• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Argentina - 21 November, Newcastle

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
Absolutely!
Hodge is not a playmaking 5/8. He simply doesn’t have a good enough passing game, and even struggles to pass it left to right. Paisami is equally not a playmaker 12, but I actually thought he showed some passing skills yesterday that I hadn’t seen from him before, so it was a step up, but still between the two of them the outside back simply aren’t getting any real quality ball.

We’ve got two world class attacking players in Petaia and Koroibete, and Wright who looks decent himself, but they aren’t getting clean ball, or opportunities for them to show their talent.

They got opportunities, just like last game. Banks threw a poor ball to Koroibete, who also overan it. Would have been a try. Paisami’s kick through was about as pretty good and could have been a try if executed slightly better, by either Paisami or Petaia.

Also recall Hodge and Paisami executing perfect passes to get the ball 3/4 across the field, left to right, last game before banks passed behind.

I’d say they have better passes than JOC (James O'Connor). Both Hodge and Paisami held the ball in two hands, ran forward and decided wether to pass, kick or run based on what was in front of them. They either took the meters themselves or put people in space, we made a tonne of meters in the first half alone. Probably no point banging on about it but I’d love to see the 10,12,13 combo get more time..

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Disagree. If someone is cynically lying on the ball they need to be discouraged from doing it again. Head and nuts have always been off limits and that gentleman’s rule stays in place.
You are right. I was trying to say the same thing with sotto voce sarcasm.
A fail I'm afraid. I'll just go back to the more blunt "bring back rucking".

dru

Tim Horan (67)
They got opportunities, just like last game. Banks threw a poor ball to Koroibete, who also overan it. Would have been a try.

Yes that Banks pass was shite. It was also running a risk play under advantage. He had little time and could either take contact or pass. He tried to do both simultaneously and fluffed the pass. I don’t think Koroibete overran it, he had to strive to take the (forward) pass.

We really do need to take some of these opportunities. It isn’t particularly annoying to miss that one. It is annoying that we took absolutely not one chance like this.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yes that Banks pass was shite. It was also running a risk play under advantage. He had little time and could either take contact or pass. He tried to do both simultaneously and fluffed the pass. I don’t think Koroibete overran it, he had to strive to take the (forward) pass.

We really do need to take some of these opportunities. It isn’t particularly annoying to miss that one. It is annoying that we took absolutely not one chance like this.

We certainly aren't banging in the tries at the moment.

Reactions: dru

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The only one in that backline who can create a lot of opportunity on his own is JP. Paisami is getting there but he needs someone with vision to put he and Petaia into holes. Banks is not creating anything at the back. Maddocks might be worth a look? The return of JOC (James O'Connor) will help. He has good vision. As some of suggested if he returns then maybe Hodge drops back to 15. Then no need to carry a 10 on the bench.
Tate McDermott makes things happen and having him on late in the game would help to open things up.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Our line out was 81% to their 75% - it was not the problem at least not on a list a major items.

Banks is criticised for high ball receipts and Hodge is suggested at 15, something I have said for a while. BUT Hodge dropped2 from memory at the tail end of the game.

We complain about dumb penalties and sure dumb penalties are grinding, but the penalty count was 12 (Arg) 11 (Aus) - it isn’t really key to this game.

Like others I was not impressed with some scrum interpretations and I don’t feel the stats reflect what I felt was Aus dominance, at least in the first half. Again though I don’t think it this turned the game.

Here’s something to ponder though:
First half possession 66%
First half territory 78%

Another item somewhat more successful. We went into this game with the widely held suggestion that the Argie loose three were going to tear us another one. While Hooper was pretty much nullified the ruck performance is a different story.
Rucks won Arg 57/58
Rucks won Aus 94/98

Not for the first time, we failed consistently to convert opportunity. Perhaps Hoops deserves a kick for that, but I am brought back to our halves. White faded in the second half IMO taking way too many steps to pass and not sniping to keep them honest.

Ideally we should have brought on a new half about 10 mins into the second. Someone to snipe and get delivery back to speed. That person is not IMO Gordon and we missed Tate.

Hodge, bless his cotton socks, one of our best. But it sure would be great to have JOC (James O'Connor) back. Paisami, also one of our best, but it still would sure be good to have To'omua back. And Lolesio on the bench is pointless unless the coach is prepared to use him. Not my call but we don’t need pine warmers, if the coach won’t use him then move him on.

I think complaints re Banks are OTT, but with Hodge current performance, and his kicking, with JOC (James O'Connor) back Hodge to 15 and encouraged to get involved.

Our selections and strategies have worked fine for the power and work to play test rugby. But they have failed to close games. Something needs to change to develop a winning habit.

PS stats used are stats guru https://www.espn.com.au/rugby/matchstats?gameId=592926&league=289274

Great summary, Dru.

Hodge's problem under the high ball was due almost entirely to Rennie substituting Tom Wright. While Wright was on the ground, he played the second fullback role, but as soon as he was replaced, Hodge had to change his whole approach and suddenly musical chairs started happening again as he dropped back to help cover the back. It is crystal clear to me that we cannot have both Koroibete and Daugunu on the field at the same time. In fact, I wouldn't have either for reasons I have put forward in earlier posts, but to take Wright off and bring Daugunu on was simply an error of huge proportions by the coach. Put that with his failure to use Lolesio late in the game and having Gordon on the bench instead of Tate, and I'm starting to have some real concerns about his judgement.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Whilst most of this post is correct you are still going to lose most viewers at your insistence of dropping Koroibete. He’s a winger, and while he’s not faultless his pros FAR outweigh his cons.

