• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 1st Test (Brisbane)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
run Beale on at 10 next week but give someone else the goal kicking gig. Let him play, he is awesome when that's all he needs to think about.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Interesting thing about the US coverage is we get a raw live feed which includes all the "behind the scenes" banter by the commentators during the usual ad break time. The comment made by Nick McArdle to the production team just now was....."Do we have any highlights ready for O'Connor?" To which production replied, "Just one in the 43 minute."

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Garryowen
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) went off with what looked like an elbow injury so not sure we will be seeing him next week. Filling his spot is going to be a huge issue.

I'd be shocked if Robbie isn't dialing Quade sometime this week with these backs injuries.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
The backs lost it. The forwards competed really well, up until the point that they actually won the penalty that could have won us the game. Mowen, Robinson, Horwill and Moore were immense.

I don't blame Beale for that loss. Do I think he should have been there? No. Did he play well once put on? Yes. It wasn't Beale's job to kick the goals. It wasn't Beale's job to run the backline. This leads me to my next point.

O'Connor was employed as the Australian 10 tonight. Take a moment to reflect on that. Give yourself a second, and think about what an international 10 for the Wallabies, the Australian team, should do. Organise the attack? check. Organise the backline? check. Provide structure to backline play? Check. Implement a gameplan that is discernible? Check.

In my opinion, none of the above happened. Our flyhalf was directionless, and therefore our backline suffered. Genia was too often sucked into the primary playmaker role, and it stifled our attack. When Beale came on, it seemed as if he pushed JO'C out of ten, because that is what he needed to do. JO'C was not taking any responsibility, Beale at least had the balls to take some.

So no, I will not blame Beale for this loss. I feel for him. He should not have been placed in this position.

Maybe the next game the Wallabies will execute a gameplan with players that can actually execute it. Or failing that, an actual gameplan.

Props to the Lions, well played. A deserved win.
Plenty of us had concerns when it became obvious that JOC (James O'Connor) was going to be picked at 10. Poor judgement again from Deans adding to his form in this area.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well, I guess your argument is that he shouldn't be in the squad then? Which could be reasonably argued but since he is, there wasn't much Deans could do about the circumstances on the night.

The back line and two other kickers getting knocked out, JOC (James O'Connor) not getting the distance on an earlier 45m kick, Beale with the clutch 50m kick experience (SA).

He played well besides the kicking.

Yeah, that was my obvious point. Deans insisted on him being picked, and in his state of mind I thought that a risk.

Agree he played well (tackling issues aside). He gave the backline a lot more structure, or in Deans speak, more "shape".

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Massive issues out in the backs for next week. Unfortunately the occasion looks like it got to JOC (James O'Connor). How many times did he handle the ball out there? Can't have been many because he was hardly sighted. I thought the pigs did a great job though.

The fact that we nearly snatched it with a back rower playing at 12 and a half back on the wing and three blokes carried off gives me some hope oddly enough. I'll never question the character of these guys.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
But no matter who is at 10 and whether it is Super rugby or Test rugby, Genia always plays that playmaking role and does it for large chunks of games. Even does it with his BFF.

Your argument doesn't hold up. Yes Genia plays a playmaking role, but he is effective when the role is not forced upon him. Tonight you saw Genia having to take matters into his own hands far too often because our ten was simply missing.

Genia is at his best when he is able to pick his moments. To do that, he requires an organised and well drilled backline. He will generally use the element of surprise. When he is forced into making all of the play himself, his effectiveness is diminished.

Brightside05

Frank Row (1)
Cuthberts try was an obvious obstruction, they should invite Daniel Anderson over to have a chat with them about that. Palu didn't do much in the loose but he was getting through a lot of work in the tight.

9. Genia
10. To'omua
11. Mogg
12. Lilo
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) hopefully, he can actually pass a ball.
14. Folau
15. Barnes

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
This foxtel panel are a bunch of pussies. Pulling in Stu to do their dirty work and speak the truth about JOC (James O'Connor) at 10. Why weren't they saying this the last 3 weeks?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
This foxtel panel are a bunch of pussies. Pulling in Stu to do their dirty work and speak the truth about JOC (James O'Connor) at 10. Why weren't they saying this the last 3 weeks?
Because ARU, just like 95% of Australian Rugby media (the other 5% being us)

Bad boy

Frank Nicholson (4)
do yourself a favour and watch the australia vs england game 2012
berrick is a fantastic choice at 15
-good under the high ball, great defense, good boot, good pass either side, ability to link with wingers, can provide guidance to falou
he is everything we want at 15
judging by your statement im guessing you only started watching the reds as recently as after barnes left and you obviously havnt watch the full tah games this year[/quote

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Deans looked weirdly shellshocked (even by his standards) at halftime when fox got a few words from him. Hopefully he was able to communicate more meaningfully in the 5 minutes beforehand.

I thought at that point that you have to give to the men in gold, they can carry that handicap into these games and go so close.

Status
Not open for further replies.