• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v British & Irish Lions, 3rd Test (Sydney)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Hey, can anyone on the ground shed any light on the spat between Beale and the Lions players after the second or third try was scored? Unfortunately it occurred just off camera, but seemed extremely petulant where after the try was scored, Beale shouldered the Lions player, another Lions player came past and said something to Beale and next thing you see Beale chasing and shaping up to tackle the second Lions player into the advertising hoarding, but he then dissappeared off to the side of the screen.

Yep noticed that. Bad sportsmanship from Beale. I'm actually glad they did not show this on camera and the focus was on the game.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
One more thing on scrums:

Two teams have a clean slate before a game. They can study the opp as much as the ref in equal measure. They KNOW with each and every ref what will press his buttons. They have the opportunity to devise a plan that very much includes milking penalties. The team that plans best and executes this best generally come out top at scrum time. The Lions wrote the book last night. The Wallabies have nobody to blame but themselves. It's a process. Not just a bunch of fat guys pushing. Some people on this board don't understand this and as a result they simply aren't qualified to comment.

Oh sorry Matt Burke, but I for one believe that the ref should adjudicate on every single scrum (in fact every single play) on its merits and not on some preconceived idea of what is going on. If he can't then he should not be a professional referee!

The Lions rightly won penalties in the scrum for wallaby infringements but when the Lions made similar infringements (ie when Corbisero couldn't get under Kepu he simply folded) then Poite gave them a reset instead of penalising. On this basis alone he should not be a paid referee!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Another argument over scum's and the Ref's inability to referee it effectively. We need a thread to think of solutions as this is becoming an extreme negative in such a beautiful game. Bring in a scrum ref? Change the rules?

I don't have enough scrum knowledge to start the thread myself but boy am I sick of hearing about Ref's and Scrums.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
How is it possible that we didn't utilise Lilo more to set up the play for those around him. At half time we were all calling for Lilo and JOC (James O'Connor) to swap positions.

I believe we would have won this test series if we have a 10 that could better control play and utilise his backline. O'Connors very poor positioning, control and lack of basic skills for the flyhalf role is reason enough for Deans to lose his job.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Another argument over scum's and the Ref's inability to referee it effectively. We need a thread to think of solutions as this is becoming an extreme negative in such a beautiful game. Bring in a scrum ref? Change the rules?

If you go down to your local club there is no crisis. The beautiful scrurms still exist and are the referees have little work to do. Scrums are no more problematic than any other aspect of the game.

It seems as though the issue is that the better players get at scrumming, the more they try to ruin scrums to gain a penalty. So at this point in the elite era we have a bunch of world class props who have a full time job of trying to find ways to bring down an opposition scrum.

One idea would be to make all scrum infringements a free kick to remove that incentive.

Or we can just let this whole process evolve. At the end of the day it's their game (the players and coaches), and if they are happy to continue down this path then so be it.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Here's a photo I took yesterday between the Breakers and Brothers in Queensland Premier Rugby. Looks great.
SSM_4296.jpg

Gurz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Scrum changes will mean that props 'bind' in stead of 'touch'... Ie bind pause engage. Hopefully will get rid of interpretations of ref and dominant scrum more obvious.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think the most important 'change' is the steady scrum before the put in rule and the straight feed. neither are changes just things referees decided not to enforce.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
The aim is to take the 'hit' out of the equation and depower the scrums. It will be a lot harder for the prop to get under his opponent in this environment and will simplify the refs job. Angling in and incorrect feed will be the main issues I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

I don't have enough scrum knowledge to start the thread myself but boy am I sick of hearing about Ref's and Scrums.

Does the video ref communicate with the ref during stoppages in play? This won't solve individual instances but he can monitor general trends and advice on what he sees. Maybe this could help get on top of conceptions.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
As an assistant referee it is your job to closely watch the scrums. At that level they give frequent information to the referee and will discuss scrums at half time.

Analyzing scrums on TV pictures is a long process and wouldn't be something that couldn't be done by the TMO on the night. The best advice/solutions will be from those on the field with a feel of how the scrums are going and can hear input from the players.

Last night I think it was probably handled well given the tactics of both front rows, there wasn't much of an option other than to keep penalizing players collapsing. Whether or not those penalties were technically right and awarded to the correct team, I guess we'll have to wait for some analysis to come in.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Sorry about the terrible posts last night boys and girls. I was very disappointed. To let in such easy try's. it was heart shattering!

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Yep noticed that. Bad sportsmanship from Beale. I'm actually glad they did not show this on camera and the focus was on the game.
Those try's would of been very hard to swallow. The lions player could Of said something that was barely insulting and a lot of
Good players would have reacted in some way. It must of been very hard watching the game rip through their fingers. Like you said. Thankfully the camera showed the lions celebrations instead of Beal loosing the plot.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Lots of people have highlighted the scrum, breakdown and kicking (bar Mogg) as keys to the loss. I would add the tendency of both Beale and O'Connor to take away space from the men outside them. The contrast with Halfpenny was startling. He always straightens or veers inside just enough to pull or hold the outside defender and then ensure that his winger has the room necessary to beat his man. Tomane, Mogg and Folau were often left with just two or three meters until the sideline and a defender in front of them. Both Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) look for space rather than create it and this often hurts the team.

Despite the heartbreak, it was amazing to be a part of such a huge match. The Lions fans were great -- friendly, good banter, not a bit of nastiness. I was stoked to see so much hold in attendance too. A great showing by fans of both teams. Best sporting event I've ever been to.

Bring on 2025!

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
You're embarrassing yourself mate. As Hornet said, pull your fucking head in.. and maybe take some time to learn the laws of the game.
Speaking of laws of the game. I just saw a replay of Beal tipping the ball back into the field of play but the ball was past the touch line. I thought there was plane of touch?

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I had thought of sending Bill Pulver an email, suggesting you and The Brown Hornet go 5 x 3 min rounds (with gloves) in the centre of the field as part of the pre-match entertainment at the upcoming BC match!
I would be up for that. Claim to fame. Lol

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
My thoughts in the game.

Obviously the rub of the green was against us.
Missed first catch
Try in first few minutes
George knocked out
Israel off injured

Any one of these things individually makes it hard to win, but all four?

I thought the Lions seemed to be going in off their feet and lying on the rucks in the first half especially, I vaguely recall wondering why they weren't getting penalised. I think because they got a sniff early they were hitting the rucks with real speed but a bit reckless.

They dominated our scrum no doubt about it, and we were taking too long to get the ball out from under the locks feet. I did think they started collapsing scrums in the last 20 minutes knowing the worst that could happen would be a penalty, but it was a risk worth taking knowing the Ref was primed to penalise the Wallabies

Jesse Mogg could make the step up.

We need a traditional 5/8, Im thinking To'omua at this stage

James Slipper is the next most likely candidate.

We missed Pocock and Higginbotham hugely.

Status
Not open for further replies.