• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England: Match II @ Suncorp 7.55pm AEST, 09/07

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
I'd have liked to see Vunivalu get a run over Wright who I don't think has as much potential at test level, but you can't really say it's a howler or anything. Still a decent team, Kellaway is a loss though.

I suspect Wrights inclusion is more about him being a known quantity defensively and under the high ball, which is probably fair enough

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Need to make sure Paisami has his tackling technique on point for the weekend. Don't want another 14 man performance with a slipped up tackle/adrenaline.

Powerful team. Should be an interesting game. Need Petaia and Wright to have good early touches for their confidence otherwise I could be a tough night.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Need to make sure Paisami has his tackling technique on point for the weekend. Don't want another 14 man performance with a slipped up tackle/adrenaline.

Powerful team. Should be an interesting game. Need Petaia and Wright to have good early touches for their confidence otherwise I could be a tough night.
Let's see them try that out the back move with Paisami homing in on the receiver at a million miles an hour..

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Actually really pumped to see Paisami get a shot outside Kerevi. Smith and Farrell are not going to want to run the ball ever :D
Will Hunter's penchant for running out of the line for the big hit suit the team's defensive patterns at 13? His defence otherwise has sometimes had questions about it also. Not sure that the England centres won't regard it as a better opportunity for their attack than when running against Lenny I. If he gets a fair share of the ball, I can see him having a big influence in attack. Just defence where I feel uneasy.

EDIT : Reckon this confirms Paisami is ahead of Perese in the pecking order.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
My fears exactly. He's also prone for a few slippery passes and catches.

Wouldn't hate him though lining up Smith on his sneaky unders line.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Sheeesh, Marika, Samu, Hunter and Jordan. Hopefully we see plenty of inside balls or cut backs against the flow as they'll be sucking in two defenders each.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Interesting analysis on Neville from Nick Bishop @ Roar:
Cadeyrn Neville has been widely lauded for his contribution, but in truth it was a curate’s egg – good in parts. He topped the Australian tackle count with 17 and tied Michael Hooper for top spot in key ruck arrivals at cleanout time with 19. He forced one turnover with a choke tackle and made another try-saver in the corner.
On the other side of the coin, a midfield mis-read on defence resulted in a big first half break by Tom Curry.
This was a typical example of the collision outcomes in the first period. First Will Stuart runs over the top of one Brumbies second row (Swain), then Neville picks the wrong runner on the following phase, jamming in on Maro Itoje and cutting Curry loose.

Two of Neville’s three lineout wins were spoiled at source, and four of his carries were either passive, or lacked linkage to the attacking pattern.

edit: he also goes on to laud Philip alot actually. Here's the article with the accompanying videos:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
307 test caps on the bench. I like how we now have a bench of finishers with huge test match experience. Easy to see how it impacts on the final quarter of the game. No doubt the influence of Rennie as coach, but also aligned perfectly with how Dan MacKellar has run the Brumbies this year.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Hot damn, knives are out:
15. Freddie Steward
14. Jack Nowell
13. Guy Porter
12. Owen Farrell
11. Tommy Freeman
10. Marcus Smith
9. Jack van Poortlviet
1. Ellis Genge
2. Jamie George
3. Will Stuart
4. Maro Itoje
5. Jonny Hill
6. Courtney Lawes (C)
7. Sam Underhill
8. Billy Vunipola
Finishers
16. Luke Cowan-Dickie
17. Mako Vunipola
18. Joe Heyes
19. Ollie Chessum
20. Lewis Ludlam
21. Jack Willis
22. Danny Care
23. Henry Arundell

edit: debutant 13 & 14 evens up our injured 13 & 14 nicely.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My source tells me:
1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. Tupou
4. Philip
5. Neville
6. Leota
7. Hooper
8. Valentini
9. White
10. Lolesio (Quade Cooper undergoing scans)
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Petaia
15. Kellaway
16. Faainga
17. Sio
18. Slipper
19. Frost
20. Samu
21. Gordon
22. JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)
23. Wright
Pretty much on the money allowing for late injuries being reported to Kellaway and Ikitau. How close to the team is your source?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hot damn, knives are out:
15. Freddie Steward
14. Jack Nowell
13. Guy Porter
12. Owen Farrell
11. Tommy Freeman
10. Marcus Smith
9. Jack van Poortlviet
1. Ellis Genge
2. Jamie George
3. Will Stuart
4. Maro Itoje
5. Jonny Hill
6. Courtney Lawes (C)
7. Sam Underhill
8. Billy Vunipola
Finishers
16. Luke Cowan-Dickie
17. Mako Vunipola
18. Joe Heyes
19. Ollie Chessum
20. Lewis Ludlam
21. Jack Willis
22. Danny Care
23. Henry Arundell

edit: debutant 13 & 14 evens up our injured 13 & 14 nicely.
Stoked Hill is still playing.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Can't say I know much about their youngsters in Van Poortvliet and Tommy Freeman. I watch a bit of prem rugby and they've never really caught my eye. But in Eddie we trust (I think?). Same goes for Porter, hope his countrymen give him a good welcome home beating.

I will never feel optimistic about a Wallabies game but this England team doesn't look fantastic. Don't think they have their balance right with Lawes at 6. I would've pushed him back to where he plays best at 5, dropped Hill and started Ludlam at 6 who was pretty great last week.

Eh, anything can happen. Another red card, some of Hooper's miraculous try line defensive efforts ruled against him instead (which I thought was close last week) and we're in trouble.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maybe Hill decides to target someone else's hair?

ff4ba89642f2bff9f856302bf72a560e3d6ef7ae

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
On second look of the team this would have to be one of the most physical and brutal Wallabies teams i can think back to.

Bell
Tupou
Philip
Leota
Valentini
Koroibete
Kerevi
Paisami
Perese

All are absolute monsters in contact and can all bend the line.

Question marks over the finishing ability with the untried 13/14/15 combination which will need to really step up.

Can't believe the Poms didn't go with the young kid Arundell on the wing. Farrell and Smith to continue getting in each others way.

Status
Not open for further replies.