• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v British & Irish Lions, 3rd Test (Sydney)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I was up near the rafters, so the intricacies of the game were missed and it will be a few weeks before I will be prepared watch a replay, if ever.

On the crowd, just fantastic atmosphere, no agro, just cheering, laughing and hand shakes at the end.

Despite the loss, just a wonderful experience

I thought we were edging into the game in that second half, but the effort to get close took too much out of us. Add that to every scrum being at worst a penalty and a 40m stroll up the ground. It wasn't surprising to see us crumble

On the Aus game plan, I just couldn't understand why we weren't using channel 1 ball and getting it out fast and dirty. For the first half Genia would move 10m behind the scrum waiting for Palu to pick it up and pass or run.

I did also see is how good Halfpenny is at covering the field. You would see the space that the Aus player was seeing and before the kick had left our hands HP had moved to cover that space, time and time again

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Whilst the scrum played a big role in the Wallabies demise it's not the real reason you lost.

Lesser Wallaby teams have coped with a "Wobbly" scrum :) in the past by playing intelligent rugby and STILL bossing the breakdown.

A few things completely dumbfounded me last night.

1. Absolutely dismal, shocking kicking out of hand from JOC (James O'Connor), Beale and Genia. I have to ask whether these guys even practice kicking? How can you keep missing touch and keep hitting it up the middle if you know it is going to come back in spades? If your scrum is under pressure you have to get out of your half and they failed 100% on that score.
2. Horwill not opting for goal. It's the second time this year he has done this to the detriment of the team. Terrible decision making. What's he trying to do, appeal to the journos that bitch about penalty kicks every other day?

One more thing on scrums:

Two teams have a clean slate before a game. They can study the opp as much as the ref in equal measure. They KNOW with each and every ref what will press his buttons. They have the opportunity to devise a plan that very much includes milking penalties. The team that plans best and executes this best generally come out top at scrum time. The Lions wrote the book last night. The Wallabies have nobody to blame but themselves. It's a process. Not just a bunch of fat guys pushing. Some people on this board don't understand this and as a result they simply aren't qualified to comment.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Two teams have a clean slate before a game. They can study the opp as much as the ref in equal measure. They KNOW with each and every ref what will press his buttons. They have the opportunity to devise a plan [...]

Great quote Blue, woulda been handy post the semi in RWC11!

Seriously though, agree with your post apart from Horwill's option not to kick which had some merit imo merit when you are struggling to make their 22 and struggling to maintain momentum.

Nathan's

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think you will find you need to have to have two props on the bench. That is why the bench increased to 8 even though you are only allowed 7 substitutions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeh for sure, the team I listed is rather a guide as to the talent we have at our disposal which we aren't using. Instead we opt to put players out of position. O'Connor at 10 - Runs across field, doesn't provide many options to the other backs and subsequently cramps their space. Beale - out of form 15, makes one spectacular play and doesn't do much else, handling reasonably poor but he is getting back to his best (still shouldn't have been thrusted back into the team).

The thing i don't like is, that no matter how good the rest of the players from Super rugby are, who are vying for that position, we are unlikely to pick them.

Experience is obviously an issue, but if you look at the side that played the test series. MOWEN didn't fail, LEALI'IFANO didn't fail and FOLAU didn't fail. Not to mention those who came off the bench.

For mine, Mogg should have started at 15 (instead of Barnes- who was virtually playing out of position) from the opening test. He was the in-form 15 from super rugby, arguably the best in the whole competition. He gives us a thumping left foot boot, and last night was the only player who didn't kick it straight to Halfpenny. He caught the high ball and took it to the Lions.

Godwin and Tapuai should have been there. Along with Kimlin and Hugh Pyle, who I reckon has been one of the best locks out of Australia for a few years now, however just not getting his chance.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Whilst the scrum played a big role in the Wallabies demise it's not the real reason you lost.

Lesser Wallaby teams have coped with a "Wobbly" scrum :) in the past by playing intelligent rugby and STILL bossing the breakdown.

A few things completely dumbfounded me last night.

1. Absolutely dismal, shocking kicking out of hand from JOC (James O'Connor), Beale and Genia. I have to ask whether these guys even practice kicking? How can you keep missing touch and keep hitting it up the middle if you know it is going to come back in spades? If your scrum is under pressure you have to get out of your half and they failed 100% on that score.
2. Horwill not opting for goal. It's the second time this year he has done this to the detriment of the team. Terrible decision making. What's he trying to do, appeal to the journos that bitch about penalty kicks every other day?

