• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England: Match II @ Suncorp 7.55pm AEST, 09/07

Status
Not open for further replies.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
What is the law regarding the lineout try Eng scored? Itoje caught the throw at 4 and passed it straight away (whilst still in the air) to the player at 2 who was then driven over the try line unopposed as the Australian defence had formed on itoje.
Once Itoje passed it doesn’t that mean lineout over and it’s not a maul? Ie ball carrier can be tackled and multiple players can’t bind and drive him over the line?

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Outplayed in the first half in the tight, England kicked random penalties for nothing, we waste our set piece chances in the second half

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Sexton played for Ireland after going off in game 1 with a head knock.
They said he passed the early concussion protocols.
So maybe petaia will be ok…
I’m guessing rules are different across levels of competition these days.

In qld prem rugby if you are deemed to have been knocked out (not just have the wobbly boots), even if you pass early protocols afterwards you pretty much miss a week.

I know it sounds cynical but professional teams probably know the loopholes if they really want a bloke to play. Regardless, judging by the look of Petaia and the impact of his K.O. You’d have to think the smart money is on him missing a week or two.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
What is the law regarding the lineout try Eng scored? Itoje caught the throw at 4 and passed it straight away (whilst still in the air) to the player at 2 who was then driven over the try line unopposed as the Australian defence had formed on itoje.
Once Itoje passed it doesn’t that mean lineout over and it’s not a maul? Ie ball carrier can be tackled and multiple players can’t bind and drive him over the line?
A maul can be formed at any time though during play, regardless of whether the lineout is over or not. At least I think that’s still the rule.

Once the additional English players bind to Vunipolo and initiate contact with the Wallaby tacklers, it becomes a maul. I don’t think it’s much different to when a player pulls the ball down after they catch it and initiates a sideways transfer to a different pod of players, which is used quite frequently.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I was yelling at the TV calling it a flying wedge at the time!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Entertaining game, we put in a good comeback but at the end of the day a 19 point start was too much of an obstacle. The injuries didn’t help, and the home nations officiating crew were a joke, particularly the muppet in the TMO box.

I’m not sure if they’ll bother for just one game but if they are going to bring in cover from the A squad I’d say it will be Hanigan, Foketi and Campbell.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Look at it this way fellas, makes next week's game in Sydney a must see decider, so look at the bright side. Well what I saying to my Mrs about ABs loss as we going to decider in Wellington next week!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A maul can be formed at any time though during play, regardless of whether the lineout is over or not. At least I think that’s still the rule.

Once the additional English players bind to Vunipolo and initiate contact with the Wallaby tacklers, it becomes a maul. I don’t think it’s much different to when a player pulls the ball down after they catch it and initiates a sideways transfer to a different pod of players, which is used quite frequently.
As I understand it, under a recent law amendment only one player is allowed to pre-bind before contact with the defence. In this case I reckon there were three players already bound to the ball carrier before any contact was made.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Entertaining game, we put in a good comeback but at the end of the day a 19 point start was too much of an obstacle. The injuries didn’t help, and the home nations officiating crew were a joke, particularly the muppet in the TMO box.

I’m not sure if they’ll bother for just one game but if they are going to bring in cover from the A squad I’d say it will be Hanigan, Foketi and Campbell.
KOB, is Hanigan playing? I can recall only Smith and Sinclair with Williams as replacement in the most recent game.

Foketi had a strong game and could be a good standby for the main team, but I reckon Hodge will beat Campbell for any call up to the Wallabies. With Hodge in 23, I would send JOC (James O'Connor) back to club rugby maybe for the rest of his career. He is selfish, out of form and a very poor decision maker. Turned the ball over in his little cameo probably as much as the whole team did otherwise.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
As I understand it, under a recent law amendment only one player is allowed to pre-bind before contact with the defence. In this case I reckon there were three players already bound to the ball carrier before any contact was made.

Agreed. But this is where maul refereeing becomes pedantic. You could probably go back and review most mauls and find a similar action, or another infringement, this particular one is under the microscope because it was innovative and they scored.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
KOB, is Hanigan playing? I can recall only Smith and Sinclair with Williams as replacement in the most recent game.

Foketi had a strong game and could be a good standby for the main team, but I reckon Hodge will beat Campbell for any call up to the Wallabies. With Hodge in 23, I would send JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) back to club rugby maybe for the rest of his career. He is selfish, out of form and a very poor decision maker. Turned the ball over in his little cameo probably as much as the whole team did otherwise.
Don’t disagree with any of that, not sure re Hanigan. If he is out and Holloway still is then Smith or Uru. Hodge is already with the main squad, I expect he’ll start at 15, assuming Petaia is out.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Two key issues cost us that I reckon. That first 30 minutes we were basically blown off the park. We didn’t have the physicality our the smarts to overturn that. And discipline. Seems to be a big issue with Australian sides. Obviously the Reds suffer from it but Aussie A have been horrendous here too. Not sure what the issue is. Arrogance? Stubbornness not to learn?

Obviously there were smaller factors such as injuries and the negative impact of the bench (perhaps only Slipper aside? Maybe Samu). But we still could have one despite those. The first two issues really cost us.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Agreed. But this is where maul refereeing becomes pedantic. You could probably go back and review most mauls and find a similar action, or another infringement, this particular one is under the microscope because it was innovative and they scored.
I think the key is that the players pre bound before any defender was involved and drove over. If there was contact with a defender first then it’s a maul and no issue.
But there wasn’t so it should have been a penalty.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
JOC (James O'Connor) did some good things, but did not execute his kicking game well enough on crucial occasions, particularly the penalty kick for the line. Ten metres out we were a chance to score - if Fainga'a managed to execute his throw in.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I agree with most of the JOC (James O'Connor) comments, but also feel for the bloke.

Rennie didn’t exactly give him a glowing endorsement in the pre-first test presser, saying he needed more time to get back into form/fitness.

Then he gets pulled into G1 from a cocktail function and I doubt Rennie envisioned needing to use him so early, at fullback especially in this game.

The bloke is clearly down on confidence both from an execution point of view but also I don’t feel like hes been helped by the situation.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) did some good things, but did not execute his kicking game well enough on crucial occasions, particularly the penalty kick for the line. Ten metres out we were a chance to score - if Fainga'a managed to execute his throw in.
Agree with this. Had some shocking kicks, but I thought he looked pretty decent ball in hand and taking it to the line - especially for a guy playing out of position and without recent game time or confidence.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dickie was throwing just as crooked as Fainga'a and not penalised. But our lineout suffered when Poreki went off

Yeah, I reckon any other game and a ref would have called a bunch more not straights. But I think the ref was pretty damn consistent in this game. The Fainga'a throw was clearly not straight. Worse than any other as it was outside arm. I think the ref got it bang on.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I think the key is that the players pre bound before any defender was involved and drove over. If there was contact with a defender first then it’s a maul and no issue.
But there wasn’t so it should have been a penalty.
You are probably right but it happened so quickly, I think you would need to watch it in slow motion to see when contact is made by the first Aussie (perhaps Porecki) and the pre-bound English players.

Status
Not open for further replies.