• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah, it's definitely feels like a bit of an Australian problem that's really developed over the last decade or 2 - back when I was in high school Ballymore was literally the place to be on a Reds game night, and the game was only tangentially relevant. I know that sentiment annoys some dyed in the wool fans, but it's exactly what we should be chasing to ensure the health of the game as a whole. It's so much more sustainable than relying on results alone to bring attention to the sport.

As far as I'm aware the US is probably the pinnacle for this stuff, but just on my own personal experience the setup in the UK is much better than here, and they're not doing anything particularly special. I'm hoping it's the sort of thing that they'll look at off the back of private equity money giving them a bit of room to breath. My understanding is it can be tricky to work with the stadiums for some of this stuff, but potentially the Brisbane Olympics will leave everyone open to some new ideas and experimentation up here that can get the ball rolling.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
In the SMH Andrew Webster was saying the same thing about the Loigue - they need to work on the match day experience - maybe it is an Australian thing.

It's one thing that's made me not want to get tickets - the cost and the experience I get a better experience on Stan at the moment.
You not alone in Oz, I have heard it said here in NZ too mate, one of big things is even just getting food sellers etc to a decent price, so families can go for a night etc. I alao understand how hard it can be, older buggers like me tend to dislike the music etc that blares out of speakers at every opportunity etc. But bugger us old buggers aim at family market I say, I will go anyway!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You not alone in Oz, I have heard it said here in NZ too mate, one of big things is even just getting food sellers etc to a decent price, so families can go for a night etc. I alao understand how hard it can be, older buggers like me tend to dislike the music etc that blares out of speakers at every opportunity etc. But bugger us old buggers aim at family market I say, I will go anyway!
It’s definitely an issue in NZ, the All Blacks struggling to sell 20k tickets in Christchurch

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/all-blacks-fail-to-sellout-20000-capacity-orangetheory-stadium/

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ two factors for that would be that (a) it's a shit venue at the best of times & (b) kickoff has been pushed back half an hour which may not mean much in some places but in CheeChee in late winter it can easily be another 2-3deg colder at 10pm than 9:30.

Edit: just checked MetService & they're saying 7C at kickoff.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
^ two factors for that would be that (a) it's a shit venue at the best of times & (b) kickoff has been pushed back half an hour which may not mean much in some places but in CheeChee in late winter it can easily be another 2-3deg colder at 10pm than 9:30.

Edit: just checked MetService & they're saying 7C at kickoff.

Why on earth would you schedule a rugby match, let alone a test, at that time, date, place?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ NZR Chairman is a Cantab from way back & one if the first things I remember him saying after being elected was that CheeChee would be getting Test matches. Time-wise I'm guessing it's to do with Adelaide's quirky time zone.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
In the SMH Andrew Webster was saying the same thing about the Loigue - they need to work on the match day experience - maybe it is an Australian thing.

It's one thing that's made me not want to get tickets - the cost and the experience I get a better experience on Stan at the moment.
I had decided to give next weekends game a miss for that reason, but a few stars aligned and I’m going to be in Sydney and the kids wanted to ‘take me’ to the rugby as a Father’s Day present, etc, etc. So I was assigned the task of sorting tickets - looks like sales are going ok BTW - and I could really only find tickets behind the sticks or up in the nose bleed section in the corner. I scrolled to the bottom and saw these ’restricted view’ tickets so I clicked on that and had a look around - I bought three for $69 each, we are on the half way in the platinum area on the eastern side. I can only assume it’s a pole, or a corner view might be obstructed. It looked worth the risk.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I wish they'd completely reshape that model though, get in a few experts and redesign the match day experience (working with the super sides as well) and focus on making it the place to be on a match day arvo/night. I don't think any of the Australian sports do a great job of it at the moment so there's a real opportunity for them there, particularly in Brisbane/Sydney, where there is a big pool of 'soft' fans who can be one back by this stuff.
Probably comes down to costs involved (additional stadium staff hours, whatever food/events they offer, etc.) to make it sustainable, meaning they’d raise inclusive ticket prices even further.

I wonder if there’s also an element on concern when it comes to managing fans who’ve been sitting in the sun drinking for a few hours pre-game…

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It’s definitely an issue in NZ, the All Blacks struggling to sell 20k tickets in Christchurch

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/all-blacks-fail-to-sellout-20000-capacity-orangetheory-stadium/
Yep, seen it discussed on another forum, and a number of Chch posters saying they just will not pay to go to that stadium, no room between rows and still like a construction site after these years. But I actually think the music is possibly worse here at some stadiums, but as I say probably my age. I disliked it at Suncorp too, you want to be able to discuss game with mates during breaks etc. That and these jokers on mikes screaming to start a chant!!

Only thing worse are when crowds start f***en mexican waves!:mad::mad:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Why on earth would you schedule a rugby match, let alone a test, at that time, date, place?
Mate because they schedule them for the f***en tv, not the proper rugby people that go to games!:mad: And because of time of Aus test as WOB says?
I would guess if it was Boks or someone playing it wouldn't be there, but in all honesty this is not a big drawcard test.

Boy I like this, I can get stuff off chest today.;)

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Queen Street Cowboys rejoice! Sugar Daddy Twiggy has brought the alignment we could only dream of.

The mention of licensed products is an interesting one. Can’t imagine it’s clothing (incl. scarfs, caps, etc.) as asics is all over that
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see with asics aleady offering the obvious things - polos, cotton jerseys, flannels, etc. I'd have to think it will be along those lines though, the quote does say "... an opportunity to wear their support for the teams in gold."

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
So you're saying a limited edition run of bespoke Le House Of Le Gunston 2022 Bledisloe merch with a "french design flair" is what you're after? Interesting.....
1663370858361.jpeg

This is the archetype

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see with asics aleady offering the obvious things - polos, cotton jerseys, flannels, etc. I'd have to think it will be along those lines though, the quote does say "... an opportunity to wear their support for the teams in gold."
Good point - button ups, ties, and cuff links then. And of course a Wallabies Gold pair of Craftsman boots

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Queen Street Cowboys rejoice! Sugar Daddy Twiggy has brought the alignment we could only dream of.

The mention of licensed products is an interesting one. Can’t imagine it’s clothing (incl. scarfs, caps, etc.) as asics is all over that

Boots with wallabies tags, I saw them on thursday night & asked the bloke in the hut how much & he said these are just a promotion ..... for now.