• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England: Match III, SCG, Sat 16th July 7.55pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Yes, Wilson carried for over a 1000m in Super Rugby this year, second only to Tom Banks from all Australian players and 10th overall in al (SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) super rugby pacific) players. He may not have quite the brute force of Leota but his game is much more refined.
Rennie has had a very distinct role for blindside flankers since he’s taken over the Wallabies. He’s preferred them to be strong lineout options and able to dominate collisions in tight mostly running directly off the halfback. This role has suited Swinton and Leota who are bigger bodies.

Harry Wilson is probably a better all-round footballer but doesn’t necessarily suit the role that Rennie has been looking for. I think Wilson is most likely competing for that bench spot with Samu which gives him greater freedom as the game opens.

Starting Wilson would mean that Rennie would mostly have to amend the structures to suit Wilson’s strengths- I don’t think he’s going to do that in the final test with limited preparation.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Itoje and Underhill off are great news
Huge news.

I don't actually rate Itoje as highly as he has been touted but the disruption to their pack is the best thing.

Gott say I wouldn't mind a couple of the lovely Coogee locals spreading the spicy cough to Freddie Steward & Jack Nowell in their travels through various watering holes. (Just test Positive but feel no effects)

Rae Rae

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Huge news.

I don't actually rate Itoje as highly as he has been touted but the disruption to their pack is the best thing.

Gott say I wouldn't mind a couple of the lovely Coogee locals spreading the spicy cough to Freddie Steward & Jack Nowell in their travels through various watering holes. (Just test Positive but feel no effects)

Rae Rae
I think Itoje is a good disruptor, and is able to have impact in the set piece but I think he rides the teams fortunes. He was better in game 2 when their pack lifted then he was in game 1 when he was fairly quiet.

I think his banshee impression in game 1 was him overdoing things to try and impact the game with no real support from his pack.

But he is a fair bit off his peak of a couple of years ago

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
McDermott may have more attacking flair than Gordon, but the concept that he is a more level head makes no sense. My choice for back-up 9 for the series was always McDermott for his impact, but I think what Gordon has brought in his brief cameos has been excellent. The forward pass to MK wasn't a lack of a level head, it was a very good play, they just got their timing wrong.
And while I'm a Wilson fan, I think he brings a better running game than Leota, but I don't see him as being harder at the breakdown.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Who’s your favourite Wallaby and why is it Slipper?
1657577446507.png

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I hope not. It doesn't sit right with me that Sexton played and that was a bad knock for Petaia, I hope he gets the time off and the 12 day stand down is respected.

I assume there is no wriggle room for a situation like this. If he fits the criteria to be stood down, he must be stood down for his own, and the game's, good.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I assume there is no wriggle room for a situation like this. If he fits the criteria to be stood down, he must be stood down for his own, and the game's, good.
Petaia looked like a cooked Chook as well. AA didn't make it back within a week after his head knock. I don't believe its worth speculating with concussions anymore. Sit the players down and look after them.

Rae Rae

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
McDermott may have more attacking flair than Gordon, but the concept that he is a more level head makes no sense. My choice for back-up 9 for the series was always McDermott for his impact, but I think what Gordon has brought in his brief cameos has been excellent. The forward pass to MK wasn't a lack of a level head, it was a very good play, they just got their timing wrong.
And while I'm a Wilson fan, I think he brings a better running game than Leota, but I don't see him as being harder at the breakdown.
It is a matter of opinion. Each to their own.
I like the way that when the Reds need something under pressure McDermott is mostly able to deliver it whilst marshalling his troops. Same with Wilson. We forget he is also a big body that will carry in to the teeth of the defence all day as well as running good lines that will find holes.

The English have had some disruption in their back row. So far they have managed to neutralise Hooper somewhat. He needs another flanker to work in tandem with him IMHO.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
It is a matter of opinion. Each to their own.
I like the way that when the Reds need something under pressure McDermott is mostly able to deliver it whilst marshalling his troops. Same with Wilson. We forget he is also a big body that will carry in to the teeth of the defence all day as well as running good lines that will find holes.