One more thing on scrums:

Two teams have a clean slate before a game. They can study the opp as much as the ref in equal measure. They KNOW with each and every ref what will press his buttons. They have the opportunity to devise a plan that very much includes milking penalties. The team that plans best and executes this best generally come out top at scrum time. The Lions wrote the book last night. The Wallabies have nobody to blame but themselves. It's a process. Not just a bunch of fat guys pushing. Some people on this board don't understand this and as a result they simply aren't qualified to comment.
This in spades. Sitting behind the posts at one end gave an interesting view of the kicking game all night. Ours was utterly appalling. Beale and O'Connor, in particular, seem to hack at the ball, and kicks gained little ground, and often went straight to the player, or meaninglessly down the centre of the field. Halfpenny played a very good positional game, but they hardly tested him. Genia was poor in this regard also.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Mogg was the only one to beat 0.5p with a kick - a low, flat bastard of a punt that the quick little chap had no chance of getting. The others put in these floating pieces of shit that gave him all the time in the world. The fact that they didn't go out was just the icing on the shit cake

Genia was the worst I can remember him playing at Test level. Kicking, passing, running all below par for him

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
How was the kicking from JOC (James O'Connor), and Beale in particular any different to what has been served by players in their respective positions for years by the Wallabies? They haven't played a conservative game in many years where they have kicked for the line, and again last night I don't think at any stage the players were actually kicking for territory or indeed kicking to allow pressure to be brought to bare on the receiver. They were kicks to send the ball deep to allow the Wallabies to defend further from their own line. This was and has been a long term tactic, and it is an example of the risk averse plan I harp on about, as opposed to a conservative plan which would have sought the line.

When Mogg was brought on the difference between the aim of his kicks and what went before was stark. When we consider the fact that he would still have been in Brumbies mode in his thinking this should not be surprising.

One final point regarding kicking, any doubts that anybody had regarding Folau's kicking abilities should now be put to bed. The one clearing kick he put in made the Lions 10 Metre line from 5 metres inside his own 22. It cleared the line with distance to spare and prevented any quick lineout (not that the Lions were likely to opt for it future opponents in the ABs and Boks are likely to use this option). If we consider what I have posted as the core skills required for a 15 then in this Wallabies squad only Folau and Mogg have displayed those attributes this year, year neither were selected in that position to start.

vismyr

Peter Burge (5)
Congrats to the Lions -- what a wonderful result for rugby and to guarantee the ongoing extended tours. I tipped a 10 point win, since this was the first time we really saw WG's preferred team in the tests, and what a difference it made.

Full respect to the Wallabies for fighting back and getting close to taking the lead, only to be denied by outstanding Lions defence. And the last half hour was a showcase of the Lions power rugby, mixed with speed. Great entertainment!

It's been a fantastic series, and the quality of rugby played by the Lions in this last test was a fitting finale to a very close series. Unfortunately injuries played a large part in that, but such is rugby.

Personally, I hope they do replace Deans with Mckenzie before The Rugby Championship. I'm so tired of listening to Marno winge about picking Cooper and his other changes. So please, give Ewan his shot and let him pick his queenslanders. Who will Marno blame when they lose then?

And just a quick comment on the Fox coverage, have really enjoyed the informed commentary, charm and humour that Nathan Sharpe has brought to the team (did anyone see when he rubbed the microphone into Horwill's chin this week -- hilarious). Along with Nick (charming host), Brendan and Kafe, its been a pleasure. Just have to get rid of Marno (idiot) and Kearns (one-eyed buff head)!

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
A deserved win by the Lions, brilliant kick-off tactic from them, no-one ever kicks long at the start now-days, totally confused us!!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
How was the kicking from JOC (James O'Connor), and Beale in particular any different to what has been served by players in their respective positions for years by the Wallabies? They haven't played a conservative game in many years where they have kicked for the line, and again last night I don't think at any stage the players were actually kicking for territory or indeed kicking to allow pressure to be brought to bare on the receiver. They were kicks to send the ball deep to allow the Wallabies to defend further from their own line. This was and has been a long term tactic, and it is an example of the risk averse plan I harp on about, as opposed to a conservative plan which would have sought the line.

When Mogg was brought on the difference between the aim of his kicks and what went before was stark. When we consider the fact that he would still have been in Brumbies mode in his thinking this should not be surprising.

One final point regarding kicking, any doubts that anybody had regarding Folau's kicking abilities should now be put to bed. The one clearing kick he put in made the Lions 10 Metre line from 5 metres inside his own 22. It cleared the line with distance to spare and prevented any quick lineout (not that the Lions were likely to opt for it future opponents in the ABs and Boks are likely to use this option). If we consider what I have posted as the core skills required for a 15 then in this Wallabies squad only Folau and Mogg have displayed those attributes this year, year neither were selected in that position to start.
Fair point - they have been bad before, but I guess I had a different perspective, sitting end-on, rather than side-on (as we see on TV) and the kicking looked even worse than usual!
And that kick of Folau's was a peach - effortless, smooth, good distance and direction.
Funnily, in the warm up, Beale and O'Connor kicked slow and smoothly, in stark contrast to the game where they were anything but. Mogg, in the warm up was knocking them 45-50m with no effort at all. Timing is everything.

