• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v. France 10 Nov 2012 Stade de France, Paris

Who will be victorious in Paris

• The Frogs

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • The Wobs

Votes: 39 70.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rugby will be the real winner

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't think Phipps played well, I don't think anyone can hold their head up after that performance. They did not play as a team and will continue to play that way while Deans is in charge.

France was holding the Wallabies up in the tackle again, has Deans not learnt that his team suffers from this problem any time a team is prepared and ready????

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The focus here is very much on 2 things: lack of a game plan and shit skills.
We know who to blame for the former but the latter is, in my opinion, the result of the ARU's failure to move from its structure and development of the amateur days to something a little more like a production line of players whose skills can be counted on.
To take Phipps, for instance, and say his passing technique is poor is really a pretty sad indictment of the development process: I would have thought that in anything above u7's your halfback has to have a decent pass. Sure there is a selection issue - in that the half should be Sheehan - but the one thing we shouldnt say about any Wallaby half is that he cant pass.
If you ask yourself how we got to this you go back 10 years and realise that the ARU had no plan for finding and developing players.
has much changed?

T

TOCC

Phipps didn't play well, but the pressure his forwards were allowing him to receive was fairly rubbish a well..

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Please keep Cummins in the side, that man is built for test rugby. Once JOC (James O'Connor) comes back into #10 and he gets world class service he will be a try machine.

Not sure about that, JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't go by the nickname of crowbar for nothing.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Unlike the in the World Cup, the better team one on the Night. So well Done France, and keeping the penalties down so Harris could not boot them.

D

daz

Interesting point that former S15 player (and current Top14 player, Cam Treloar) made on twitter this morning:

"Hard to swallow given we (Wallabies) have been preparing for 5 months and the French have had 8 days".

Yes, we have had injuries, but we have been playing tests and training combos for 5 months. The French team (lots of newbies also) met just over a week ago.

De-fucking-pressing. Over it.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Interesting point that former S15 player (and current Top14 player, Cam Treloar) made on twitter this morning:

"Hard to swallow given we (Wallabies) have been preparing for 5 months and the French have had 8 days".

Yes, we have had injuries, but we have been playing tests and training combos for 5 months. The French team (lots of newbies also) met just over a week ago.

De-fucking-pressing. Over it.

Well thanks for sugar coating a bit more there. :p Im already pissed off with this teams and now I had to read your post. And to top it off where getting fucked in the Cricket. FUCK!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

T

TOCC

Probably going to get chastised for this... But Hoopers primary role as a openside flanker is to get to rucks first/fast and secure the ball, whether that be our own ball or the oppositions...

Given that we lost a significant number of turnovers at the breakdown, shouldn't his involvement be called into question.. Hooper is good in attack, but his main role is to secure the ball, and that just wasn't happening in the French match..

If Pocock is fit then I want to see him back starting, Pocock is more physical at the breakdown, Hooper can come on later against tiring defence.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Nah, he's exactly what the modern day international 12 is.

But certainly there is something wrong with our attack, but I would suggest it lies with tactics.

No matter who has played where under Deans we really only have one strategy from the set piece:

- 12 hits it up
- winger comes inside, and hits it up
- 7 hits it up from the inside centre channel
- 10 hits it up

And then we play what's, er, in front of us?

You're right, the only difference is that the modern day 12:
  • Offloads
  • When hitting the ball up and not attempting to offload, drives low in contact rather than keeping high body contact placing himself in a position to be held up or turned over in the tackle.
I have no doubts about his defensive ability, and some of his line choices but if you want to talk modern day 12 you need to look at Roberts/Nonu/Williams to see what they offer over McCabe. He's not solely to blame in any sense, but he's in no way the complete modern day international 12.

T

TOCC

Should probably choose your wording more carefully... McCabe is definitely of International standard, just not one of the top few best in the world..

Same could be said about practically the whole wallaby team

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought Hooper's lack of size and physicality really showed. He made minimal impact in the collisions. Pocock back to 7.

Wish the rest of the pack had Douglas' aggression. He seems to relish the physical challenge.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Should probably choose your wording more carefully. McCabe is definitely of International standard, just not one of the top few best in the world..

Same could be said about practically the whole wallaby team

McCabe is definitely of international standard, but he needs to fit into the right kind of team, not be one of the first backs picked. He's not good enough for that. The back line that started today is lacking in ball skills. Beale and Tapaui are the only two who can reliably and effectively put the ball through hands. That's not to see that the rest of them are bad players, just that they are all too one-dimensional in attack: straight runners and not much else (this applies a bit less to Harris, but IMO he's not up to scratch outside his superb goal kicking). That might work fine if we played with a lot more structure but we don't and it doesn't.

Btw, I'm not trying to scapegoat McCabe. He definitely wasn't the worst back today. Just pointing out that some tough calls need to be made in order to give more balance to the back line, at least until some players return from injury.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
My future prediction for Phipps is that someone (Maybe England, definitely Lions) will start intercepting his passes.

His cadence was better today. It would have been easier to see his timing. Having said that, he's incredibly slow releasing the ball, and sprays it worse than anyone I've seen.

Beale lived up to my prediction of his game - just a game after I thought it would happen. He even missed hitting the gaps he created for himself. Poor.

Outside backs had no chance.

Barnes still can't stop kicking poorly.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
Anyone heard if Simmons has been cited for that Tackle?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but can't you only be cited if you're given a card??

Considering Owens didn't even bring out the white card, is Simmons now essentially off 'Scott Free'

Definitely wasn't a great tackle, but I think a few French players did something very similar on our boys.

Hopefully it will be forgotten

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but can't you only be cited if you're given a card??

Considering Owens didn't even bring out the white card, is Simmons now essentially off 'Scott Free'

Definitely wasn't a great tackle, but I think a few French players did something very similar on our boys.

Hopefully it will be forgotten

You can be cited without a card. Thought it was worth at least a yellow if he'd been identified.

Status
Not open for further replies.