• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Read is an awesome player but his real strength is running wide in the 13/wing channel. Last night's conditions didn't really allow that to eventuate.
Doesn't really matter who the ref was. Fardy knows how he refs and should have adjusted his game.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
People knocking the decision to go for a scrum from Crockett's yellow need to pull their heads out of their asses and have a look at the effects of it.

They lost their best around the park prop. We took the scrum, and forced them to sub a loosie for an inferior around the park prop. That that gave us a massive advantage. Two minutes later they infringed again as we maintained pressure and field position. We then took the shot at goal. If we took the initial shot we would have retained possession in our half and likely not been able to maintain pressure for another crack.

Very smart play that helped us on the field and resulted in a shot at goal anyway, so we on fact lost nothing from it.
I'm not sure you need to paint others and their opinions in quite such a way.

T

Train Without a Station

Nah Cyclo, I think I do. Anybody who automatically equates decisions not to kick at goal as points lost, without considering the effect it would have on further penalties (ie. they probably wouldn't have occurred) needs to be strongly reminded of the facts.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
True. Unless it was Kaplan refereeing a Tahs' match.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Haha true that.

And fuck, even though Peyper may not being trying to intentionally spoil matches, he sure does a good impression of a bloke who is in most games I've seen him in charge of.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Nah Cyclo, I think I do. Anybody who automatically equates decisions not to kick at goal as points lost, without considering the effect it would have on further penalties (ie. they probably wouldn't have occurred) needs to be strongly reminded of the facts.
Hmm, well, suggesting the Wallabies should go for the 3 points hardly seems like "head up your arse" thinking. It's just a different viewpoint, so the manner of your statement was what I was questioning.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)

I actually agree with this and was very much in support of the wallabies having a shot at a try and keeping the pressure on.

That said, if there's one thing that does seem a little surprising, it's that the wallabies (and the waratahs too) don't seem to be taking advantage of Folau's aerial skills. There were a couple times when we were right on their line with a penalty advantage and I couldn't help but think "this is a great opportunity for a cross kick".

With the kiwi defence as aggressive as it was and Izzys incredible skills in the air, it just seemed like a no brainer to me. But for some reason we just never seem to attempt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

Hmm, well, suggesting the Wallabies should go for the 3 points hardly seems like "head up your arse" thinking. It's just a different viewpoint, so the manner of your statement was what I was questioning.

I agree suggesting that we should take the points isn't silly thinking.

Anybody who says we left any points on the field but not taking the shot though is blatantly incorrect. We got a shot 2 minutes later due to the sustained pressure. This penalty would not have resulted if we took the shot initially and we would have been no better off.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

thats the beauty of the one just before half time: it would not have altered the course of the game - with all the crap going on and the amount of time they were allowing for kicks it was half time

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
There was still time on the clock for a restart I think - 90 second left on the clock at least.

I'm always conscious of the fact that taking the points puts you back at halfway, with a contested possession

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There was still time on the clock for a restart I think - 90 second left on the clock at least.

I'm always conscious of the fact that taking the points puts you back at halfway, with a contested possession

Cruden did not get one of his kicks away within 90 seconds I'll bet.
You have 1 minute from the arrival of the tee:
"If a kicker indicates to the referee the intention to kick a penalty kick at goal, the kick must be taken within one minute from the time the player indicates the intention to kick at goal. The intention to kick is signalled by the arrival of the kicking tee or sand, or when the player makes a mark on the ground."
And surely the sense of superiority that justifies taking the kick will look after you on the restart - either that or it's illusory

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Cruden did not get one of his kicks away within 90 seconds I'll bet

Game clock for each kick - its kind of hard to judge for some because the replays and whatnot.

Cruden 1 : tee arrives at mark 02:45. Strikes the ball at 03:30. 45 seconds.

Beale 1: tee arrives some time between 10:22 and 10:46 (probably close to 10:40 judging by setup after they cut back from replay). Strikes the ball at 11:35. 55 seconds.

Cruden 2 (miss): tee arrives 13:04. Strikes at 13:53. 49 seconds.

Cruden 3: tee arrives at 15:20 (time was off so assuming the trainer got it out there. Strikes at 16:05. 45 seconds

Cruden 4: tee arrives 21:12. Strikes 21:55. 43 seconds.

Beale 2 (miss): tee arrives approx 40:50. Strikes 41:35. 45 seconds.

Beale 3: tee arrives 43:30. Strikes 44:18. 48 seconds

Beale 4: tee arrives approx 55:10. Strikes 55:53. 43 seconds.