The English have had some disruption in their back row. So far they have managed to neutralise Hooper somewhat. He needs another flanker to work in tandem with him IMHO.
Wilson looks like he's still getting punished for failing to action Rennie's feedback from last year re his pre-contact footwork. No doubting his effort and competitiveness, he always puts his hand up to carry into the teeth of the defence. But he's still t-boning defenders and getting stopped in his tracks regularly vs the better sides. Note also that Leota has been poking his nose through with his occassional carries in this series.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Rennie has had a very distinct role for blindside flankers since he’s taken over the Wallabies. He’s preferred them to be strong lineout options and able to dominate collisions in tight mostly running directly off the halfback. This role has suited Swinton and Leota who are bigger bodies.

Harry Wilson is probably a better all-round footballer but doesn’t necessarily suit the role that Rennie has been looking for. I think Wilson is most likely competing for that bench spot with Samu which gives him greater freedom as the game opens.

Starting Wilson would mean that Rennie would mostly have to amend the structures to suit Wilson’s strengths- I don’t think he’s going to do that in the final test with limited preparation.
This mirrors my thoughts. Really like Wilson, but not sure he brings what we need in this team at this time. I think Rennie will give him a run sooner or later in one of the tests, I'm just not sure this is the game I'd be calling for him to come into...
Underhill & Itoje confirmed out. This is a cursed tour.

With Curry already gone that’s gotta hurt.
This is a shame, all great players. You always want to be testing yourself against the best, plus it gives you a feel for what you might be coming up against in the RWC. I'm a big Itoje fan, he's often pushing things right on that line, but yes, he has been well off his best of late. It'll be interesting if he makes it back to his old form before the RWC.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Okay serious questions here ppl.

Staying in Darling point & need to lock in a steak/parmi at 6pm then also need to know what pubs I have to stop in at on the pub crawl down to the scg

Suggestions?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Lord Dudley, Jersey Road, Paddington
The Bellevue, Hargrave Street, Paddington
Woollahra Hotel, Queen Street, Woollahra
The Light Brigade, Jersey Road, Woollahra
Watson's EQ or Urban Winery in Fox Studios next to the SCG.

On the way home try the London Tavern in Underwood Street, Paddington, about the cutest pub in Sydney.

Next day, you MUST try the in house brews at the Lord Nelson in The Rocks.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Lord Dudley, Jersey Road, Paddington
The Bellevue, Hargrave Street, Paddington
Woollahra Hotel, Queen Street, Woollahra
The Light Brigade, Jersey Road, Woollahra
Watson's EQ or Urban Winery in Fox Studios next to the SCG.

On the way home try the London Tavern in Underwood Street, Paddington, about the cutest pub in Sydney.

Next day, you MUST try the in house brews at the Lord Nelson in The Rocks.

thank you, looks like I might be struggling to see the game at this rate!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
All of Hoopers least effective games are when we get boshed in tight, usually against England.

Thought he was pretty poor and the decision not to bring it to within 3 caused a bit of an eyeroll.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
They have obviously targeted him, as all teams do. If he is allowed to play his natural game we are generally on the front foot. EJ (Eddie Jones) is a lot of things but he is no fool.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
They have obviously targeted him, as all teams do. If he is allowed to play his natural game we are generally on the front foot. EJ (Eddie Jones) is a lot of things but he is no fool.

Targeting him on the field is one thing - but he makes his own decisions (within reason) in terms of taking three points, and with his interactions with the referee. I stand by my comment in the last match thread that he should have been more vocal about the lineout throwing of England. FF (Folau Fainga'a) got pinged which was fair enough, but from that point I think England threw 3 dodgy ones, Hoops didn't seem to raise it.

Hopefully he bounces back in all aspects this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.