• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Ireland, Sat 9th June @ 8.00pm, Suncorp Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
First Wallaby test I've watched in a while, seeing how it was on the big screen before the Force game. Really impressed with the commitment of the men in gold tonight. That defence was at times shattering in its intensity. They really didn't give Ireland a sniff in attack. On the flip side they didn't cope with the Irish rush defence and I remarked to my boy while watching it that we needed some big bodies coming around the corner at pace to get the Irish line back on their heels a bit. That's exactly what led to the decisive try: Pocock hitting the line and crashing over. He was absolutely immense tonight. One of his greatest performances for mine. The scrum was also very, very solid. Plenty to work on, but I think that Cheika will be quietly pretty happy with that, especially considering the standard of the opposition and the limited preparation.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Thought that was one of the best rugby matches on in oz, free to air prime time for years, and probably the best home win for Cheiks given the quality of the opposition and importance of the match for the series.

Great test match rugby

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The first one Ireland anticipated well that Australia might go front - presumably to try and give Paenga-Amosa an easy introduction first throw.

The two other misses I remember were both clear overthrows where it seems like Paenga-Amosa completely missed the call or the timing or both. Time/Training will sort that cohesion out. I don’t think there was anything to say clearly our line out structure won’t work.

Interesting that when Timu came off, Cheika went for Samu, not Tui.

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)
I said at start of thread Australia by 10
Ireland will win next week and be beaten in Sydney
Ireland struggle with Australian strength out wide we have a limiters attack game all based I. Pressure there is no substitute for the game breakers that australia have . They have serious talent out wide always have but no in particular
Ireland played a 2nd team but the comment about the 1st team were on for 30mins is very true
I've always believed we are over hyped

Don't understand the stadiums here and the forced manufactured atmosphere, don't understand why the crowd don't get behind australia anyone who hasn't been to a big game in European try and get along see what Ye are missing , possibly the quietest test I've ever been at and I've been at 40+

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)
And to the person that said that the TMO is runininh rugby I agree that was a try by australia and constant stoppages

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Great performance, particularly by the new players. I thought the Irish scrum would dominate when the old hands came on. But our new boys held firm. Some of the ensemble forward play with ball in hand close to the line was sublime.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think with another week together we will improve but so will Ireland knowing now what they are up against.
Expect a couple of tweaks in the lineup and approach from Cheika.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Why would you tweak the line up? The only guy who was probably off the mark was Paenga-Amosa, and that was only his throwing. Everywhere else he was good. Neither Latu nor Fainga’a are guaranteed improvements in that regard.

Everyone else was good. Maybe Arnold for Simmons, but even then I wouldn’t be surprised if Simmons is retained. He didn’t have a great game, but his form leading in has been good (although Arnold has been excellent).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
As good as Pocock was, I reckon he was also unlucky.

Not meaning to have a crack at the ref - it is tough in real time - but I reckon both times he penalised Australia when Pocock was on the ball he was wrong (or at least, in the first case, inconsistent).

And gee he gets taken out/held out of play a lot. It is testament to his discipline that he doesn’t get in trouble for retaliating because it must be incredibly frustrating.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Why would you tweak the line up? The only guy who was probably off the mark was Paenga-Amosa, and that was only his throwing. Everywhere else he was good. Neither Latu nor Fainga’a are guaranteed improvements in that regard.

Everyone else was good. Maybe Arnold for Simmons, but even then I wouldn’t be surprised if Simmons is retained. He didn’t have a great game, but his form leading in has been good (although Arnold has been excellent).
Simmo was locking behind TT for that critical scrum when they stuffed the Irish.

He has his limitations, but he can do some critical unheralded things really well

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think a bit more on time on the training paddock will get the timing right

That's it for me.

BPA was throwing very flat in the 4 man - how have they coached it? Jumpers and lifters got it out of synch at times. There was at least one time with Genia being nabbed by Irish forward from the line out, that's line out defence for me. You can't put it down to the old chestnuts of Simmo or the throw.

In a coaching period with a very short turn aound something is going to give, and priorities must be applied. I guess that the line out would be a priority for me, but cant argue with the effectiveness of everything else so I'll give this to Cheika.

The lineout communication issues were consistent between throwers and jumpers starting/bench. I like getting Pocock involved in jumping. He remains a third option for 80. As the long ball remains a fourth option for 80 (Hooper - also not done consistently well). The intent was there, and as a theory it is not a bad response to solving a line out with only two genuine jumpers, a short backrow and a double-7.

There is plenty of room for improvement, mostly communication. And that should be doable for a genuine step up for Irish II.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

I’m thinking Arnold for Simmons, maybe TK starts and revert to a 5/3 bench and introduce Banks or Maddocks. Tui at 6 is an option to strengthen the lineout as well.
Just because we won does not make it a perfect performance. There are improvements to be made.
It was a great win BTW but we can be much better.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Chubby seems to like sticking with a winning team.

But I would definitely like to see Tui given a lot more time, maybe to start. If he makes the grade, it would be fantastic for our chances at the RWC.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Timu took the first one if the match as well. They shared it round

Ah so that's the key to the oompa-loompa back row. Instead of a 3rd jumper the opposition can target they don't know who the 3rd jumper is going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.