• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Is everyone still convinced the Wallabies will hold onto Rennie through the RWC23?

If Jones is confirmed as gone today, Borthwick given the reigns for England, does RA pull the trigger on Razor ASAP if he's their man? I think it's likely he's a fair chance of the All Blacks gig, I wonder where coaching England-NZ-Australia ranked for him if given the opportunity for all three.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is everyone still convinced the Wallabies will hold onto Rennie through the RWC23?

If Jones is confirmed as gone today, Borthwick given the reigns for England, does Rugby Australia pull the trigger on Razor ASAP if he's their man? I think it's likely he's a fair chance of the All Blacks gig, I wonder where coaching England-NZ-Australia ranked for him if given the opportunity for all three.

Nah, he’ll see the RWC through…

His future beyond that depends on next years results, but I’d say most likely his contract won’t be renewed.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Georgina Robertson is reporting that Scott Robertson has a close relationship with Rugby Australia Director Daniel Herbert (and with Borthwick reportedly getting the England job) suggesting that it's likely Razor will become Wallabies coach in 2024.

Oh please let this happen.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

If Jones is confirmed as gone today, Borthwick given the reigns for England, does Rugby Australia pull the trigger on Razor ASAP if he's their man? I think it's likely he's a fair chance of the All Blacks gig, I wonder where coaching England-NZ-Australia ranked for him if given the opportunity for all three.
There has been a bit of talk that Schmidt doesn't like Razor and blocked him being called up after the Ireland series. That may serve to block him from the All Blacks job, particularly when there's another excellent candidate in Jamie Joseph available.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
If we had all the choices, I'd go Jamie Joseph over Razor.

He has international experience now. And I think Australia would be much better playing how Japan plays at the moment, more fast-paced, skilled based game.

Think about a team who has the skills and pace of Japan but with athletes who are just a bit more athletic and can hold there own in the physicality department (without trying to dominate teams like SA, England etc).

I think that would be a winning combination.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Appointing Razor feels a tad like Deans 2.0. Untested in an environment that isn't the Crusaders.

If RA wants to move from Rennie after next year, I'd be approaching Robertson and Eddie, with Eddie taking up a consultant gig to support Razor as 'young' coaches need an experienced backroom.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Appointing Razor feels a tad like Deans 2.0. Untested in an environment that isn't the Crusaders.

If Rugby Australia wants to move from Rennie after next year, I'd be approaching Robertson and Eddie, with Eddie taking up a consultant gig to support Razor as 'young' coaches need an experienced backroom.

It has been reported that Eddie to USA Rugby is pretty much a done deal, 8 year contract running through to USA RWC 2031

That information became public a week or so ago, maybe it accelerated the discussions with England about him finishing up.

Reactions: dru

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Yeap I remember reading that as well Phil. Hopefully it wasn't signed as I think having Eddie around on at least a part time basis to be a sounding board could be beneficial to rugby in Australia as all coaches should be using his IP.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Scott Robertson was mentored by Deans, but that's about where the similarities end, by all accounts Razor is a very different breed of coach, unlike Deans he's an outstandingly capable selector and strategist. His man-management is unbelievable & everyone who has worked with him (O'Gara) leaves in awe of his rugby knowledge, labelled 'a mad genius'. The few players who were previous Crusaders under Deans 8 years earlier before Robertson said that Razor was better and compared him more to Wayne Smith. Deans inherited a great Crusaders team & managed to continue that success, but Razor by all accounts is a transformational individual, who is genuinely a once in a generation coach. Think the next Wayne Smith, as opposed to 'just another Robbie Deans'.

Last edited:

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Scott Robertson was mentored by Deans, but that's about where the similarities end, by all accounts Razor is a very different breed of coach, unlike Deans he's an outstandingly capable selector and strategist. His man-management is unbelievable & everyone who has worked with him (O'Gara) leaves in awe of his rugby knowledge, labelled 'a mad genius'. The few players who were previous Crusaders under Deans 8 years earlier before Robertson said that Razor was better and compared him more to Wayne Smith. Deans inherited a great Crusaders team & managed to continue that success, but Razor by all accounts is a transformational individual, who is genuinely a once in a generation coach. Think the next Wayne Smith, as opposed to 'just another Robbie Deans'.

So why not just get Wayne Smith? Or Both!

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

If Rugby Australia wants to move from Rennie after next year, I'd be approaching Robertson and Eddie, with Eddie taking up a consultant gig to support Razor as 'young' coaches need an experienced backroom.
NOOOOOOOOOOO! Razor yes - NO Jones................

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Georgina Robertson is reporting that Scott Robertson has a close relationship with Rugby Australia Director Daniel Herbert (and with Borthwick reportedly getting the England job) suggesting that it's likely Razor will become Wallabies coach in 2024.
The age old saying is you should not go into business with friends or family, its enough of of the jobs for mates culture in RA

...... he needs to be the next NZ coach.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
She’s not suggesting that at all… simply highlighting they already have a good relationship.

He’s only an option if the Kiwis pass on him again.
Former work colleagues would be fine, however she said they were good friends:

".... It is a little-known fact that Herbert and Robertson are good friends....."

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
But in this case he isn't being signed because he is good friends, he is being signed because he is the best candidate for the job.

At least from a Rugby Australia point of view. Maybe from Robinson's point he is only signing as he's good friends but it would probably still be one of this top 3 employer choices: NZ, Aus, England.

So I wouldn't worry so much about the whole boys club. It's not like Kearne's being CEO. Robinson is actually the best candidate for the position.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Former work colleagues would be fine, however she said they were good friends:

".... It is a little-known fact that Herbert and Robertson are good friends....."
Friends as a result of having worked together, as colleagues:
It is a little-known fact that Herbert and Robertson are good friends. They met at French club Perpignan in 2003. They had played each other a number of times in Super Rugby – Herbert for Queensland and Robertson for Canterbury – but it was in southern France that a friendship flourished. It remains strong to this day.

This is not to suggest any bias on Herbert’s part. The RA director, who sits on the powerful rugby committee, has worked with many former teammates and friends over a long involvement in Australian rugby. Alongside fellow committee members Phil Waugh, Ben Whitaker, Hamish McLennan and Andy Marinos, he will put Australia’s interests ahead of personal connections.

It's a real stretch to suggest that friendship could be a problem rather than an asset here.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
There has been a bit of talk that Schmidt doesn't like Razor and blocked him being called up after the Ireland series. That may serve to block him from the All Blacks job, particularly when there's another excellent candidate in Jamie Joseph available.

Sources?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I believe it was Christy Doran on the latest espn scrum reset podcast, but I listen to a few that it could've been.

The "doesn't like" might be my memory rather than the specific wording of it, but it is my understanding that it was a case of Schmidt saying it was him or Robertson so the NZRU chose to keep Schmidt (and Foster as a result).