• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs South Africa 8th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hopefully Uelese has a full recovery from his injuries........ right now him and Folau look like our two long term hookers.

I don't think Hodge will retain the 13 jersey once Kuridrani, or even Kerevi return from injury.

Korobeite is having a bit of second year syndrome....... he was brilliant last year, but just seems a little lost out there.

Maddocks doesn't seem quite up to test rugby yet......... it would be nice to see Banks given a crack next week to see how he performs.

I thought To'omua played well, but I think some folks pre-conceived biases might be clouding the fact that the Beale-To'omua combo didn't really produce anything better than what Foley-Beale have in the past.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Agree with that

What I find interesting is we went much more conservative with Beale at 10, way more one-off passes, with Genia as the play maker rather than KB (Kurtley Beale).

Looking at a few of the more recent games against Ireland and New Zealand, we were up around 1.8 to 2 passes per ruck.

Against South Africa, we were much less, down around 1.3 to 1.4. Now was that due to the opposition, the rain or the game plan? Who knows

History tells us the Beale isn't at his best when he has to run the game for 80 mins from 10.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Agree with that

What I find interesting is we went much more conservative with Beale at 10, way more one-off passes, with Genia as the play maker rather than KB (Kurtley Beale).

Looking at a few of the more recent games against Ireland and New Zealand, we were up around 1.8 to 2 passes per ruck.

Against South Africa, we were much less, down around 1.3 to 1.4. Now was that due to the opposition, the rain or the game plan? Who knows
I think we've been far far more succesful when we play conservatively in recent years.

We don't have the skills to play fast and loose and we actually have the cattle up front to play a tight game, which is pretty much the inverse of former Wallaby squads.

If we go toe to toe with Argentina, Sanchez and their back 3 will tear us a new one.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I'm as prone to wanting change as anyone, but geez people are rough on Foley. Beale manages to turn the ball over or have revolving door missed tackles in every test, to say nothing of his ineffectiveness in attack, yet people are proposing we change everything so we can squeeze him into the 15. (15? 14? Maybe 9?)

Can anyone point to the last time Beale's x-factor attacking prowess actually more than made up for his defensive weaknesses in a test match? Because Foley actually setup a try running hard and (mostly) straight in Bled2.

Foley is tradesman-like for sure, but with a two legit kickers (hodge and To'omua) in the side his big weakness is accounted for.

If and when TK is fit, they can reevaluate, but at the moment our back line for doing the simple things well has to be foley-To'omua-hodge. Dhp at 15 and Folau on the wing.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Fair points Barb, but what happens when TK and Kerevi are fit to play in a few months/next year?

Then we have an interesting selection dilemma at 13.

I love Hodge's long kicking game but I think having a functional backline should be our first priority. He's made a case to hold onto the 13 jersey, but I wouldn't say he's been a standout.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can anyone point to the last time Beale's x-factor attacking prowess actually more than made up for his defensive weaknesses in a test match? Because Foley actually setup a try running hard and (mostly) straight in Bled2.

Last year Beale was sensational for the Wallabies, and his defence was never an issue............

And his form for the Tahs this year continued on from that..............

I have to admit he hasn't looked as good in gold this year, but that seems to apply to a few players out there.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'm as prone to wanting change as anyone, but geez people are rough on Foley. Beale manages to turn the ball over or have revolving door missed tackles in every test, to say nothing of his ineffectiveness in attack, yet people are proposing we change everything so we can squeeze him into the 15. (15? 14? Maybe 9?)

Foley is tradesman-like for sure, but with a two legit kickers (hodge and To'omua) in the side his big weakness is accounted for.

If and when TK is fit, they can reevaluate, but at the moment our back line for doing the simple things well has to be foley-To'omua-hodge. Dhp at 15 and Folau on the wing.

He's not being squeezed in there if Folau is still injured. I think he and DHP would work well up the back together. If Folau is fit then something has to give and there's only 2 spots for 3 players - To'omua, Beale, DHP. One of them goes to the bench.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Last year Beale was sensational for the Wallabies, and his defence was never an issue....

And his form for the Tahs this year continued on from that......

I have to admit he hasn't looked as good in gold this year, but that seems to apply to a few players out there.
He looked good against the Irish.

We are basing too much of our judgment on the Bledisloe tests which really only tell us that our systemic issues are keeping us well below the All Blacks.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I think we should trial this once all back and healthy. Solid defence in the middle and good counter attack and kicking options at the back. Plus 3 ball players. Beale and Folau roaving from the wings

10 - Foley
11 - Folau
12 - To'omua
13 - Kurindrani
14 - Beale
15 - DHP

22 - Hodge
23 - Maddocks

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Everybody fit i'd have:
10. Foley
11. Hodge
12. To'omua/Beale (50/50 as far as im concerned)
13. TK
14. Folau
15. DHP

With TK in the team you probably don't need to trade Beale's flair for To'omua's starch. Either way the other is on the bench with Maddocks or Banks taking up the 23rd slot.

Kerevi and Koro notable absentees.

mudfish

Frank Row (1)

RG Snyman.jpg

"First to get my shirt off gets a kiss!"

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
And in that same time frame (correct me if I'm wrong) but the Wallabies also didn't score a point. 0-0 has to be seen as a pretty good result for them I suppose.

It was hardly an attacking masterclass from us apart from the first 3 minutes of the test. The only other bit of memorable attacking play came when Fainga'a and Tupou linked up.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Personally, I'd have To'omua at 10 (but I've been arguing that since he first came in to the Wallabies).

He played his first two tests as a 10 (both against the All Blacks in 2013) and was never given a chance to find his feet after the two predictable losses.

To'omua at 10 and Beale at 12 gives us a straighter runner at 10 and gives Beale the chance to overcall and be first receive against a broken line. To'omua has a better kicking game than either Beale or Foley.

B

Bobby Sands

Rodda’s ball carrying certainly doesn’t seem to be as good as it was for the Reds. I think he’s been solid elsewhere, he has won a couple of steals for us now on our own 5m line and seems to have a relatively high work rate. I’d say his performance yesterday was pretty decent but with none of the Retallick like highlights to really distinguish it.

I agree Arnold wasn’t his best, the issues he sometimes has with his body height cropped up again and he didn’t seem to get into a good position to burst onto the ball in attack as he was for the Brumbies. I’d also still have him next week.

Rodda will be very good, but he is two years away realistically.

Status
Not open for further replies.