T

TOCC

Kane Douglas was out of his depth, Palu was ineffective, the George Smith experiment was a failure, Genia didn't come to the party, Alexander was shown up badly, JOC (James O'Connor)'s sole try will somewhat gloss over his failure as a 5/8.

Positives from his series:
Lealifano, Mogg, Mowen, Izzy

Form speaks volume, the alleged 'class' some players possess and were picked on was never displayed....

Sack Robbie

NFL

Frank Nicholson (4)
If we consider what I have posted as the core skills required for a 15 then in this Wallabies squad only Folau and Mogg have displayed those attributes this year, year neither were selected in that position to start.

I agree.

IMHO, Change the starting line-up to reflect recent form and if you must have them, put the 'superstars' on the bench.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
dh_beale2-20130624063616549395-620x349.jpg

For Want of 21mm, a series was lost

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

Law 4.3 Studs
(a) Studs of players’ boots must conform with the IRB Specifications (Regulation 12).
REGULATION 12. PROVISIONS RELATING TO PLAYERS’ DRESS
3. Studs
Studs of players’ boots must conform to the “Safety Aspects of Rugby Boot Sole Design” set out below
Shape and Dimensions
Stud/cleat length shall be no greater than 21 mm (see Law 4).
Studs/cleats complying with the design and dimensions shown in Figure 1 should give satisfactory performance.

Figure 1 shows a conical stud that is:
21mm maximum length
20mm minimum width at the sole
13mm minimum width at base of the shaft
10mm minimum width at the tip of the shaft.

Gurz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Congrats to the Lions -- what a wonderful result for rugby and to guarantee the ongoing extended tours. I tipped a 10 point win, since this was the first time we really saw WG's preferred team in the tests, and what a difference it made.

Full respect to the Wallabies for fighting back and getting close to taking the lead, only to be denied by outstanding Lions defence. And the last half hour was a showcase of the Lions power rugby, mixed with speed. Great entertainment!

It's been a fantastic series, and the quality of rugby played by the Lions in this last test was a fitting finale to a very close series. Unfortunately injuries played a large part in that, but such is rugby.

Personally, I hope they do replace Deans with Mckenzie before The Rugby Championship. I'm so tired of listening to Marno winge about picking Cooper and his other changes. So please, give Ewan his shot and let him pick his queenslanders. Who will Marno blame when they lose then?

And just a quick comment on the Fox coverage, have really enjoyed the informed commentary, charm and humour that Nathan Sharpe has brought to the team (did anyone see when he rubbed the microphone into Horwill's chin this week -- hilarious). Along with Nick (charming host), Brendan and Kafe, its been a pleasure. Just have to get rid of Marno (idiot) and Kearns (one-eyed buff head)!

Re one eyed commentary go listen kiwi commentators and get total impartiality from them..... Or Saffa commentators... Whatever mate ur watching rugby in this country expect a bit patriotism... Marto is right by the way even from the perspective of a non qlder.... I think kiwis seem to miss his sense of humour completely... for the record Deans contributed to this loss in a very large way by selecting players out of position and holding grudges....

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Kane Douglas was out of his depth, Palu was ineffective, the George Smith experiment was a failure, Genia didn't come to the party, Alexander was shown up badly, JOC (James O'Connor)'s sole try will somewhat gloss over his failure as a 5/8.

Positives from his series:
Lealifano, Mogg, Mowen, Izzy

Form speaks volume, the alleged 'class' some players possess and were picked on was never displayed..

Sack Robbie

Disagree, Thought George was much better then Hooper previously. Apart from his knock he played strong. Even got a turn-over early on.

Completely agree with all other points though.

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
Re one eyed commentary go listen kiwi commentators and get total impartiality from them... Or Saffa commentators. Whatever mate ur watching rugby in this country expect a bit patriotism. Marto is right by the way even from the perspective of a non qlder.. I think kiwis seem to miss his sense of humour completely. for the record Deans contributed to this loss in a very large way by selecting players out of position and holding grudges..

I've never been a fan of the Fox Sports commentators tbh.

I had the Channel Ten commentary on for the entire series and it was brilliant to hear Gordon Bray back behind the mic again.

Burkey and Horan have been pretty good as well.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Hey, can anyone on the ground shed any light on the spat between Beale and the Lions players after the second or third try was scored? Unfortunately it occurred just off camera, but seemed extremely petulant where after the try was scored, Beale shouldered the Lions player, another Lions player came past and said something to Beale and next thing you see Beale chasing and shaping up to tackle the second Lions player into the advertising hoarding, but he then dissappeared off to the side of the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.