• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The sports media in this country has been a joke for years.
I’ve been pleasantly surprised by 9 and assoc. since they took over as rugby’s primary outlet - it’s mostly been simple, straightforward coverage.

Fox is the absolute pits though, regardless of the sport.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Looks like the NRL are about to have their own Izzy Folau moment with the Manly Sea Eagles Pride Jerseys.

Only reason I bring it up is because a lot of media commentators comparing it to the RA v Izzy stuff and saying it’ll be interesting how the NRL come out of it.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Looks like the NRL are about to have their own Izzy Folau moment with the Manly Sea Eagles Pride Jerseys.

Only reason I bring it up is because a lot of media commentators comparing it to the Rugby Australia v Izzy stuff and saying it’ll be interesting how the NRL come out of it.
Genuinely curious as to what comparison is being drawn? One is an organisation promoting inclusivity within a sport, the other is an individual sharing their exclusionary beliefs. Apples and oranges in my view.

Edit: just caught up on players threatening to withdraw. Buckling up for this impending train wreck

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Let it serve as a cautionary tale, but lets not let NRL controversy spill over into here. People have strong opinions/beliefs on the issue.
Yep - was more pointing it out to show that RA aren’t the only organisation that falls victim to this kind of stuff.

NRL might be making leaps and bounds ahead of our game in certain areas, but they aren’t immune to administration fuck ups. Although to be fair it seems like this one falls on the Manly team specifically.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Genuinely curious as to what comparison is being drawn? One is an organisation promoting inclusivity within a sport, the other is an individual sharing their exclusionary beliefs. Apples and oranges in my view.

Edit: just caught up on players threatening to withdraw. Buckling up for this impending train wreck
Yet when it was a Muslim player in the AFLW it wasn’t an issue

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
And yet none of the Manly players seem to have an issue with the major sponsor that's on their jersey every week.

I would have thought gambling would be frowned upon too?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
And alcohol. MW play at 4 Pines Park.

Hasn't anyone pointed out to these gentleman they should support inclusivity and abhor LGBT exclusiveness as modern Australia has tackled and abhors racism? Also, what about the "third sex" accepted in Tonga and Samoa?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
And alcohol. MW play at 4 Pines Park.

Hasn't anyone pointed out to these gentleman they should support inclusivity and abhor LGBT exclusiveness as modern Australia has tackled and abhors racism? Also, what about the "third sex" accepted in Tonga and Samoa?
If we judged most humans by their moments of hypocrisy ............................ no one would get away clear

That shouldn't limit an individuals right to make a stand on a issue.

I respect their right to have religious\political\personal beliefs, that I personally find rather silly

But hey, they would probably find loads of my beliefs rather silly as well, that is cool too

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Amazing stuff, it’s 2022 and people are refusing to work and excluding themselves because the employer asked them to wear a symbol of inclusivity.The players do realise they aren’t been asked to turn gay themselves right?

If they took the same stance on the gambling and alcohol sponsors they gladly promote weekly, I might have a bit more respect for them.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeh the team at the centre of this whole situation aren't exactly a great choice for religious advocates.

Major sponsor is a gambling company and they're playing out of a brewery stadium.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It shows that the NRL teams should certainly do a lot more diversity and inclusion training with their players.

It should be pretty clear to all these people that being accepting of someone else shouldn't and doesn't infringe on your beliefs but seemingly it isn't (yet).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It shows that the NRL teams should certainly do a lot more diversity and inclusion training with their players.

It should be pretty clear to all these people that being accepting of someone else shouldn't and doesn't infringe on your beliefs but seemingly it isn't (yet).
That's... That's not how religious institutions role.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The uproar this has created is evidence why the gesture matters, and that there is still a hell of a long way to go. I cannot imagine how a player or fan who is a member of a minority community (LGBTQ+ or otherwise) would be feeling off the back of this.

I honestly hope it leads to the league, clubs, or individuals openly displaying more permanent messages of inclusion.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
At the end of the day, regardless of the sport, anyone who isn’t viewed as inclusive, is on the wrong side of the fence when it comes to this stuff. Not saying they’re wrong, but it’s the way professional public facing industries are going.

It’s only a matter of time before Super Rugby, NRL, NBA etc start hosting Pride Rounds the same way they host Women’s rounds.