• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Argentina 7 Oct 2017 in Mendoza

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Soo. Back to the game this weekend.

Anyone envision any changes to the XV? Was TPN really that much better last weekend than Moore has been? Thought Squeak looked good (bar the missed cleanout) when he came on. Still has got great hands/can offload.

Absolutely

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
He has also been in the Wallabies squad on the EOYT, in June and through the Rugby Championship.

After that amount of time it is far less of an experimental selection. They have had a lot of time to work on all the areas they thought needed it and pick him when they thought he was ready. I think that showed in his performance on debut.

Yes he had a good attacking game. Yes, when he tackles someone they stay hit. Yes, he's potentially a star of the future. But his defensive positioning on multiple occasions was awful. Against a team like NZ who score against you every time you make the slightest error, he would be a huge risk. He's got a hell of a lot to learn and so far he has not shown himself to be a quick study. For me, the jury is still out.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes he had a good attacking game. Yes, when he tackles someone they stay hit. Yes, he's potentially a star of the future. But his defensive positioning on multiple occasions was awful. Against a team like NZ who score against you every time you make the slightest error, he would be a huge risk. He's got a hell of a lot to learn and so far he has not shown himself to be a quick study. For me, the jury is still out.

I agree with all of that although don't know if I'd go as far as saying his defensive positioning was awful.

Flip it around. Would you be reverting back to Speight or Rona for this weekend and then the third Bledisloe?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Team announcement must be soon. I'd like to see Rodda and Coleman as starting locks, with Tui, McMahon and Hooper in the backrow. Simmons, Dempsey and Hanigan on the bench so that we can inject an energiser bunny as required. With all the travel and consequent fatigue, I would keep the 6:2 bench configuration. Phipps and Meakes on the bench with Meakes to get at least 20 minutes. Meakes to come to 12, Beale to 15 and Folau to take either Koro or Hodge's wing spot, depending on who is most fatigued.

All plans assuming injuries don't intervene.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Team announcement must be soon.

It's midnight in Buenos Aires now. Unless it has already been done and is waiting with the ARU for release during the afternoon Sydney time, I wouldn't expect it until during the night tonight.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I agree with all of that although don't know if I'd go as far as saying his defensive positioning was awful.

Flip it around. Would you be reverting back to Speight or Rona for this weekend and then the third Bledisloe?

Rona missed his chance. To be fair to the guy it was not in his regular position and against NZ so a bit rough on him but s'life.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

This week I'd start Koro, carefully review his game and then decide who to start between him and Speight against NZ.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Is there a place that provides individual stats per player per game?

According to Forcefan Rodda only hit 4 rucks meaning he had a specific role to play or he was incredibly inefficient. Would like to see tackles made, run metres etc.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

According to Forcefan Rodda only hit 4 rucks meaning he had a specific role to play or he was incredibly inefficient. Would like to see tackles made, run metres etc.

According to ESPNscrum he made 4 runs for 2m and only had 3 tackles.

Certainly not the workrate we are after. You would need to review the game and watch him closely to work out why his involvements were so low.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This season has been so close. Assuming we beat Argentina, and pretending we scored an additional 8 points over three games, we could have been going into a Bledisloe decider with 5/6 games won.

Missing that 1%.

K

KAOPointman

How could you not go with Koiebetti after his pretty good overall game last week. There's no reason to bed
Live he won't get even better......and that's what we want. Give players time to shine. And yes Rona certainly drew the short straw so far.....

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

There's a vodacom rugby app that covers super rugby and the RC..........

It uses the same stats as SANZAAR, and generally more accurate than fox sports or espn.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
1. Scott Sio (37 Tests)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (76 Tests)
3. Sekope Kepu (85 Tests)
4. Izack Rodda (3 Tests)
5. Adam Coleman (16 Tests)
6. Jack Dempsey (4 Tests)
7. Michael Hooper (c) (73 Tests)
8. Sean McMahon (20 Tests)
9. Will Genia (vc) (83 Tests)
10. Bernard Foley (vc) (50 Tests)
11. Reece Hodge (18 Tests)
12. Kurtley Beale (65 Tests)
13. Tevita Kuridrani (52 Tests)
14. Marika Koroibete (2 Tests)
15. Israel Folau (60 Tests)

Reserves
16. Stephen Moore (123 Tests)
17. Tetera Faulkner (2 Tests)
18. Allan Ala'alatoa (17 Tests)
19. Rob Simmons (76 Tests)
20. Lukhan Tui (1 Test)
21. Nick Phipps (56 Tests)
22. Samu Kerevi (12 Tests)
23. Henry Speight (16 Tests

T

TOCC

Hanigan and Robertson dropped from the 23, Faulkner and Speight onto the bench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Hanigan and Robertson dropped from the 23, Faulkner and Speight onto the bench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That should shut some people up for the week but I suspect it's just rotation. Looking forward to seeing how Tui goes in the loose.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That should shut some people up for the week but I suspect it's just rotation. Looking forward to seeing how Tui goes in the loose.

It's rotation unless the unit has a blinder and demands re-selection

Status
Not open for further replies.