• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Isnt it?
Simmons and Carter were both disappointing their different ways - 7 suggests a strong contribution.
Maybe they counted the warm up?

Our set piece was generally good though so they have to get some credit for that.

They were both reasonable around the field without doing anything amazing. I think the fact that their opposite numbers who are clearly the best lock pairing in the game didn't dominate further shows that they did a decent job.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think the major reasons for not winning last night were coach-related. Very much out of character for Link imo. But he put KB (Kurtley Beale) at 10 when he had no recent test form there as opposed to Foley who has been getting better with each game. He failed to use his bench effectively. These wre the major Wallabies-related causes of not winning. The major ABs-related cause was their impregnable defence. Both sides defended to the last man so to speak.

For next week, remember not so long ago there was a hoodoo about playing at the House of Pain. Who brought that ABs winning run to an end. The Wallabies as I recall. Another myth to be broken at Eden Park.

I actually think it was the French

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
yeah there's way too much sour grapes on this thread..Beale was always on a hiding to nothing, if we didn't win everyone was going to and have come out of the woodwork with criticism..

I'm moving over to the thread about next week's game!

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I sense there are a few on board here who have never seen, or have conveniently forgotten, Latho's heroics over the years. Makes them the poorer for it.
hahah watched him play at very close range over many years and he was quality, but I would rate Izzy as a more complete player and a bigger attacking threat

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
yeah there's way too much sour grapes on this thread..Beale was always on a hiding to nothing, if we didn't win everyone was going to and have come out of the woodwork with criticism..

I'm moving over to the thread about next week's game!
me too

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
2. Kept picturing what Chris Latham would do, when faced with Izzy's options. For starters, when he was given a pass at his feet, Latho wouldn't have fumbled it, he would have toed it into the clear, picked it up, and (most likely) scored!
It continually amazes and bemuses me that players aren't coached to use their feet if the pass is directed at their boots. Surely by the time they play for the Walllabies they have had thousands of ill-directed passes at their feet and they should have the smarts not to try to pick them up on the run.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Having had some time to get over the numbness that is a draw.

Firstly, great game. It was wet, tough, and the ref was problematic. We fought our way back into the match and the ABs fought furiously hard to deny us. It was hard, tough, uncompromising and our forwards stepped up.

It wasn't a game for Beale to loop, which didn't stop him trying I note, and it wasn't a game to try run the outside track pushing the pass. Which by and large we didn't.

I liked the use of Horne up the middle. It didn't quite come off but it showed good intent and he regularly made good ground. Hooper was like a jack rabbit and seemed to be able to cut through the first two tacklers at will.

On not taking the kick, It was a controversial call, especially in the wet but I could see a merit to it. One man up, finally with some possession to give the boys a decent crack, and a decent prospect another penalty will come. I had no issues with it at the time, and had it paid off itwould have been the right decision.

Slipper was a revelation, worked his ass off, I felt he reached a new level last night. But all our forwards did, they deserve a lot of credit and I think they will take a lot out of that game.

On Beale, I think by and large he was ok. I think flyhalves have a lot less influence in wet games, and he seemed to grow into it. I wouldn't select him, or Cooper, I prefer a Toomoua or Foley, but its McKenzies prerogative to opt for a more creative playmaker and Beale, like Cooper is that. I just think that their magic tricks are least effective against comprehensive defenses like the ABs. Having said all that I really liked his post game comments, and I think he will do well in the next game.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Im no fan but that is a huge debut

Isnt it?
Simmons and Carter were both disappointing their different ways - 7 suggests a strong contribution.
Maybe they counted the warm up?
I think Carter started coldish but warmed he got beaten in some contact early but certainly came back hard. Simmions I thought wasn't as involved but he did what he had too 6 to simmions 6.5 to Carter.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Alright fluffybunnys, enough pessimism.

We are the first team in almost two years to not lose, and we stopped them scoring any tries for the first time since the Crusades.

Not closing it out sucks, but fuck we had a crack in some really shitty conditions. Conditions which usually render us as impotent as a quadriplegic and end up on the losing end of games against Scotland or fucking MUNSTER.

To come through that with a draw against a team undefeated in almost two years of test rugby is an achievement.

Same team for next week, build some continuity. Beale wasn't an inspired choice, but a bit of creative thinking leads em to think that he'd have been much better suited to dry conditions. If it was dry, I reckon it would have been a sideline to sideline thriller.....and we'd have lost. I think this test will turn out to be a blessing in disguise and the turning point, because we managed a draw without actually playing to 100%.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
There definitely is a lot of negativity here...

It was a Pretty awful game from a spectators perspective thanks to both the conditions and an awful referee who has a habit of trying to spoil games.

All the same, I thought the wallabies outplayed the All Blacks in the second half and will surely be disappointed that they couldn't quite get the job done. There were a few times we should have scored, but the team did have a tendency to move side to side a little too much. It seems a lot of people are keen to blame Beale for everything, but I think it was more White and also the teams general tactics at fault. His passes were slower and less accurate than Phipps, which killed a bit of the momentum. But it was noticeable that all the players in the backline were just shifting it laterally on most plays in the way the crusaders were earlier this year. The whole thing became predictable and I thought what the wallabies needed was for Phipps and Foley to replace both To'omua and white in order to give that Waratahs dynamism to the attack.

I also thought Link waited too long to use the Bench. Cheika gets the impact players on with 20-25 mins of play so they can have a real impact, but McKenzie seemed reluctant to make any changes until quite late, and I think the team lost a lot of potential opportunities as a result.

All the same, the forwards really held up, and given the massive injury toll we have right now, that's a huge plus moving forward. Eden park will be a massively tough assignment, but I think the boys will give it a good go and I'd definitely back them to have a shot at winning it.

T

Train Without a Station

Fucking hell. You admonish people for being negative and then say the referee deliberately tries to spoil games. Ridiculous statement. No referee goes out there intending to spoil games.

T

Train Without a Station

People knocking the decision to go for a scrum from Crockett's yellow need to pull their heads out of their asses and have a look at the effects of it.

They lost their best around the park prop. We took the scrum, and forced them to sub a loosie for an inferior around the park prop. That that gave us a massive advantage. Two minutes later they infringed again as we maintained pressure and field position. We then took the shot at goal. If we took the initial shot we would have retained possession in our half and likely not been able to maintain pressure for another crack.

Very smart play that helped us on the field and resulted in a shot at goal anyway, so we on fact lost nothing from it.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Fucking hell. You admonish people for being negative and then say the referee deliberately tries to spoil games. Ridiculous statement. No referee goes out there intending to spoil games.

Haha I reckon that's fair enough - I wasn't attacking the play. Peyper did the same thing to the semi between the Tahs and Brums and it really killed the game's momentum.

He's just incredible pedantic, inconsistent and often inaccurate too. I just can't stand him as a referee - just not up to standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.