• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England: Match II @ Suncorp 7.55pm AEST, 09/07

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tom Wright played more NRL games than Perese...
Yeah you're right, for some reason I thought he was just in a squad and never played

I just read the article and he's just assuming that 2 of Vunivalu/Wright/Perese will go into 14 and 23 so nothing concrete there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it will come down to whether they view having Wright as the backup fullback with Petaia as the backup 13 is a better option than having Perese as the backup 13 but no strong backup option at 15.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think it will come down to whether they view having Wright as the backup fullback with Petaia as the backup 13 is a better option than having Perese as the backup 13 but no strong backup option at 15.
JOC (James O'Connor) could cover 15 i guess. I like Parese such a damaging runner.

Parese covers 11-14
JOC (James O'Connor) 10 and 15

Vs

Wright 11,14 and 15
JOC (James O'Connor) 10

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'm really doubtful they want to try Perese as a wing option with so much disruption to the back 3 already, he's barely played there on the last couple of years

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm really doubtful they want to try Perese as a wing option with so much disruption to the back 3 already, he's barely played there on the last couple of years

Isn't it where he started at the Reds and then played a few games for the Broncos in the NRL? I would have thought they'd be more comfortable putting him there at the moment, less to read defensively etc.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah Perese playing on the wing is fine, might not be great under the high ball and I'm not sure about his kicking ability although I'd rather he run everything back anyway just like Korobiete. Playing on the wing allows him to play a more Korobiete style too with runs from the base of rucks that he often did for the Tahs too.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) could cover 15 i guess. I like Parese such a damaging runner.

Parese covers 11-14
JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) 10 and 15

Vs

Wright 11,14 and 15
JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) 10
That's why I'd be inclined to go with Hodge over JOC (James O'Connor) - JOC (James O'Connor) is a better player but Hodge covers more positions including 10.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Vunivalu makes sense if the Wallabies expect the English to resort back to Farrell at 10 and the Poms play 10 man rugby to stifle our backs.

Vuni hasn't been that great this season with catching the high ball, but I keep getting told he was Folau-esque during his NRL time.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah Perese playing on the wing is fine, might not be great under the high ball and I'm not sure about his kicking ability although I'd rather he run everything back anyway just like Korobiete. Playing on the wing allows him to play a more Korobiete style too with runs from the base of rucks that he often did for the Tahs too.
And that describes why I think Perese would only be used as replacement for Koroebete, Similar players with similar skills thoght Marika has it over Perese in spade for experience.

Think it's more likely that Petia will move to 15, Wright at 14 and Hodge on the bench.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Vuni hasn't been that great this season with catching the high ball, but I keep getting told he was Folau-esque during his NRL time.
In the NRL the wingers rarely take defensive kicks like they do in rugby, usually they are able to get set, have pretty obvious blockers in place etc.

Regardless, his effectiveness with the high ball definitely was in attack and he's shown glimpses of that with the Reds. I think he adds a good point of difference in attack.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
  1. Angus Bell (17 Tests)
  2. David Porecki (1 Test)
  3. Taniela Tupou (38 Tests)
  4. Matt Philip (21 Tests)
  5. Cadeyrn Neville (1 Test)
  6. Rob Leota (7 Tests)
  7. Michael Hooper (c) (119 Tests)
  8. Rob Valetini (19 Tests)
  9. Nic White (48 Tests)
  10. Noah Lolesio (10 Tests)
  11. Marika Koroibete (43 Tests)
  12. Samu Kerevi (39 Tests)
  13. Hunter Paisami (15 Tests)
  14. Tom Wright (10 Tests)
  15. Jordan Petaia (17 Tests)
    Replacements
  16. Folau Fainga’a (26 Tests)
  17. Scott Sio (70 Tests)
  18. James Slipper (115 Tests)
  19. Nick Frost*
  20. Pete Samu (20 Tests)
  21. Jake Gordon (11 Tests)
  22. James O'Connor (62 Tests)
  23. Izaia Perese (2 Tests)
Ikitau injured apparently

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No real surprises, although I thought Vunivalu might have got the bench gig...

Edit: whoops, didn't notice Paisami in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.