• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs South Africa 8th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Nothing sums up where this team is at for me like that little phase of play around 18 minutes. We earn a penalty from a scrum (another dumb play from their 9 btw). It's pretty kickable but we miss.

Hooper is the only player putting the effort in to chase, misses the rebound by millimetres, and the oppositions clears relieving all of that pressure and we come away with 0 points.

It had everything.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nothing sums up where this team is at for me like that little phase of play around 18 minutes. We earn a penalty from a scrum (another dumb play from their 9 btw). It's pretty kickable but we miss.

Hooper is the only player putting the effort in to chase, misses the rebound by millimetres, and the oppositions clears relieving all of that pressure and we come away with 0 points.

It had everything.

There was also a quick throw after the initial chase where the wingers had switched off and the whole team was sleep walking to the lineout. Classic Wallabies effort. Can you imagine the ABs doing that?

Fucking shits me a thousand times more than not being good enough. It's one thing to be shit but its another not to try hard enough.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

It had everything.

The whole game really illustrates that both teams are behind not only the ABs (that goes without saying), but also England and Ireland.

I think that they are physically fit, but being mentally fit to think quickly under fatigue is a different thing altogether. The Wallabies are a product of Australian super rugby sides, who are in turn products of a flawed development system. It really is delusional to expect guys to come out of poorly performing super sides and compete with teams such as NZ, England and Ireland who are made up of players who have to deal with physical and mental fatigue and peform every week.

Reactions: dru

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
anyine else notice hodge struggling for some pace the last two games?

I'm not sure why he hasn't sought out someone to teach him to run properly, not because he's even that slow, just because of how embarrassing it must be to turn up to the team review and watch yourself give a good impression of a spooked camel each time you make it to top pace.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm not sure why he hasn't sought out someone to teach him to run properly, not because he's even that slow, just because of how embarrassing it must be to turn up to the team review and watch yourself give a good impression of a spooked camel each time you make it to top pace.
Nothing wrong with an odd gait. More likely when you are a lanky fuck too.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
There was also a quick throw after the initial chase where the wingers had switched off and the whole team was sleep walking to the lineout. Classic Wallabies effort. Can you imagine the ABs doing that?

Fucking shits me a thousand times more than not being good enough. It's one thing to be shit but its another not to try hard enough.

How do you change that? I don't understand why players at this level wouldn't be switched on - it's like we used to see at the Reds where there were no chasers for kicks. I'm interested in what would need to be done to keep players switched on at all times.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
How do you change that? I don't understand why players at this level wouldn't be switched on - it's like we used to see at the Reds where there were no chasers for kicks. I'm interested in what would need to be done to keep players switched on at all times.
tenor.gif

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

I'm the same Derpus, two things I find unforgivable is not chasing a kick/ball hard, and players not getting back on their feet quick!

B

Bobby Sands

I have no problem with Rodda being rated as one of the three or four best locks atm but if he continues to improve in the manner he has since the U20s, then in two years time he will be definitely one of the best.

Will be a beaut. I just think it might be too early for him, but its a difficult because he is already one of our best despite being very early in his development. In a stronger system, having him dominate in the NRC would be far better for him at this point with a Luke Jones type player (had we not lost him as the incumbent).

Either way, I think he is one of the few lock prospects we have that could be a truly world class lock if he can continue to develop.

Am hoping players such as Hockings & Blythe can develop (with a QLD bias of course) to be his long-term dominant lineout lock to his brute tighthead lock.

Bit of Horwill/Giffin about him.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Will be a beaut. I just think it might be too early for him, but its a difficult because he is already one of our best despite being very early in his development. In a stronger system, having him dominate in the NRC would be far better for him at this point with a Luke Jones type player (had we not lost him as the incumbent).

Players like Whitelock and Retallick were both consistent All Blacks selections by this age. I don't think it should be too early for him in any system.

There's no doubt he should get better. I just don't know that development happens any faster at a lower level. He's good enough to play test rugby now.

B

Bobby Sands

Players like Whitelock and Retallick were both consistent All Blacks selections by this age. I don't think it should be too early for him in any system.

There's no doubt he should get better. I just don't know that development happens any faster at a lower level. He's good enough to play test rugby now.

This is the same argument for Beauden Barrett. These players are the exception. Retallick as an example never floundered at the level.

My line of thinking is not that he is too young its that he is not ready.

Brody never had a period of being not ready. He developed faster than most, probably because his ceiling was so much higher.

The fact that Rodda is a first-choice lock in Australia at the moment (on current output) is concerning.

I hope Rory and Coleman become that mature locking pair that lets him develop.

Simmonds is garbage and has never been up to the level.

Status
Not open for further replies.