• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England Test 1 Sat. July 2 @1955

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Agree, I think it is a no-brainer and Petaia should be on the other wing. I do feel as if we are missing real speed on the wing and although Koriobete is quick, outright speed is something we could use atm.
Petaia is still suspect with his defence. He is good going cross field but regularly makes poor decisions front on which was too often evident during the Super season. Petaia poor defensive work was instrumental in allowing the last two tries score by England last night (one shooting out of the line when he should have stayed with the line - and took no-one, and the next getting caught out on his inside).

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Putting my reality hat on for minute - similar to the Reds this year who were able to hold off Aussie Super Rugby teams with bad disciple and people sent off etc, I don’t think we win this game or any game with someone getting a red card, against NZ or SA.

England looked quite limp in attack. The score was flattering because our guys simply didn’t care about the last 2mins, some blokes had played 60mins of rugby with a man down, they just wanted the game to end.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Our ruck work continues to be rubbish, generally speaking. Look for England to play territory in Brisbane and just bosh it.

Farrell back to 10 and kickkickkickkickkickkickkickkickkickkickkickkickkickkick

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Our ruck work continues to be rubbish, generally speaking. Look for England to play territory in Brisbane and just bosh it.

Don’t agree that will be their tactics at all. It was that last night, they’ll play next week.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i think Vunivalu on the wing and Petaia at 23 again gives the most upside and depth, but i'd not be fussed to see Petaia on the wing, Certainly if we win game 2, then i'd throw the dice and experiment with Vunivalu in the last test. but i have no idea how he is training or whether he is ready to play at this level yet. ps agree with Pfitzy breakdown for the first 60 was pretty poor, got blown away a lot by the bigger English bodies, but still thought Leota and Valetini played pretty well, the Hooper turnover of course was probably in retrospect as much a match winner as Samu's try.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not sure you were watching the same game as I - yes there was kicking, but they spent a lot of the game trying basic out-the-back second man plays which were executed with such poor timing that most Super Rugby franchises could defend it.
Because Smith and Farrell doesn't work. Don't expect both of them there next week.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well done Wallabies. That experience of winning with 14 men vs France last year surely helped the team confidence.

Noah was quite excellent - especially compared to the hyped Marcus Smith who was a real let down.

Itoje should be more focused on playing rugby and less on yelling at opposition lineouts.

Terrific defence Australia but equally poor English attack.

Porecki what a blinder and great impact from the bench for the Wallabies.

2nd half a much better watch than the first.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

My interpretation of what Eddie was saying, is that he wants them being more direct with forwards up the middle and pick and go. Maybe it isn't a true reflection but the stats showed ruck success pretty much the same between England and Australia. Similarly the kicks in hand was the same between Aus and England.

Alex Ross (28)
Yep
SAF>France>NZ>Ire>Eng>Aus befoye tonight
Still a fair jump to Ireland
Both in points and ability based on both tonight’s games.
We’re above England now and if we sweep them while NZ sweep Ireland we’ll comfortably pass Ireland in the rankings too.

Reactions: dru

Alex Ross (28)
Well done Wallabies. That experience of winning with 14 men vs France last year surely helped the team confidence.

Noah was quite excellent - especially compared to the hyped Marcus Smith who was a real let down.

Itoje should be more focused on playing rugby and less on yelling at opposition lineouts.

Terrific defence Australia but equally poor English attack.

Porecki what a blinder and great impact from the bench for the Wallabies.

2nd half a much better watch than the first.
I have not seen Smith in England. But didn’t see much from him last night to justify the hype. I wonder if he and Farrell out there at the same time muddies things for both of them? Two very different styles by all accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.