• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England: Match III, SCG, Sat 16th July 7.55pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
The England 15, clearly more skilled then Hodge, caught every high ball on offer. There 11 was a threat everytime he got the ball. Koro and Wright were good, but I hate to say, the England back there equally, if not better.
Lolesio was solid but Marcus smith took his chances.
Kerevi was destructive but Owen Farrell was clinical.
Genge was just as destructive if not more then Tupou and didn't make the errors Tupou did.

Clearly more talented is subjective.
Dreaming. England number 15 very good because he is a monster. Agreed. That's where it stops. Smith did fuck all yeh entire series same as farell. Farell just kicked penalties as the ref made mistakes.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I like our approach to the game although Our execution wasn’t quite there. It’s like we brought out a very specific game plan, but didn’t have the time to perfect it. The English made a mess of the breakdown, that’s the way the ref interpreted it, we didn’t adapt well enough. And we weren’t really prepared for their incessant box kicking. That said and done, I’m pretty happy how we went, our intent was good and we can improve our execution
EDIT: Shiggins thinks my comments are laughable. Sorry, I’ll try again. Blah, blah, blah, they cheated, blah, blah, blah, it’s not fair! Is that better?

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Frustrating game. We created more opportunities, looked more dangerous, and had the cattle to win. Just left too many points on the park. And the try against the run of play which required no line break from England killed us.
For the first time in ages I’m quietly confident our time is coming.
I'm gunna try and go against my typical miserable Derpus nature and say we looked pretty good considering the injuries.

We still managed to snap the losing streak and maybe with a full strength side we win that.

Did feel very Cheika in the nature of the loss though. Lots of running rugby, chance creation but no finishing, I'll discipline and then conceding a try out of nothing and losing by a handful.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Kerevi, Paisami, Wright and Koroibete were all unquestionably better than their opposites. I don’t think Porter is really up to it.

Yeah probably. I think Freeman was his name, he was good. Their 15 was unquestionably better then Hodge (and Hodge wasn't bad beside that pass). Genge was unquestionably better then our front row. Lawes was good too.

England were good and are a great team, I'm not on the same page that we are unquestionably more skillful.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm gunna try and go against my typical miserable Derpus nature and say we looked pretty good considering the injuries.

We still managed to snap the losing streak and maybe with a full strength side we win that.

Did feel very Cheika in the nature of the loss though. Lots of running rugby, chance creation but no finishing, I'll discipline and then conceding a try out of nothing and losing by a handful.
Cheika would have us within touch at the 60th then lose by 15 at FT.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
You can't blame a ball carrier for no one cleaning out..

you can when he's in his own 22 under enormous pressure and the half time sirens gone. They had got out of jail, when Farrell missed the kick, and White put them back in it. Poor decision and he needs to own it or nothing is learnt.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
- Nic White couldn't kick the ball away in the last seconds of first half
- Lolo missed an easy penalty kick to the post in early minutes
- Wilson doing a silly penalty when the team was in English 22
- The gift to Marcus Smith

The unforced Wallabies
Tupou and Hodges try bombing passes.

Also - the fuck is going on at the Reds? Wilson and Tupou were both terrible.

Last edited:

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
The problem with Australia Rugby is we pick and promote more on athletic ability than rugby brains. It’s not league where you are allowed the trainer on the field in attack and they call the plays and you can leave you brain in the change room.

In the inside backs England had Smith and Farrell organising. If ones otherwise occupied the other takes over. Australia has Noah who whilst still a bit green I think is progressing well in this area but still not the complete package. We don’t have a back up or second organiser, just battering rams for crash ball as our other inside backs. Need to bring some balance to the centres some rugby brains, a thinker, but not sure who that is.
We have to play smart with more organisation and patience.
I agree, our best options with who we have at present may be Wright or Kellaway at fb slotting in from the back to help out in the playmaking. Problem there is, against a team like England, that fullback will out leap those two most times on contested kicks. But those two have a bit more guile and unpredictability in their play

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Disappointing outcome. I felt we had left some points out there with poor options/execution.

Watching it live I can see Reece Hodge absolutely gives 110% out there - but I really am not sure it's the right 110% tbh. Quite a few options just don't seem to be right.

I just don't know what to make of this outcome. England clearly are not anywhere remotely close to Ireland in how they play the game, and seem to also be quite disjointed. So does that out us on par with Italy in terms of European nations?

Southern hemisphere is in a bad place right now.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
England offered the fools gold out wide and we took it. That sums the game up for me.

Silly mistakes and a lack of game nous.

Plenty of individuals did well, there wasn’t any poor performances. We just aren’t savvy enough when key moments in the game arise. Personally I think this is more to the lack of genuine games our players play. We have a professional system built for 1996 and trying to appease amateur influence from pre 1996.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
England offered the fools gold out wide and we took it. That sums the game up for me.

Plenty of individuals did well, there wasn’t any poor performances. We just aren’t savvy enough when key moments in the game arise. Personally I think this is more to the lack of genuine games our players play. We have a professional system built for 1996 and trying to appease amateur influence from pre 1996.
There were a few...

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Well Wilson was pretty poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.