

Happy for Pietsch to get a run after his late season form and PAC nations cup games. Can't get them all in the same game.... I assume Campbell will go to the Wing for Banks whenever the change happens.

I would have liked to have seen Stewart get a run at 12. I reckon he is better as a secondary playmaker and his defence is rock solid.

Rugby King

Sydney Middleton (9)
I assume the express purpose of Australia 'A' is to strengthen the Wallabies and get a wider examination of talent than normally allowed. Assuming the priority of winning games comes a distant third after that. Makes sense then for Creighton if they have him earmarked for potential higher duties. Give him as much time and experience, same for Teddy Wilson, Campbell over Japan bound Banks etc.
Doesn’t look like that given the player rotations in game 2.
Seems like it is also being used to get a few Wobblies game fit

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
do we have another 13 in the squad?
As Reg and I think you alluded to as well Henry would have been my pick. While he has had an injury ravaged last year he showed some solid promise prior to that.

I'll admit I haven't seen much of Creighton however he looked well out of his league last week.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
We don’t seem to have options for 13. The best fit for 12/13 is mostly decided by who is playing in other positions.

The current crop of players that are capable have come through the pathways as 10/12/15’s. A natural ball runner that accelerates into space and/or looks for an outside shoulder into contact is hard to manufacture. It’s also a shit hard position to defend that only time in the 13 channel helps with development.

Can now understand why people ( myself included) got so excited by Petaia as a solution to the puzzle. At only 22 I’m still hopeful he still might be.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
13 is interesting isn’t it.

Reds used Paisami and Petaia, both in the Wallaby squad but probably for other positions. Flook too but he’s injured (or just returning from injury).

Tahs had Perese - injured. And no one else needed? I think?

Brumbies had Ikitau - wallaby squad. And no one else needed I think?

Rebels used Ralston, Godwin and Kahui mainly - I guess we could call on one of the first two. Anyone have any idea how they’re going?

Rebels used Kellaway (wallabies) and Ili (ineligible)

Lukas Ripley the most notable perhaps? - perhaps this is the guy that should have been in the Aussie A squad??

Status
Not open for further replies.