• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs South Africa 8th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Thought Rory Arnold played great, cemented himself as lock # 2.

I don't think so at all. Like Tui, Rory had issues with his body height early on. Fairly certain Rory either got stripped or was dominated in the tackle resulting in the Boks getting the ball back and punishing us down the other end. I'd probably say, Rory ranks as a fourth choice for me (Coleman, Rodda, Tui then Rory).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think so at all. Like Tui, Rory had issues with his body height early on. Fairly certain Rory either got stripped or was dominated in the tackle resulting in the Boks getting the ball back and punishing us down the other end. I'd probably say, Rory ranks as a fourth choice for me (Coleman, Rodda, Tui then Rory).

I don't recall him turning over the ball at all in the tackle............

But he was solid last night - he should've started more tests this year based on his form, as he's easily been one of the top two locks all year............

He should be starting next match with Coleman, with either Rodda or Simmons on the bench.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Thought Rory Arnold played great, cemented himself as lock # 2.
Really? I thought he was disappointing. Unfortunately I didn’t think Rodda was any better.

I’d still pick Arnold to start again the next test, or put Tui there. I’ve been really disappointed with our Locks so far in the RC.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Law 3.33
Replacements can come back on for injured front row, blood, HiA or anyone injured cause of foul play.

It's to encourage teams to replace players that need to be off the field (eg for their assessment)

Rodda can stay on if Arnold fails the HIA

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I don’t think FF (Folau Fainga'a) was off for HIA, just a left shoulder injury - it was iced at the end. TPN was on for injury not HIA.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Really? I thought he was disappointing. Unfortunately I didn’t think Rodda was any better.

I’d still pick Arnold to start again the next test, or put Tui there. I’ve been really disappointed with our Locks so far in the RC.

Against the Pumas I think you could get away with Samu at 6 and Tui in the row. I thought Arnold was solid without being as impactful as he had been in Super (maybe to be expected in test rugby). In maul defence his great strength had been using his height to reach over and grab the ball carrier, I didn't see him try it once last night (might be a different tactic at the Wallabies?).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Against the Pumas I think you could get away with Samu at 6 and Tui in the row. I thought Arnold was solid without being as impactful as he had been in Super (maybe to be expected in test rugby). In maul defence his great strength had been using his height to reach over and grab the ball carrier, I didn't see him try it once last night (might be a different tactic at the Wallabies?).
You can say that about any of locks. Last time we saw a strong display from a second rower was the first Ireland game.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I thought Rodda was pretty good for the whole Ireland series. But he has been a yard off the pace for the RC - not terrible necessarily - but with plenty of room/need for improvement.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
haven't read the other comments but thought i'd come on to give my general thoughts:-
1. i thought the wallabies left a lot to be desired. at times lacklust, but nevertheless a win against the boks is nothing to sniff at and something they didnt manage last year. considering the loss of crucial starting players in the lead up, and the disruption during the game, I'll give Chieka and his men somewhat of a pass. however they aint going to win on the road unless they improve a lot over the next month.
2. dont know about the beale To'omua pairing but i believe Cheika was right to find a starting spot for To'omua. a real test player. he is up there with the world's best in all areas. personally i feel like the lack of a genuine 13 is hurting us. a foley/To'omua/kerevi pairing, or even a To'omua/beale/kurindrani pairing would offer a lot more. hodge is a great man to have in the squad, but he just doesn't give us the go forward we need.
3. i think tupou should start next week. he should clearly be starting

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought Rodda was pretty good for the whole Ireland series. But he has been a yard off the pace for the RC - not terrible necessarily - but with plenty of room/need for improvement.

im happy enough with rodda's progress...he's still relatively new to test rugby, he should improve with a bit of experience

Reactions: TSR

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rodda topped the tackle count apparently and took that early line out ball against the throw.

Reactions: dru

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Rodda topped the tackle count apparently and took that early line out ball against the throw.

