• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Italy, Suncorp Stadium, 24th June 2017 @ 3:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Happy to respond in kind.

I am not a professional rugby coach being paid $1million plus. A person being paid large sums of money should be more successful than Chek is ATM and I think this is his third year in the role. I would expect that you change or mix things up when it is broken.

I am just a disillusioned mug out there, seeing shit results, seeing no real changes (other than a player or 2) and only a few other posters seem to have similar insight.

Upthenuts

Dave Cowper (27)
good chance for the wallabies to muscle up and go foward up the middle and go again and again several phases up front, then go out the back throuh the hands, surely a simple game plan and a little skill should see off the italians.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm ganna take a stab at the team based on pics and reports.

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Alphabet
4. Arnold
5. Coleman
6. Hanigan
7. Hooper
8. Timani

9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Naivalu
12. Horne
13. Tevita
14. Hodge
15. Folau

God I hope I'm wrong

I was close....

1. Scott Sio (31 Tests)
2. Stephen Moore (c) (119 Tests)
3. Allan Ala'alatoa (11 Tests)
4. Rory Arnold (11 Tests)
5. Adam Coleman (11 Tests)
6. Ned Hanigan (2 Tests)
7. Michael Hooper (67 Tests)
8. Lopeti Timani (6 Tests)
9. Will Genia (77 Tests)
10. Bernard Foley (44 Tests)
11. Sefa Naivalu (6 Tests)
12. Karmichael Hunt (2 Tests)
13. Rob Horne (33 Tests)
14. Dane Haylett-Petty (16 Tests)
15. Israel Folau (54 Tests)

Reserves to be named on Friday.

http://redsrugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...-Italy-at-Suncorp-Stadium.aspx?IsPreview=true

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Happy to respond in kind.

I am not a professional rugby coach being paid $1million plus. A person being paid large sums of money should be more successful than Chek is ATM and I think this is his third year in the role. I would expect that you change or mix things up when it is broken.

I am just a disillusioned mug out there, seeing shit results, seeing no real changes (other than a player or 2) and only a few other posters seem to have similar insight.

Geez is Cheika really on one million plus?

^^^^
Horne at 13 is unexpected...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
And rightfully so! FFS is Cheika for real? How the hell can you justify the form No.6 in Oz not being picked on the basis of him going o/s and still pick Horne who is also going o/s but has done absolutely jack shit this year? Staggering!

I would guess Hanigan, Hardwick and Higgers are still fit

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So is Kuridrani injured?

That would be the only real reason I could see for the change. Haven't heard anything to that effect though. If he's unhappy with Kuridrani's work (who was fine, but a bit quiet too), it's just a damn shame Kerevi is broken. You know Horne is a solid player, but not likely to do anything amazing in attack, which is really where we are lacking the most. I would think Kuridrani is the more dangerous against a team like Italy, plus good defensively. Glad Hunt is fit.
He obviously sees Higgers and Timani as 8s only. I think they're both best at 8, but I would think both have a hybrid look about them as 6s too. If all fit I would have thought Hooper, Higgers and Timani in some combo would work. Hanigan has shown good future promise but he needs a bit more power to go with the undeniable work-rate. Puzzled.
Happy to see Arnold, Coleman together and Naivalu starting. I rate the latter highly.
Front row OK - hope Sio is good for 60 mins to really see where he's at. Kinda knew Moore would start.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Horne selection is a strange one. Kuridrani isn't injured as far as the journos know. He played the full 80 against Scotland.

Unless Cheika thinks that he has played a bit much rugby and will have at least one more Super Rugby game than the other centre options before the Rugby Championship and is trying to manage his workload a bit, it is very puzzling.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Horne is the only surprise to me. The other changes are positive, even Moore - my guess is that latu will get a gig on the bench.

Personally I would have rested hanigan before Higgers.

One thing that is not a surprise is we can't name a bench. The novelty on this has worn off - Why is it so hard?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Whats a little frustrating is that we appear to have the pack right, but the backs take a step back. Previous week you could argue it was the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.