• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England: Match II @ Suncorp 7.55pm AEST, 09/07

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
I don’t blame Hooper at all. We had all the ascendancy, and we really beginning to eat into them ala game 1. Hooper can’t help botched kicks for touch and lineout throws. I absolutely hate it but we did an incredible job to get back into the contest to almost have them on the ropes in that match but weren’t clinical enough to finish them off.
this might sound a bit hypothetical, but I think the game was lost by a single bad refereeing decision. We were 17-22 and hot on attack with a 5 metre lineout which had a high likelihood of leading to a try and (with conversion) the lead.
The Irish ref decided "not straight" for an uncontested lineout where the ball was in line with the aussie heads (ie, 99% of sensible refs would play on).
Call me biased ...

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Yes, Australia didn't play great. England were average as well. Bit at crucial times in the game the ref gave the ball back to England. The 50/22 from white. It was a 50/22 even though the Irish tmo said 100 percent the tackle was in England's half. Not sure what footage she was watching.
Line out not straight, crucial time. It was a marginal call and England threw worse in the night and it wasn't called.
When England were on attack the Wallabies were smashed for offside. The other way around I saw a few offsides that were not picked up.
The Wallabies just couldn't get into the game.
I still think the game was in the Wallabies hands and it's hard for any team to win with so many injures.
Jones is a master. We lost swain who is our main defence in mauls. He is world class there. And it was probably England's best part of their game. Jones wanted Swaine out of this series and planned that entire thing last week

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
this might sound a bit hypothetical, but I think the game was lost by a single bad refereeing decision. We were 17-22 and hot on attack with a 5 metre lineout which had a high likelihood of leading to a try and (with conversion) the lead.
The Irish ref decided "not straight" for an uncontested lineout where the ball was in line with the aussie heads (ie, 99% of sensible refs would play on).
Call me biased ...

Look, I actually agree with you, but read the BBC Sports page and the comments section there. The English supporters are convinced the Referee was against them. I guess it's the nature of the game.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
So is there any good news out of last night?
Bobby V and Leota from the ground carried excellent.

Noah seems to be learning he doesn't need to overplay and just needs to focus on the basics and it allows the players around him to shine. He nailed some tough kicks as well.

Kerevi and Hunter were a solid pairing and have shown from their clearance kicks they're more than just battering rams.

Marika is showing he's probably the only player in the squad that plays whats infront of him i.e. gets to a ruck and looks up to see if there's space for run.

Porecki is heads and shoulders our best hooker.

Our defensive lineout was fantastic

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
These are the refereeing or TMO decisions that are hard to stomach. Mistakes and judgement calls are always going to part of referring but when you get a replay and all you have to determine is did the ball cross the halfway line.
Even the referee appeared surprised at that

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
These are the refereeing or TMO decisions that are hard to stomach. Mistakes and judgement calls are always going to part of referring but when you get a replay and all you have to determine is did the ball cross the halfway line.
Just watched again and it looks like Bell did initially land with the ball a couple of cm over the 50 before turning and placing it back. I wouldn’t say it’s “clearly taken back” as stated by the TMO, but she would’ve had other angles than those broadcast

The previous ruck was also well into England’s 50, but from memory the law is only relevant to the ruck immediately before the kick?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Bobby V and Leota from the ground carried excellent.

Noah seems to be learning he doesn't need to overplay and just needs to focus on the basics and it allows the players around him to shine. He nailed some tough kicks as well.

Kerevi and Hunter were a solid pairing and have shown from their clearance kicks they're more than just battering rams.

Marika is showing he's probably the only player in the squad that plays whats infront of him i.e. gets to a ruck and looks up to see if there's space for run.

Porecki is heads and shoulders our best hooker.

Our defensive lineout was fantastic
But it was not enough. TT was loose early and when he was getting in to the game he was replaced. He is better suited to coming off the bench until match fit. Hunter was good but I think Ikitau really compliments Kerevis game and marshals our midfield defence. Lenny is the bloke that does the little things very well that give us continuity and pulls the back line together.
Hopefully AAA is back and we have a decent second rower available to partner Philip.
I agree that both Valentini and Leota were close to our best.
Hodge is the logical starting 15 with all these injuries and maybe Vunivalu comes onto the bench.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Look, I actually agree with you, but read the BBC Sports page and the comments section there. The English supporters are convinced the Referee was against them. I guess it's the nature of the game.
They start with the premise that our scrum is hopeless so whenever they get penalised they believe it is wrong. (Perhaps we do the same, just the other way around)

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
The tmo said "100 percent the ruck was in England's half " lol

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Haha are you serious ? He hardly peanlised them. What's a joke.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
I didnt agree with the call live, but had a look at the replay and it was the correct decision. Bell 100% landed with the ball over the 50 before placing it back.

I don't know the answer to this, but, so as you say he placed the ball back over the half way, initially it was just a tackle not a ruck. When did the ruck form, before or after he placed it back?

Status
Not open for further replies.