• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
John Eales played 11 years for Australia. Wish it was longer.

He's had nearly 8 years on the board of Australian Rugby. Too long.

Eales is out of his depth in the media. He is out of touch.

Snippets from his newspaper column today are worthy of an MBA in buzzword bingo.

"… much of what happened yesterday is independent of what happens tomorrow. An exception to the rule lies in the development of a robust set of team practices and culture, for they are iterative processes firming from week to week, more than they are independent."

"… First, you identify the team’s requirements. Secondly, you gather expertise in executing the fundamentals of the system with consistency. Consistency then leads to unyielding standards, which are the prerequisite for repeatable and transferable excellence."

clicky (firewalled)

Thanks for your service, John, you're a good rugby man.

Now resign. It's time for new talent to lead the game.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It never has

Really, TOCC. That is churlish for you! With pro rugby in WA we at least had a claim to being a national game. That has been deliberately destroyed by the ARU. "Never had a national pro game"? Of course we did. At least a reasonable argument could be made. It is not a argument that can be made right now. Though, without thanks to ARU, possibly might be able to claim after Twiggy gets going. Long shot? Only shot we have right now.

T

TOCC

Really, TOCC. That is churlish for you! With pro rugby in WA we at least had a claim to being a national game. That has been deliberately destroyed by the ARU. "Never had a national pro game"? Of course we did. At least a reasonable argument could be made. It is not a argument that can be made right now. Though, without thanks to ARU, possibly might be able to claim after Twiggy gets going. Long shot? Only shot we have right now.

My comments was in response to the talk of rugby having a professional game across the whole country, not the amateur. At a professional level It’s something we’ve never had it and that’s the reality, even in those states and cities that do have it, it lacks penetration beyond the core supporter base. Reds never play outside of Brisbane and Waratahs rarely take games out of the eastern suburbs of Sydney let alone to other cities within NSW.

I don’t disagree that the ARU has shrunk that base now though.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The lack of a critical voice in the media has been a major issue for Australian Rugby. The executive has existed in an echo chamber for a large part of the time rarely getting exposed to critical review and a genuine feel of what is happening at non pro levels with the fan base and non pro players/stake holders.

The direct conflicts that the commentariat has had in having executive/consultative positions on the ARU have had since about 2003 has severely compromised all aspects of the game and those involved have failed to execute their duties in any aspect of their roles properly as a result.

There is always an ethical cost when there is either a genuine conflict of interest or the valid perception of one. So people like Horan, Gregan, Eales, Clarke have lost whatever standing they had.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
So the IPRC was hoping for feedback from the EARU by Thursday.
I understand that none was forthcoming.
Sad to have an EARU Board that is so quick to make the WRONG decisions and so slow to make the RIGHT ones.
Four Aussie franchises haven't got the room for Australia's best hooker - what a circus.
Maybe the IPRC will just establish itself off shore so it can work separate from the EARU and just co-operate with the IRB and Rugby nations in the Indo - Pacific region.
The PERTH FORCE doesn't need its IP and licence to represent Australia in the proposed competition.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The PERTH FORCE doesn't need its IP and licence to represent Australia in the proposed competition.

I share your frustration FF (Folau Fainga'a), but I don't think things will work like that. ARU is a decrepit, incompetent shemozzle, but I'm hoping global rugby is better than that. Twiggy is going to need an imprimatur from the ARU.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
So I just had a look at the ARU's twitter page at @ARUhq and part of their profile encourages us to follow them at @RugbyAU which takes you to the profile page of Oliver Wilton. I hope he works for the ARU because if he doesn't they've change their name without tying up all their social media pages. Is this another sign of incompetence?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So I just had a look at the ARU's twitter page at @ARUhq and part of their profile encourages us to follow them at @RugbyAU which takes you to the profile page of Oliver Wilton. I hope he works for the ARU because if he doesn't they've change their name without tying up all their social media pages. Is this another sign of incompetence?
Given what I am told I tweeted today it may not be them, for once

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I urge everyone to use the wow emoji on Facebook to get rid of the New Zealand trolls that put the laughing emoji up for any Aussie rugby post. If u do the wow emoji we won't see their laughing emoji. No more likes! Just wows
30a371b658b2b86e8c0d4aa2a049f2e4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
surely Clyne wouldn't lie to the Senate enquiry, someone is?

That's weird the link fails after some time and takes you back one step. You need to go to "Tabled Documents" then "Correspondence" should be 3 documents, two by David Vaux & one by John Edwards.