• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Ireland, Sat 9th June @ 8.00pm, Suncorp Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Thought there was clearly a bobble in there. But, would not have been at all surprised if they gave it either.

No where near as criminal as our disallowed try.

Yeah definitely looked like there was a bobble, if he had cameras that show it went forward then fair play. Not sure I'm a big fan of the video referee having exclusive access to cameras given how incompetent some of them seem to be.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Their second placed ranking seems a bit much - games like they played would see empty stadiums in the Southern Hemisphere.
Bigger question for you is whether the French will go into vacation mode after that scoreline.
Your desperation to be a miserable sod is impressive. Ireland were quite rightly 2 nd in the world based on who they’ve beaten of late. The buzz from people here at the game is about a Wallaby team standing up, defending like they mean it and getting a good win. But by all means keep whining.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I thought he went well, who would you prefer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I don't have an answer for that. I would support someone different though. Could you shuffle Beale in? SOS Tomua - I don't know I just don't have confidence in Foley

Snotterbox

Frank Nicholson (4)
I say again the technology is killing the game. That should be a try.

Not if a match official saw a knock on. The day decisions are made based on what fans see is the day the game is lost to common sense forever, since every fan sees something different.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Classic Kearns having an absolute breakdown when the try was disallowed and Hooper got neck-rolled.
No yellow for the neck roll in this game and the shoulder charge/high tackle in the AB -v- France game was not in keeping with the refereeing decisions we've seen in Super this year. Both would have seen yellow, the AB one may have even been a red.

Guess test match pressure shows on refs too.

Snotterbox

Frank Nicholson (4)
No yellow for the neck roll in this game and the shoulder charge/high tackle in the AB -v- France game was not in keeping with the refereeing decisions we've seen in Super this year. Both would have seen yellow, the AB one may have even been a red.

Guess test match pressure shows on refs too.

The neck roll decision was bizarre. There were two offences in the clean-out: a neck roll and a lift past horizontal, after which Hooper landed on his head. The ref conflated them and let the [admittedly brave] Irish off with a pen, because the neck roll wasn't finished, an interpretation that makes no appearance in the laws. If you lift a player past the horizontal, and they land on their head, then it's a yellow, whether you finish it or enjoy a post-coital milkshake together afterwards. But hey, go Wallabies!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The neck roll decision was bizarre. There were two offences in the clean-out: a neck roll and a lift past horizontal, after which Hooper landed on his head. The ref conflated them and let the [admittedly brave] Irish off with a pen, because the neck roll wasn't finished, an interpretation that makes no appearance in the laws. If you lift a player past the horizontal, and they land on their head, then it's a yellow, whether you finish it or enjoy a post-coital milkshake together afterwards. But hey, go Wallabies!
Yeah i love the 'he didn't finish him off' line. Apparently he only awards yellow where there has been a successful assassination attempt.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I reckon Simmons may be a starter next week.. both second rowers were good in general play, but we need that lineout ball.

Coleman was my pick of the rowers so if Simmons does come in I'd be shifting Rodda. On form I wouldn't be tinkering too much with that team but that was a very physical game and given the short turnaround a fair few changes wouldn't surprise. A lot of guys looked a bit busted.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
I quite liked the four man option they were running, but it also means getting over the advantage line on the first phase is harder, our guys were just so strong in their carries tonight they did it well. It just makes t hard at that level when you don’t hit the tail of the lineout, that extra second is vital!

If we try a four man option, consider that blind move that Ireland did in the second half off their short man lineout win. Often defenders push early leaving space on the blind before the initial tackle is made.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Your desperation to be a miserable sod is impressive. Ireland were quite rightly 2 nd in the world based on who they’ve beaten of late. The buzz from people here at the game is about a Wallaby team standing up, defending like bye mean it and getting a good win. But by all means keep whining.
That was my point.
Who.
Not how.
I know this is your little fiefdom but do you not think that is a personal attack contrary to the forum rules, particularly given that there was no observation directed at you, or of you, you imperious sod.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Ok, a very strong effort by the whole team, and isn't it great to beat the World ranked No 2 side with a minimum of preparation. And no good the Irish claiming they had a second team out there for 50 - 60 minutes, because the Wallabies were more dominant at the end of the game.

First observation - Pocock clearly MOTM.

After that, I was really impressed tonight with KB (Kurtley Beale)'s defense. He defended in his correct spot for most of the game and did it pretty damn good. Took courage to face Furlong at full speed near the end, and though he fell off he disrupted the run sufficiently to allow the remaining defense to get him.

Talking of Furlong, where did he get the reputation for being World's best No 3? The Irish scrum went backwards on his side when Tom R was in our LH spot. Robertson was also good in general play. Happy with the way both Timu and Samu played in their debuts. Samu especially looks to be strong over the ball.

Quite a few comments above bemoaning our lineout. The first throw by BPA was won by the Irish, and another later in the match went over the top and was snaffled by the Irish. Were there any other losses that I missed? I thought BPA put in a credible effort for his first test as well. After he came on late in the game, did Simmons even win a lineout? He certainly was very poor otherwise; a laughable attempt to provide support to Coleman in a tackle situation had him actually trying to push Coleman back towards the Aussie half. Luckily he is so ineffective that it didn't have too much impact. Then at least two woeful tackle misses as well as the dropped ball when Genia presented him with an opening as wide as Sydney Heads. Cheika clearly was unimpressed.

Folau and DHP were excellent with their work in the air. Coleman had a few shocking moments. I wonder if he fully grasps the laws of the game? Rodda was best of the locks - probably best on ground.

It was a very good first test outing against a game-hardened side. Should be a ripper of a series overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.