• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Ireland, Sat 9th June @ 8.00pm, Suncorp Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I agree it was a great win and I agree with your point that even after winning, if we think we can improve, we should. But we will get Improvement from building combinations too, so I’d be happy to carry the same team.

I can see an arguement for Tui over Timu, but I personally would rather they persist with Timu at this stage. I can’t see an arguement to leave Kerevi out after last night.

I would like to see Banks or Maddocks given a shot at some point - but our 6/2 bench worked for us last night. Tui & Samu both did well when they came on.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Who immediately rewarded his decision with a turnover.
The first one Ireland anticipated well that Australia might go front - presumably to try and give Paenga-Amosa an easy introduction first throw.

The two other misses I remember were both clear overthrows where it seems like Paenga-Amosa completely missed the call or the timing or both. Time/Training will sort that cohesion out. I don’t think there was anything to say clearly our line out structure won’t work.

Interesting that when Timu came off, Cheika went for Samu, not Tui.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I said at start of thread Australia by 10
Ireland will win next week and be beaten in Sydney
Ireland struggle with Australian strength out wide we have a limiters attack game all based I. Pressure there is no substitute for the game breakers that australia have . They have serious talent out wide always have but no in particular
Ireland played a 2nd team but the comment about the 1st team were on for 30mins is very true
I've always believed we are over hyped

Don't understand the stadiums here and the forced manufactured atmosphere, don't understand why the crowd don't get behind australia anyone who hasn't been to a big game in European try and get along see what Ye are missing , possibly the quietest test I've ever been at and I've been at 40+
Stayan crowds are spoilt.

Also, we definitely won this through the middle. I thought outside Beale our attacks was lacklustre at best.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I’m thinking Arnold for Simmons, maybe TK starts and revert to a 5/3 bench and introduce Banks or Maddocks. Tui at 6 is an option to strengthen the lineout as well.
Just because we won does not make it a perfect performance. There are improvements to be made.
It was a great win BTW but we can be much better.

I don't see any changes except for injury

Reactions: TSR

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Can't disagree with anything you said there BR. What's your take on Foley?

It is what it is. He is the best option we have, despite his poor kicking out of hand. In other aspects he is more than passable (although he does miss more than his share of tackles) and he didn't suffer in comparison with his opposite number last night.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Simmons dropped the ball in a huge hole but I did see an uncharacteristic dominant tackle from him ten minutes earlier which impressed me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was that on some poor unsuspecting onlooker on the sideline? I don't think he was on the field 10 minutes before his dropped pass fuck up.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Simmo was locking behind TT for that critical scrum when they stuffed the Irish.

He has his limitations, but he can do some critical unheralded things really well

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It was a completely dominant scrum, but again it was the LH side that really had the Irish under pressure. There was no evidence in this match that Kepu/Simmons (or TT/Simmons) is more effective than Robertson/Coleman.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's it for me.

BPA was throwing very flat in the 4 man - how have they coached it? Jumpers and lifters got it out of synch at times. There was at least one time with Genia being nabbed by Irish forward from the line out, that's line out defence for me. You can't put it down to the old chestnuts of Simmo or the throw.

In a coaching period with a very short turn aound something is going to give, and priorities must be applied. I guess that the line out would be a priority for me, but cant argue with the effectiveness of everything else so I'll give this to Cheika.

The lineout communication issues were consistent between throwers and jumpers starting/bench. I like getting Pocock involved in jumping. He remains a third option for 80. As the long ball remains a fourth option for 80 (Hooper - also not done consistently well). The intent was there, and as a theory it is not a bad response to solving a line out with only two genuine jumpers, a short backrow and a double-7.

There is plenty of room for improvement, mostly communication. And that should be doable for a genuine step up for Irish II.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Happened to be the lineout where Hooper was the jumper/receiver. His pass off the top was a little ill-directed and much too hard. Not Genia's fault but Will probably should have just taken the tackle given the poor delivery to him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
One thing that didn't work well was the kick to the wing in itself

But it made the Irish add width to their defense which may have improved other go forward options

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It was a completely dominant scrum, but again it was the LH side that really had the Irish under pressure. There was no evidence in this match that Kepu/Simmons (or TT/Simmons) is more effective than Robertson/Coleman.
Nah - the Irish buckled on their LH side first, then the natural wheel of the scrum took over. If you watch after the scrum everyone immediately rushed to Tupou to pat him on he head. I reckon Latu probably showed his value there too.

Now, wherever that is just because Tupou is so good he doesn’t need anyone behind him to dominate an experienced opposition LH, or whether it is because Simmons does actually go okay at times, I guess we can agree to disagree.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't see any changes except for injury

We have several people coming back who are available and a squad of 32 to work with. They played very well yesterday and could easily go in to the 2nd test unchanged. Cheika could also tweak it a bit. It’s not park footy and they need to win another test, hopefully two.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
In regards to Tupou getting a start over Kepu, for now there's something nice about knowing there's an absolute monster in the scrum and around the park waiting to come on in the last 30. Tupou running at tired bodies is also very enticing. I thought Kepu was pretty damn good in all aspects of the game as well.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I’ve got little to add that hasn’t already been said.
The same team needs to run out last week. Hard to relegate anyone after that performance.
It was nice to see two teams compete at the scrum without cynical play to start the penalty lottery. I doubt there will be so few resets against Eng or the ABs.
The lineout should be fixable with some focus this week.
Foleys kicking from hand is a concern and isn’t going to change - unfortunately it’s part of the package. Could have been much more costly against a team like the ABs who are better at capitalising on those weaknesses. He’s currently the best person for the 10 role by a long way so we just need to get smarter about who we place at first receiver when a clearing kick is needed.
It’s a shame we now have depth across the park in almost every position except arguably the most important after the THP.
(Edit : and don’t give me any crap about the reserve THP :) )

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
One thing that didn't work well was the kick to the wing in itself

But it made the Irish add width to their defense which may have improved other go forward options
It'll work well when they add some ball running to their attack. Also, execution can only improve.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We have several people coming back who are available and a squad of 32 to work with. They played very well yesterday and could easily go in to the 2nd test unchanged. Cheika could also tweak it a bit. It’s not park footy and they need to win another test, hopefully two.

I think there will be a few units wounded after last night, it was a tough night

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think it's safe to assume that anyone who's interested will have caught up with the overnight tests so:

1 New Zealand 93.99
2 Ireland 88.05 (-1.06)
3 (↑4) Australia 86.56 (+1.06)
4 (↓3) England 85.19 (-1.05)
5 Wales 85.13 (+0.68)
6 Scotland 83.83
7 South Africa 83.81 (+1.05)
8 France 79.10
9 (↑10) Fiji 77.93
10 (↓9) Argentina 77.54 (-0.68)
11 Japan 76.02 (+0.37)
12 Georgia 75.05 (+1.09)
13 Tonga 70.78 (-1.09)
14 Italy 70.73 (-0.37)

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I think there will be a few units wounded after last night, it was a tough night
Beale is a concern.
His presence was vital last night. His combination with Foley was superb and he created several line breaks.
Shoulder didn’t look good at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.