Cruden 5: tee arrives approx 58:45. Strikes 59:40. 55 seconds.

Beale 5: tee arrives 69:12. Strikes 69:54. 42 seconds.

Cruden averaged 47.4 seconds. Beale averaged 46.6

The Kiwi trainer was running their tee out a hell of a lot quicker than our bloke, so their elapsed time between whistle blown and striking the ball would have been lower as well from what I observed. Only one penalty (his last) did Cruden take some extra time with.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
For this test, I'd really, reaalllyyyy like to see some bloody cross field bombs/kicks to Folau.

Savea's wing, just put it up, have Folau lead the chase and have 2-3 players 5m behind him, in a line, ready to clean up/tackle/clean out/dive on a lose ball/give Izzay a bit of a dry root or a slap on the arse.

And just do it all bloody night. Every chance, just put a bomb up and see what happens.

I don't, for the life of me, understand how it's been tried ONCE in two years with Folau.

Guess what happened?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
For this test, I'd really, reaalllyyyy like to see some bloody cross field bombs/kicks to Folau.

Savea's wing, just put it up, have Folau lead the chase and have 2-3 players 5m behind him, in a line, ready to clean up/tackle/clean out/dive on a lose ball/give Izzay a bit of a dry root or a slap on the arse.

And just do it all bloody night. Every chance, just put a bomb up and see what happens.

I don't, for the life of me, understand how it's been tried ONCE in two years with Folau.

Guess what happened?

Agree'd. With a good kick then theirs a very good chance Falou will regain possession. With a kick slightly off then theirs a very good chance we will put on a load of pressure on the kick-returner and force a turn-over. The All blacks seem to do this well. We have the best high ball taker in the world you'd think we would do it better.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)

Guess what happened?

Thank you!

Yes, I honestly can't for the life of me understand it either. It just defies belief that we should have such an incredibly powerful player in the air that we never use in attack.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There definitely is a lot of negativity here.

It was a Pretty awful game from a spectators perspective thanks to both the conditions and an awful referee who has a habit of trying to spoil games.

All the same, I thought the wallabies outplayed the All Blacks in the second half and will surely be disappointed that they couldn't quite get the job done. There were a few times we should have scored, but the team did have a tendency to move side to side a little too much. It seems a lot of people are keen to blame Beale for everything, but I think it was more White and also the teams general tactics at fault. His passes were slower and less accurate than Phipps, which killed a bit of the momentum. But it was noticeable that all the players in the backline were just shifting it laterally on most plays in the way the crusaders were earlier this year. The whole thing became predictable and I thought what the wallabies needed was for Phipps and Foley to replace both To'omua and white in order to give that Waratahs dynamism to the attack.

I also thought Link waited too long to use the Bench. Cheika gets the impact players on with 20-25 mins of play so they can have a real impact, but McKenzie seemed reluctant to make any changes until quite late, and I think the team lost a lot of potential opportunities as a result.

All the same, the forwards really held up, and given the massive injury toll we have right now, that's a huge plus moving forward. Eden park will be a massively tough assignment, but I think the boys will give it a good go and I'd definitely back them to have a shot at winning it.

Not sure if you're saying this, but it comes across that you are claiming the lateral movement across the backline was all Nic White's fault. He may not have had an excessively good game, but White was not as culpable as Kurtley for the lateral ball movement.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'd like to see the box kick binned. It's a blight on the game and actually a very low percentage play. It's OK for a half to kick for field position, but how often do we see a box kick come off?

Refer to (i think) 2007. Fourie De Preez used it very successfully. I think it was when Jake White was coaching and they won the world cup.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Not sure if you're saying this, but it comes across that you are claiming the lateral movement across the backline was all Nic White's fault. He may not have had an excessively good game, but White was not as culpable as Kurtley for the lateral ball movement.

No, didn't mean to say that at all. I felt White was a little off target and sometimes his delivery was a bit slow, but the lateral movement seemed to be trained into the whole team - hence why I mentioned the tactics.

White certainly wasn't bad, but I felt he was a little off the pace. Beale and To'omua seemed to be a bit too, but for mine the biggest problem was the way all of the backs moved the ball became quite predictable.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Fardy was the brain snap king for the first ten minutes, then sorted his shit out and made an impact. Higginbotham was shit for pretty much all his minutes.

Rubbish.
The penalty for Fardy interfering in the line out was a bad call. Hde didn't touch the jumper.
Higgers was only on a short time but he carried well, put in some good hits and was at a lot of breakdowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.