• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia: now the worlds most hated team, and whinging saffas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigs23

Allen Oxlade (6)
So Ive just been doing the rounds on the rwc and other fb groups, and much to my dismay there are loads of anti-australian sentiment, most comments of which are a deviation of the aussies are cheats, pocock is useless, south africa deserved to win and so on. Why are we being classed as this overrated, unethical, cheating, arrogant team? I almost feel organising a 4chan style 'raid' on this facebook status: http://www.facebook.com/rugbyworldcup/posts/10150419617202174
Its disgraceful.

V

voodoo

I wouldn't be too worried about this sort of thing. There's some countries England, South Africa and New Zealand who generally hate us at most sports (often because we've been successful over the years) and will take any opportunity to complain about us.

We are not a dirty team and are generally positive in our play but like alll sides players push the rules when they think they can get away with it.

Rugby is 4th by a long way in popularity and player numbers in Australian winter sports (miles behind Aussie Rules, Soccer and Rugby League) so we've been an over achiever over the years. Currently the All Blacks are number one by a considerable distance. Australia is ranked number 2 which is not bad but there is really not much between numbers 2 and 7.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Seriously? In the wake of the South Africa match when the ref's interpretations and calls favoured the Wallabies, we have others expressing their disapproval and Pocock has been labelled a cheat. Big deal. There are some smart-arses on this site who have been quick to label McCaw and the All Blacks as premeditated cheaters for years now, all while the ABs won. Now, we seem to have learned that winners seem to study and react to the ref's interpretations better than losers.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I wouldn't be too worried about this sort of thing. There's some countries England, South Africa and New Zealand who generally hate us at most sports (often because we've been successful over the years) and will take any opportunity to complain about us.

We are not a dirty team and are generally positive in our play but like alll sides players push the rules when they think they can get away with it.

Rugby is 4th by a long way in popularity and player numbers in Australian winter sports (miles behind Aussie Rules, Soccer and Rugby League) so we've been an over achiever over the years. Currently the All Blacks are number one by a considerable distance. Australia is ranked number 2 which is not bad but there is really not much between numbers 2 and 7.

Actually 5th. Netball too.

But support your point we punch well above our weight.

We are the good guys, the rest of the world don't know it. To be honest we do have the best of a lot of things here. Weather, economic stability, good healthcare. I am sure a lot of these things go into making us hated.

We know we are the good guys, let em talk shit.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
SaderCheif, I'm surprised that you are blaming the media for that. I'm not sure Henry's triumphalism is appropriate there. The whole idea that nobody should dare to niggle Richie would be offensive if it weren't ludicrous.

Anyway Cheif, Henry may yet have that smirk wiped off his dial.

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Anyway Cheif, Henry may yet have that smirk wiped off his dial.

Agree, its not over yet.
However I think the media tend to deflect the wallabies performance towards negitive storys like this one. Ok Henry shouldnt of said that, I agree but some of the aussie media have taken delight in villanising NZ which doesnt help the whole anti-wallabie sentiment in NZ. I for one dont have an issue with the Wallabies or Cooper, I admit i was a little pissed of at the knee to the head and similar issues but i got over it pretty quick.

A

Army_Gav

It you want of proof of the Kiwi hate vibe, just check out the posts on the Wallabies facebook page for the lastr 12 hours.

Small Island Syndrome anyone?
Not to mention coping personal shit last night. I'm happy to take "4 more years" and other taunts, as I'll get as much as I give.

Copped a comment from some Poms too after the game, walking to the train station. The most uninspiring team at the cup.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Can't see much of an issue with what Henry said.

Time for the Kiwis to move on though. They've had their fun.

As long as Australian newpapers stop making voodoo dolls of Kiwi players. If not, all's fair game.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
because we are. apart from the cheating. Apart from last year, no Australian rugby team has one anything in years. We walk and talk like we're gods gifted to rugby. Our players are overhyped and overplayed.
What about this year? Super Rugby and Tri Nations Champions.

I don't get the vitriol towards Pocock, it's not a surprise that Bryce allowed a free for all at the breakdown, as he does in every match. Bam played to that, and frankly if he hadn't then I'd be dissapointed. It's not like the Saffas were angels in that match either.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Not to mention coping personal shit last night. I'm happy to take "4 more years" and other taunts, as I'll get as much as I give.

Copped a comment from some Poms too after the game, walking to the train station. The most uninspiring team at the cup.

It's the stuff at the ground that worries me. It's part of the rugby ethos to shake hands and have a beer after the game. If we go the way of league / soccer, there's not much point following the game any more.

A

Army_Gav

It's the stuff at the ground that worries me. It's part of the rugby ethos to shake hands and have a beer after the game. If we go the way of league / soccer, there's not much point following the game any more.
Good point, but I think the rivalry and passion between Australia and New Zealand is immense.

Status
Not open for further replies.