• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A v Japan XV matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I actually like what we've seen from Vunivalu over the last two games. He didn't really have too many opportunities to shine on the weekend but what we did see was generally very good. He again showed he's comfortable under the highball, a talent that will be crucial for wingers at the world cup. His defence was also good. Whilst he didn’t get much pill, he has shown an ability to bust tackles and finish. My gut feeling is that if he can stay healthy next year (which is a big if) and show some form in Super Rugby, we see him on the plane to France.
I’m not sure if thats on the money. Look at Daugunu and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase). Both have gone looking for the ball when it did not come their way. I also question that he has been good in defense. He has made a couple of tackles but has also been caught out as many or more times, particularly in the first game. When he is given the pill in space we all know that he is excellent one on one, but if it is not served up to him on a plate then he needs to find other ways to be effective. I hope he does come good but right now I can see why DR is reluctant to start him.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
You can tell Vunivalu has X factor and that's what is keeping everyone wanting more but when watching these games Nawaquinatawase, Pietsch and Daugunu have been better than him in my opinion.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
I’m not sure if thats on the money. Look at Daugunu and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase). Both have gone looking for the ball when it did not come their way. I also question that he has been good in defense. He has made a couple of tackles but has also been caught out as many or more times, particularly in the first game. When he is given the pill in space we all know that he is excellent one on one, but if it is not served up to him on a plate then he needs to find other ways to be effective. I hope he does come good but right now I can see why DR is reluctant to start him.
From what I recall, most of Vunivalu's few runs/metres on Saturday came closer in field, and I recall seeing him off his wing quite a bit. I'm not sure it's fair to imply he wasn't looking for work.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
From what I recall, most of Vunivalu's few runs/metres on Saturday came closer in field, and I recall seeing him off his wing quite a bit. I'm not sure it's fair to imply he wasn't looking for work.
I don't think he totally understands what is needed when he comes in but there wasn't much doing on his side all game. Struck me as a strange game plan to ignore one side of the pitch...

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There is a world of difference between “looking for work” from 11 than 14. Vunivalu has had some positional lapses, most notable in defence. His work in the kick chase is impressive, though the ball could be better placed. His work one on one is exciting.

All that said it’s not just Nawaqanitawase and Daugunu who have impressed at the back, so have Banks and Campbell. It’s getting tight for game slots.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
There is a world of difference between “looking for work” from 11 than 14. Vunivalu has had some positional lapses, most notable in defence. His work in the kick chase is impressive, though the ball could be better placed. His work one on one is exciting.

All that said it’s not just Nawaqanitawase and Daugunu who have impressed at the back, so have Banks and Campbell. It’s getting tight for game slots.
Dru, let's hope that translates into an improvement in the end-of-year tour.

Reactions: dru

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Ghost: My hope for him is that he becomes the big(ger) 7 that we have needed for a fair while. I'm still looking for a big skilful 8 any ideas?

Have a watch of Jackson Pugh playing number 8 for Auckland, will hopefully start there for Force this year, could be one to watch for the future

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I've been impressed by Pone, Gibbon, Gleeson and Nawanqanitawase, but nobody else has really made an argument for Wallabies selection. I haven't found this tour encouraging for Australian depth. And I think Banks will go right back into the squad and Campbell won't.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's the group lining up for that slot that is impressive. Like you I consider Wright out. For who is in? Flip a coin.
I think its Kellaway with banks at 15 and then Jock or Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) at 23

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think its Kellaway with banks at 15 and then Jock or Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) at 23

You've left out 11?

For me I'd drop in Jock Campbell to back up 15 with a stretch to 14. Not sure Nawaqanitawase has shown 15 as well as 14. I'd be tempted to give Vunivalu a shot though.

Edit: and of course, Banks is more proven than all of them.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've been impressed by Pone, Gibbon, Gleeson and Nawanqanitawase, but nobody else has really made an argument for Wallabies selection. I haven't found this tour encouraging for Australian depth. And I think Banks will go right back into the squad and Campbell won't.
We just beat Japan twice with players 35-60 ranked in the country. How is that not encouraging.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Vunivalu: league brain still engaged a little.

1) He chases a kick, then if he's not on the ball he jogs back - this is pure league where outside backs get a little rest between possession changing hands.
2) On defence he shoots up and in to try and cut down play. Again in league, players will die with the ball rather than offload, except on last tackle, because of the risk. And throw in the complete lack of trust league wingers have in their centres, which is ingrained into them (or a devious plot from the NRL to create more tries).

But on the carry he's got gas, and the power to shed blokes, which is the first thing you want in a wing. If we had a domestic comp for him to play in (and he wasn't injured so much) he'd be further along in the journey. Hope he turns out to be worth the money.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
It has been pretty well known, both officially and unofficially, that Vunivalu's training load was pretty much non-existent whilst playing in the NRL.

As in, the Storm knew about his flaws and there were injury concerns, but they kept him limber and fit enough to do a very specific job for 80mins each week.

His adjustment to the training sessions, extra work required in both attack and defensive alignment and generally just being busted has really hindered Vunivalu's foray into rugby. As you mention @Pfitzy it has taken him longer that expected to string together a few games. Here's hoping he has a breakout game soon, because he was signed to be a point of difference and can be a real point scoring weapon.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
As for the performance - Japan were better this week, and despite all the changes to our lineup we still won.

First try to Japan was less about Campbell than the inside men getting held by a good line from Japan 12, who then released the wing - Pietsch caught in two minds with 3 guys running into his space. Inside him were Creighton and Gibbon against two flankers and three backs.

Not sure the high kicks from the base were good tactics, but there seemed to be a pattern of us getting a bigger body through the line, then making a mistake with the ball, so a bit of kick and hope. Certainly Lonergan's execution was a bit off.

Not much wrong with our defence all told. A couple of times we got outflanked because Japan's ability to pass wide pulled us out of alignment; again combinations on our part. Japan used a really interesting 3-1-3-1 (or 1-3-1-3) to create space on the edges when they were in midfield, and then went hard for it. Risky but a high skill game can make that pay. Once they got into the 22 it was mostly one-out running as there is no back field to defend, so more defenders in the line.

The fact we generally stayed with a fit and accurate Japan XV for two games is pleasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.