• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England: Match II @ Suncorp 7.55pm AEST, 09/07

Status
Not open for further replies.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, I reckon any other game and a ref would have called a bunch more not straights. But I think the ref was pretty damn consistent in this game. The Fainga'a throw was clearly not straight. Worse than any other as it was outside arm. I think the ref got it bang on.
I don't disagree he was right to call it, just wish he called more of them

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
yep, he was very dangerous ball in hand, as dangerous as I've seen him. A couple of shocking kicks and turnovered over too, which is not always his fault.

Yep - at least one of the turnovers I think it was Noah was badly stuffed the cleanout.

The shanked kick is a big face palm because it was building into something good, but many players would struggle to execute that kick in that situation.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, I reckon any other game and a ref would have called a bunch more not straights. But I think the ref was pretty damn consistent in this game. The Fainga'a throw was clearly not straight. Worse than any other as it was outside arm. I think the ref got it bang on.
Actually really can't get too upset about Fainga'a's throw being called crooked as it should of probably been a penalty to Poms anyway, Wright shouldn't of dragged the player over sideline really, as whan the players knees hit gorund the player is tackled so has to be released, so maybe justice?

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
yep, he was very dangerous ball in hand, as dangerous as I've seen him. A couple of shocking kicks and turnovered over too, which is not always his fault.
The bloke was dangerous because naturally he’s an outside back and always has been. His move to fly half has always been a little manufactured to extend his career as his athleticism has waned. Maybe he should just be considered outside back coverage?

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
As I understand it, under a recent law amendment only one player is allowed to pre-bind before contact with the defence. In this case I reckon there were three players already bound to the ball carrier before any contact was made.

Glad it wasn't only me who saw that.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
KOB, is Hanigan playing? I can recall only Smith and Sinclair with Williams as replacement in the most recent game.

Foketi had a strong game and could be a good standby for the main team, but I reckon Hodge will beat Campbell for any call up to the Wallabies. With Hodge in 23, I would send JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) back to club rugby maybe for the rest of his career. He is selfish, out of form and a very poor decision maker. Turned the ball over in his little cameo probably as much as the whole team did otherwise.

Isn't Hanigan already in the Wallaby squad? He's covering for Holloway.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
You are probably right but it happened so quickly, I think you would need to watch it in slow motion to see when contact is made by the first Aussie (perhaps Porecki) and the pre-bound English players.

Thats ok, the Refs and TMO's have all the time in the world to watch it in slow mo. They do it to see if a player has his laces done up all the time if it suits them.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
You are probably right but it happened so quickly, I think you would need to watch it in slow motion to see when contact is made by the first Aussie (perhaps Porecki) and the pre-bound English players.

And this is why mauls are the Wild West of rugby. We all know the rules, the players know them and the refs know them, but to pickup some of these things in real time is impossible. We had something like 20mins of footy played last night across 35mins of real time, stopping to check mauls will make this infinitely worse.

Silver lining of that English try is I am looking forward to how many lower grades coaches try and implement that move this week, they’ll quickly realise the guys in 5ths aren’t Maro Itoje!

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from last night

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
And this is why mauls are the Wild West of rugby. We all know the rules, the players know them and the refs know them, but to pickup some of these things in real time is impossible. We had something like 20mins of footy played last night across 35mins of real time, stopping to check mauls will make this infinitely worse.

Silver lining of that English try is I am looking forward to how many lower grades coaches try and implement that move this week, they’ll quickly realise the guys in 5ths aren’t Maro Itoje!
One of the Shute Shield teams is already using this move quite often.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Preparing to be rinsed by the Hooper fan club but I reckon he was well off the pace this game.

Didnt seem to have a good relationship with the ref either, I think a few key chats around lineouts after that FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) wobbly one and we might have got a few calls ourselves in that last 5 mins.
Why not play Hooper off the bench?

tragic

John Solomon (38)

That one really stood out as a wtf just happened moment though - enough to at least have another look given it lead to a try. I immediately rewound to work out what happened and was surprised the players and commentators didn’t mention it
It needs to be brought up behind the scenes in the match review because the only way to successfully defend a lineout mail is to pile in on the ball carrier with perfect timing and if they need to hang off too watch for a short pass then it becomes even more impossible to defend.
It also needs to be identified with the players as well as Poreki should have been able to take the legs out given the lineout was over and a maul hadn’t formed. Or stand still with his arms up as the flying wedge runs over the top of him. Rather than a futile attempt try to push against it.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
That one really stood out as a wtf just happened moment though - enough to at least have another look given it lead to a try. I immediately rewound to work out what happened and was surprised the players and commentators didn’t mention it
It needs to be brought up behind the scenes in the match review because the only way to successfully defend a lineout mail is to pile in on the ball carrier with perfect timing and if they need to hang off too watch for a short pass then it becomes even more impossible to defend.
It also needs to be identified with the players as well as Poreki should have been able to take the legs out given the lineout was over and a maul hadn’t formed. Or stand still with his arms up as the flying wedge runs over the top of him. Rather than a futile attempt try to push against it.

I am not sure you’re giving England enough credit here. The fact is they executed a trick play which took everyone totally off guard and scored an easy try from it. Porecki wouldn’t even have been thinking about tackling the player, he was too busy trying to adjust to the ball shift.

I doubt England will do it again next game, it’s one of those plays where they knew it was a bit 50/50 in terms of setup, but like has been mentioned so much in this thread, it’s too hard to rule on all those maul things. They scored a try and got the win, the move served it’s purpose and they’ll put it away for a while.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Two key issues cost us that I reckon. That first 30 minutes we were basically blown off the park. We didn’t have the physicality our the smarts to overturn that. And discipline. Seems to be a big issue with Australian sides. Obviously the Reds suffer from it but Aussie A have been horrendous here too. Not sure what the issue is. Arrogance? Stubbornness not to learn?

Obviously there were smaller factors such as injuries and the negative impact of the bench (perhaps only Slipper aside? Maybe Samu). But we still could have one despite those. The first two issues really cost us.
Discipline was really an issue. We gave away some really soft penalties. Many of them felt like they were for events where England weren't even pressuring us all that much (I'd have to go back and track them, but that's the impression I have). I can understand giving away a splattering when your under the pump and on your line, but the number we gave at a nice, kickable, 30m's or so out will be irking the coaches.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Agree with this. Had some shocking kicks, but I thought he looked pretty decent ball in hand and taking it to the line - especially for a guy playing out of position and without recent game time or confidence.
Come on. He got turned over or conceded a penalty on practically every occasion he ran the ball. And he apparently believed he was the only player capable of breaking the line because he didn't use any support players in better position than he was.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I am not sure Law Knowledge is a strength of our commentators. I dont mind Mehrts but it is embarassing that he doesn't understanding the concept of arriving players beating the ruck.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Seems a few of us here saw enough straight away to at least question the legality of the move. A professional, experienced referee has no excuse for missing such detail except maybe incompetence.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

Wasn't there a very similar move in one of the 6 Nations games? Wales or someone similar shifted it forward in a similar fashion. I remember them having a real long look at it. (Wish I could recall the exact game).

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Undersized yes but I think he makes up for it, particularly defensively. According to the stats I'm looking at he made 9/10 tackles and also beat four defenders tonight.
Flat, I noticed that Leota had done 12 tackles by halftime. Hooper was poor in the breakdown, poor in captaincy - in a tight test when you are against a wall take the bloody points.
This was a test where the captain needs to lead from the front due to the guys being under pressure from a resurgent enemy...He didn't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.