The problem of watching two tests with Retallick at his best is that you forget what a good performance looks like from your ordinary test standard lock.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t agree UTG. Maybe I am being tough on Rodda. I certainly rate him - I just feel he has come off the boil a bit. Generally he had been excellent this year.

Nor am I putting a line through Arnold.

The comment I originally responded to was that Arnold had cemented his appt as the number 2 lock. I thought it was fair enough he got a shot, and I think it reasonable he gets another one.

But I don’t think he was great, and I don’t just mean in comparison to Retallick and I can’t help but wonder how Simmons would have been panned if he turned in that performance.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
What did you think of To'omua?
Did nothing in attack, got a lucky try, kicked well.

Thought Beale looked like a 12 playing 10. Doesn't have the running game of Foley. I don't really get the Foley bashing.

That said they did well enough to get a second game.

B

Bobby Sands

Did nothing in attack, got a lucky try, kicked well.

Thought Beale looked like a 12 playing 10. Doesn't have the running game of Foley. I don't really get the Foley bashing.

That said they did well enough to get a second game.

I thought he offered good structure on both sides of the ball, Kurtley admittedly was a little out of sync, but the combination had a much better look to me.

Reactions: dru

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I don’t agree UTG. Maybe I am being tough on Rodda. I certainly rate him - I just feel he has come off the boil a bit. Generally he had been excellent this year.

Nor am I putting a line through Arnold.

The comment I originally responded to was that Arnold had cemented his appt as the number 2 lock. I thought it was fair enough he got a shot, and I think it reasonable he gets another one.

But I don’t think he was great, and I don’t just mean in comparison to Retallick and I can’t help but wonder how Simmons would have been panned if he turned in that performance.
Rodda’s ball carrying certainly doesn’t seem to be as good as it was for the Reds. I think he’s been solid elsewhere, he has won a couple of steals for us now on our own 5m line and seems to have a relatively high work rate. I’d say his performance yesterday was pretty decent but with none of the Retallick like highlights to really distinguish it.

I agree Arnold wasn’t his best, the issues he sometimes has with his body height cropped up again and he didn’t seem to get into a good position to burst onto the ball in attack as he was for the Brumbies. I’d also still have him next week.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I thought he offered good structure on both sides of the ball, Kurtley admittedly was a little out of sync, but the combination had a much better look to me.
To'omua looked decent but wasn’t outstanding, I’m not convinced it wouldn’t be better to have To'omua at 10 and Beale at 12 if Foley is out of the side or Beale at fullback with Foley and To'omua at 10 and 12.

Unless Quade makes a Bradburyesque comeback and turns the clock back to 2011 (very slim chances but we can hope) I think we’ll still be lacking a high quality 10 for the RWC.

B

Bobby Sands

To'omua looked decent but wasn’t outstanding, I’m not convinced it wouldn’t be better to have To'omua at 10 and Beale at 12 if Foley is out of the side or Beale at fullback with Foley and To'omua at 10 and 12.

Unless Quade makes a Bradburyesque comeback and turns the clock back to 2011 (very slim chances but we can hope) I think we’ll still be lacking a high quality 10 for the RWC.

I think it is quite obvious that Foley is not where he needs to be, and that we interchange our 10 and 12.

So given that I think it makes more sense to compare the sum, rather than the individuals, and think To'omua offers more as a partner for KB (Kurtley Beale).

In either case, its great that we are seeing experimentation. We can't just keep rolling our the same team when we are not going well, its insanity.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I’m not sure how you get that.
Kurtley was horrible at 10. He ran side ways taking away space from his runners and generally was rushed into poor options. He’s better one out or at full back. To'omua on the other hand was solid in defense and attack and contributed a lot.
What we learned was that Foley is a much better 10 than KB (Kurtley Beale) right now. Given time Kurtley may improve. We also were reminded that To'omua is test class and a good bloke to have on the pitch. Problem is he doesn’t offer the same attacking fire power as KB (Kurtley Beale) at 12.

I would guess that Cheika will run the same inside backs again next week to give it a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.