Not in two games out of four KOB, I fear. Anyway, he's apparently off overseas next year so maybe the next test will be his last for the Wallabies. I expect Ramm and Wright to make the wings their spots next year and beyond.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd argue Koroibete has one of the best feels for the game I've seen in a long time.

His reads in defense are fantastic and has saved countless tries. Essentially won us the game against NZ, how short your memory is. What's your alternative to partner with Wright? Muirhead? Kata? Maybe put Darcy Swain on the wing?

Ignorance is bliss, I'm told. Some people seem to be blissfully unaware of consistent posts on these threads. Check again DCT, you'll find I have nominated Ramm as the next best winger after Tom Wright. They are true rugby wingers with rugby brains. Koroibete is a League winger who has a good game every couple he steps out and that's when not much thinking is needed. On his crash tackling technique, he misses as many, maybe more, than he makes. He is very easily stepped by the ball carrier if he doesn't make the hit just as the ball arrives.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hey KOB. I thought Banks impact considerably higher than “zero” though I’ll look closely when I get to the replay. Anyway I come to the same conclusion that you do. Hodge could be an excellent FB and yep, he deserves the chance.

Dru, do you have the linebreak stats from this test? I can only recall Wright and White making any clean breaks and they came to nothing as the Argies' scramble defense took control. People criticising Tom Banks for failing to break the line should think of giving credit to the defensive efforts of the Pumas' backs. They have been awesome, missing very few, so much so that I reckon Hodge, Petaia, Koroibete and Daugunu also made no line breaks. Banks was certainly not Robinson Crusoe.

I would be happy to see Hodge have a game or two at fullback to see how he goes. In fact, I have been calling for just that for a few years now. But I am also wary of suggesting he will be making multiple line breaks against a defensive effort of the kind put out by the Pumas.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
What a load of rubbish. Koriebete is the current John Eales medallist and one of the few in our ranks that would get a start in most of, if not all, other top tier test sides. Are you suggesting that every other Wallaby player last year didn’t know what they were talking about or who they were voting for? That Michael Cheika and now Rennie have no idea? He is one of the first picked every test and rightly so.

BR, it’s a very long bow to draw.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The numbers don't tell the story tho - **where** the 19% failures occurred are critical. BPA had trouble stringing consecutive throws together when we were in the red zone.

When you think back to our scrum dominance in the first half, some of those lineout decisions could easily be scrums.

Some of them most definitely should have been scrums. Particularly in the first half when our scrum was monstering theirs.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think the decision was correct - Argie player (Kremer?) wasn't in possession of the ball so Hooper had no right to take him from that position. That's obstruction. There wasn't a ruck or any kind of maul-thing, and if there was you could do Hooper for being offside anyway.

Pfitzy, isn't there now an offside line at a tackle too?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
As I've crapped on about earlier, we did very well for 60 minutes. It was the crashing thud of the last 20 that kills me. It's as if suddenly our footy heads came off. And I'm not talking about mistakes in execution under duress, which I think are signs of a side getting the hang of the speed and intensity of test rugby.

I'm talking about not altering line out calls when it's clear the opposition have set up to steal a throw to Simmo. Panicked kicking when receiving a sub-par clearance kick on the half-way line. Not backing your pigs when they'd pretty much seen off the threat of Matera.

I don't think the issue was Hooper either. Yes he went for the try in tbe first half, but guess what? He still pointed to the sticks at the end of that sequence, and kept opting for the points in the second stanza.

I'm hoping the above was not a result of Rennie having a tactical kicking game plan that was poorly executed (I think that's less likely after the first half). I suspect it's the failure to stick to a game plan that was actually working, and was a reasonable prototype against Northern Hemisphere sides.

Dave, I've posted earlier, but it's worth repeating I think. The change in structure and failure to perform in the last 20 coincides with Tom Wright being replaced. With both Koroibete and Daugunu on the ground, Hodge then had to play the second fullback role, which Wright had handled so well in his time on the ground. I think Rennie has made a number of howlers in selections and tactics over this RC, but I'm hopeful he will recognise the mistakes and do the right thing in future. First and foremost, he must not have both Koroibete and Daugunu on the ground at the same time. It affects the defensive game plan as well as having two players who are more inclined to have brain fades when playing than to do good.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Dru, do you have the linebreak stats from this test? I can only recall Wright and White making any clean breaks and they came to nothing as the Argies' scramble defense took control. People criticising Tom Banks for failing to break the line should think of giving credit to the defensive efforts of the Pumas' backs. They have been awesome, missing very few, so much so that I reckon Hodge, Petaia, Koroibete and Daugunu also made no line breaks. Banks was certainly not Robinson Crusoe.

I would be happy to see Hodge have a game or two at fullback to see how he goes. In fact, I have been calling for just that for a few years now. But I am also wary of suggesting he will be making multiple line breaks against a defensive effort of the kind put out by the Pumas.

Stats of course are not everything and I can’t vouch for their accuracy - but they can tell a story and these are easily accessible.

Stats guru gave us 4 clean breaks. One each you will be glad to know to:
Banks
Wright
White
BPA.

So your recollection is pretty good.

Hodge, Petaia, Koroibete and Daugunu made no clean breaks but their runs and metres made are interesting:
Hodge: 11 runs for 74m
Petaia: 5 runs for 55m
Koroibete: 5 runs for 35m
Daugunu: with little time still made 3 runs for 23m

add in
Banks: 7 runs for 44m
Wright: 4 runs for 32m

It has taken me a while to warm to Banks and it is something still in progress for Wright. At the end of the day in this game, I think the pack largely did their job, but the backs I’m not so sure about. Capitalising on opportunity is not JUST the backs, but we did not do it. Rennie puts it to a fail to follow the kicking plan.

Hopefully the boys get better at implementing instructions - then we will see how effective the Rennie plan is.