• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Scotland, 3:00pm 17 June Sydney Football Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Because we don't prioritise kicking and we try to make a kicker out of a player rather than a player out of a kicker.

I'm guilty as charged, tragic!
Several weeks ago in a text message to Sam Carter, I suggested that he needed to add goal-kicking to his skills, and become another John Eales. (It's in his genes, as a common relative in the 1920s was a goal kicker, and our Son was an above-average goal-kicking fullback)!!
Sam suggested that, as Brumbies' Captain, he had enough to think about without adding goal-kicking!........ Oh well, I tried!!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not sure why the outrage.
Close game as expected when the 3rd placed team on the decline plays the 5th place team on the rise.
I enjoyed the game. Other than the final penalty there was little controversy and no soft yellow cards.
I think we looked more threatening in general play and more likely to score when in possession.
The Scots never really looked like scoring but capitalised on turnovers from exceptional defence.
Our Kicking (foley/genia) and lineout cost us that game as has been the case on many occasions yet we never seem to learn.
Yet another loss with the same or more tries than the opposition.
We rarely win unless we win the try ledger by quite a margin, and that invariably comes down to poor kicking and/or discipline.

They scored the try of the match in the second half.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Its the top 2 inches.
As I have said before, from the outside looking in, I find it hard to see how the players could see Cheika as a good leader. The whingy whiny behaviour in the box and the, imo, dumb lead up interviews do not encourage the boys to go that extra yard in doing the prep work required. Maybe they are not given good direction?
He is a motivational type leader who is only good for one or two seasons then a slow descent.
Hopefully I am wrong.

redveincheese

Billy Sheehan (19)
Well isn't that progressive and forward thinking, bring back another deserter, how the hell will the Wallabies move forward if they keep looking backwards
I think my sarcasm and sense of humor is lost on you. Perhaps it was my delivery. Jeeez, Im starting to fell like Malcolm Turnbull. Comedy is best left to the pros I think.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
What did kuridrani do of note?
If anything the whole backline was guilty of running poor lines, been slow in support play and throwing shit passes

He is the nominated hit-it-up runner off set piece, and despite how obvious the play is going to be, and despite the poor service he got from Genia off the back of scrums, he actually made ground in contact and got over the advantage line. He made a couple of breaks and probably came second to Folau for metres gained, he made his tackles and led the backline defensive line again. He made one poor pass that went a couple of metres forward of Hodge late in the game, and I agree that he looks to have lost a fair bit of pace, or may be playing with an injury. He did ok, which is a whole lot better than probably 10 of the other starting players today.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I thought Nabuli was okay apart from that near YC. The only time he ever got the ball was a last second pass squashed up against the sideline with no space whatsoever to work with, yet he still ran powerfully and managed to offload. Really needed to go looking for work in that situation, he's a really powerful runner when he's got space but he can't wait for it to come to him. He got subbed off for Hodge and then Hodge did absolutely nothing except fall over multiple times.

The Wallabies under Cheika are the most inflexible side in Tier 1 rugby IMO, by a long way. They are very unimaginative in game plan and show no ability to adjust to an unexpected game plan - even when it's something as obvious and commonly encountered as a rush defence like Scotland used. I don't remember seeing pick and goes, snipes from the ruck or anything to keep the rush defence honest other than standing ever deeper and shovelling the ball one out to forwards a split second before they got crunched.

Hell, it's taken Cheika four years to figure out that crossfield bombs to Izzy are a good way to score tries. That's hardly a novel observation but for the first four years of Cheika's reign it's hardly been done at all until these last two tests.

Nabuli was very poor and will be lucky to get another cap for a long, long time. Many better wingers available.

So, one crossfield kick in this game to Folau, and then repeated kkicks to Nabuli, DHP etc that never even looked like paying off. Where is the decision making abilities in this side? Foley and Hunt both at fault in this regard.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The complete lack of patience from the Wallabies was the most frustrating aspect for me even allowing for those two gifted tries. You cannot expect to score tries off every phase but that seemed to be our predominant mindset.

Hats off to the Scots especially for their defensive work and spirited play throughout. They've had some heart breaking losses to us (none more so than the last WC). There's small margins at this level and they thoroughly deserve to celebrate this away win.

Exactly. Just looking on, it seems the game plan is "get the ball and......panic".

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Some of the match stats from ESPN

Aus - 56% of possession and 62% of territory

18 defenders beaten to 13
22 lineouts to 11
8 penalties conceded to 15

Scots lineout defense won them this game!

tragic

John Solomon (38)
They scored the try of the match in the second half.

Try of the match? Really?
It was a defensive stuff up with hodge and DHP getting tangled up.
Haven't seen the stats but there were few line breaks and I never felt worried they were going over even with repeated phases of possession.
It was their superb defence that won them that game not their attack which was fairly pedestrian.

Status
Not open for further replies.