• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs South Africa - Brisbane 7th Sept 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
If To'omua or Cooper don't stand up and have a really strong game soon then Bernard Foley deserves a shot off the bench.

It is not fair to judge Cooper on a couple of < 20min cameos in a side that is already on the wrong side of the ledger.
He needs a couple of starts to show what he can do compared to To'omua.

Does the squad remain the same for the next 2 tests or will Link make a couple of changes? Robinson and maybe Timani will come under consideration and also TPN and Palu if they are fit.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It is not fair to judge Cooper on a couple of < 20min cameos in a side that is already on the wrong side of the ledger.
He needs a couple of starts to show what he can do compared to To'omua.

By the same token, if you're currently looking at Cooper as a bench player and he doesn't excel in that role then there is not really a compelling argument that he needs to be given an opportunity starting before you give someone else a crack at the bench role.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Why drop Slipper? He was one of the best on t he field for the 24 minutes he was awake.

Fair point. Just switching it up a bit in the scrum, since I think it's not clear what will work just yet. Now that I think about it, I'd have Slipper at THP and Kepu on the bench.

Gurz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Shoot me if you want, but the Springboks aren't going to win this one..

Agree Wallabies playing in Suncorp pretty much beat most teams.... why on earth we don't play ABs there considering recent success is beyond belief.

Anyway Suncorp out of the equation - Wallabies will be immensely up for this after too tough losses to kiwis - with the assistance of SAFFA refs... what more do they need to fire up about.

Looking forward to the game - I

think for the sake of Aussie Rugby the Wallabies need to get a win.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
By the same token, if you're currently looking at Cooper as a bench player and he doesn't excel in that role then there is not really a compelling argument that he needs to be given an opportunity starting before you give someone else a crack at the bench role.

No. He needs to be given a chance to orchestrate a successful game from the kick off as To'omua was on two occasions but fell short, albeit against very tough opposition.
Suggesting Coopers bench spot should go to someone else because he was not able to save the sinking ship doesn't make much sense.
Throwing more inexperience into a side that is struggling because of it is not such a great idea either IMHO.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If he can't find holes in the defensive line in the last quarter,he's not going to find any when the defence is fresh.had he outperformed the starter in each game,you might have a point.But he didn't.
Suggesting Coopers spot should go to a better performed player over the 2013 season makes sense.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Cooper did do pretty well off the bench in the first test, but I think he was poor in the second. To'omua had a stronger game.

I just don't accept the premise that a bench player is immune from challenges outside the team until they have had an opportunity starting a game.

I definitely accept Joe Blow's point about now perhaps not being the time to be rushing to introduce more inexperienced players though. Mogg and Kuridrani could easily disappear from the matchday 23 which would make it easier to bring in another new player like Foley though.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
No-one knows Coopers game better than Link.
I think he will give him an opportunity to start very soon. Foley is a great prospect but still 3rd in the pecking order by some margin right now.
Super form is not the be all and end all as an indicator of how players will perform in test rugby. The ABs are a very good example of that.
Our forwards are getting monstered and it will not get much easier against the Boks. Genia is under enormous pressure because he is the only true playmaker behind a pack going backwards and it is showing in his game.

You know it makes sense........

Gurz

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm guessing that was meant to be a gee up, but can't we leave the ref whinging from the last game out of the thread for the next one?

ah yes.... tongue in cheek....... but many a true words spoken in jest.......

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
I'm guessing that was meant to be a gee up, but can't we leave the ref whinging from the last game out of the thread for the next one?

At least until after the game....where Aussie was once against ROBBED by an incompetent and quite possibly blatantly biased ref'.:)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well... last time Alain Rolland refereed the Wallabies he made us finish the match with 14 players by not allowing Saia Fainga'a to take the field to replace TPN.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Genia is under enormous pressure because he is the only true playmaker behind a pack going backwards and it is showing in his game.

You know it makes sense....

Not really........... How are our 10 and 12 not "true" playmakers?

While the forwards can and should take some of the blame for slow ball, Genia has not done his backline any favours by further slowing down the ball himself before getting it out (has he been taking lessons from Phipps?)........... and then there's the box kicks..........

Anyways, To'omua obviously had a very nervous start against the AB's in his first ever test but he bounced back from it on the weekend with a pretty good performance...........

He deserves to retain the 10 jersey over Cooper, who really didn't offer anything when he came on.........

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
was disappointed with Siio last week and not sure Robbo has the motor any more - however what about Ryan.

I just don't think To'omua has played well enough to hold off QC (Quade Cooper) starting.

Genia should be under the scope this week as will be Mowen

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Guys if like to suggest that if you're going to keep going with the Genia's service is slow line you back it up with more than the vague feeling you have and do a little research. And the White was much quicker for the 6 passes he through in the last 4 minutes of the game thing seriously doesn't cut it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Guys if like to suggest that if you're going to keep going with the Genia's service is slow line you back it up with more than the vague feeling you have and do a little research. And the White was much quicker for the 6 passes he through in the last 4 minutes of the game thing seriously doesn't cut it.

I've got a set of miniaturised animated gifs on backorder with Rassie.

Until he comes through, vague feelings is all I have.

Richo

John Thornett (49)

A dog ate my homework, sir. Honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.