• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Argentina - 21 November, Newcastle

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The ABs were very narrow against Argentina which played right into the hands of the big backrow who did very well in the wrestle close to the ruck. We saw twice when Sotutu took it from the back of the scrum the flankers just didn’t have the pace to shut him down. On one occasion he made 30m and on another he created an opportunity for a try. Perhaps rather than trying to outmuscle them with Valetini or Naisarani starting we’re going to try and stretch them thin on the edges.
I think that is exactly what we are going to do. Go wide and often as well as kick for the corners and play the game down at their end.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I like the continuity in this side, and barring Hanigan at 6 I can't really argue with any of the picks. And even Hanigan I'm not going to argue hard, he's a safe option who will do OK.

You need some grinders out there to do the dog work that lets the other perform

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I can't really recall Ned missing many tackles, dropping the ball or getting turned over. I can't really recall him throwing a lot of shitty passes, or kicking the ball when he should have run it either.

Maybe what he lacks in impact, he more than makes up for in being reliable? That's gotta be a strength in a team like the wallabies, which has (let's be honest) been pretty much shit in basic skills for quite a while.

I dunno. I'm just trying to figure it out too, as I haven't been too impressed by him over the years.

Link described it (to paraphrase) "as effort consistently delivered" you can budget for efforts from some players whilst others - some days are average and other days they are geniuses, I think Hanigan falls into the former category, he does his job

Reactions: dru

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
This is starting to feel a lot like the classic clashes of styles we used to get in the old tri-nations, with Argentina playing a similar power game to a classic south african side. They shut new zealand down at the carry and starved them of the mistakes they usually thrive off. Hopefully our more reckless style will be difficult for them to contain, certainly offloads (as long as they stick) are a good counter to this sort of high energy defence, forcing them to make more tackles per ruck.

Assuming our forwards can deliver something approaching parity, Paisami and Petaia are going to be key here. New Zealand's centres were more or less anonymous last week and it made it simple for the Argies. If we start asking questions there it might just open them up for us.

Very bloody excited. Regardless of whatever else is going on this has been one of the best years of rugby in a while.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Very bloody excited. Regardless of whatever else is going on this has been one of the best years of rugby in a while.

I feel like specifically in the Tri Nations - we've hit a great balance. For years it has felt like NZ will beat everyone, and the Argies weren't quite up to the task of being a real threat.

This year the playing field is well and truly levelled. And I love it.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I feel like specifically in the Tri Nations - we've hit a great balance. For years it has felt like NZ will beat everyone, and the Argies weren't quite up to the task of being a real threat.

This year the playing field is well and truly levelled. And I love it.

Agreed. I love it. Same for World Rugby as a whole. Everyone in the top 7 can beat anyone on their day. England, France, Ireland, Wales (maybe not this years Wales), and now Argentina. All these teams versing each other is such a great contest with differing styles.