• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Appointing Razor feels a tad like Deans 2.0. Untested in an environment that isn't the Crusaders.

If Rugby Australia wants to move from Rennie after next year, I'd be approaching Robertson and Eddie, with Eddie taking up a consultant gig to support Razor as 'young' coaches need an experienced backroom.
That's not true though. As a coach Razor has won at NZ club level, NPC level, National under 20's level and Super Rugby level

I think people should look into his coaching record. It's much more impressive than Dean's (or Rennie's for that matter)

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
The stars are starting to line up for us to get Robertson, unless NZ makes a move. I'm getting a bit excited and would be even more excited if he was to take us to the RWC. Nothing against Rennie, due to injuries we have been able to uncover guys who might not have come into the Wallabies till after the world cup.
Quote from daily mail my (): The RFU have chosen to entrust this momentous assignment to the home-grown candidate (Borthwick) and former national captain, ahead of New Zealander, Scott Robertson.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Robertson doesn’t necessarily excite mean, I believe he is a reflection of the systems in place at the Crusaders rather than purely is coaching ability. Not to say he isn’t a good coach, just that his coaching performance in another environment would be impacted if he doesn’t have the same systems and support that exists for him now. Which Australian rugby/the Wallabies don’t have.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Robertson doesn’t necessarily excite mean, I believe he is a reflection of the systems in place at the Crusaders rather than purely is coaching ability. Not to say he isn’t a good coach, just that his coaching performance in another environment would be impacted if he doesn’t have the same systems and support that exists for him now. Which Australian rugby/the Wallabies don’t have.
So what's your suggestion, let him go and stick with Rennie? If we could get Robertson and Wayne Smith as an assistant, it could just get us a final at the RWC.
The biggest thing against Robertson is the money, not sure we have it.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I firmly believe we are better off with the devil we know. Rennie's results have been disappointing over the past year or so, but I don't think he has been disappointing on a personal level. He has been in charge in a very trying period, and the side is now showing good signs about the direction they're heading. Give us a full team for the tests leading into the WC next year, and with the depth he has brought along this year, we will be in a very good place to fight for a semi final spot. That would be enough to keep Dave in the running for an extension, I would think.

Otherwise, we would now be looking at an unknown quantity in Robertson or someone else, and the results next year would feasibly be worse. Just too much unknown imo.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Before we bring in a new coach I think RA need to look at overhauling the entire top down structure of coaching and gameplan philsophy in Super Rugby up to the Wallabies.

I'm a broken record with this stuff but too much responsibility is being placed on the Wallabies coaching staff to have the playing group firing for the international season, we clearly don't have the quality of cattle and depth in all positions to simply take our best 30 odd players and let them figure it out over a short period together.

RA need to appoint a group of high quality assistant coaches who filter out through the Super Rugby teams to help align things like S&C, gameplan and player skills. These coaches work for RA but are seconded to the Super Rugby teams over the course of a 1 or 2 year contract and report to the Super Rugby Head Coach as primary manager and Wallabies coach as secondary.

I feel like Robertson would thrive in an environment like that, overseeing that type of program.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
They could start by creating a professional coaching pathway...
This is essential. I really like the group in Super Rugby at the moment of Cron, DC and McKellar has just moved out of it.

Of the other coaches floating around what is the situation with Joe Schmidt? I know he's been around the ABs recently but surely he'd have some approaches after what he did with Ireland. I could see him taking over the ABs in a smooth style hand over post RWC.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
The Crusaders hadn't won Super Rugby for 8 years when Robertson showed up

Since he showed up in 2017 they have won every super rugby title

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
There's no way Rugby Australia are sacking Rennie before the RWC. He's our coach until the end of 2023.

I expect that will be the end of it unless we exceed expectations at the RWC.
Why is he guaranteed that? Is Rugby Australia content with losing?

At least England and Wales held their coaches to KPI's. Rennie is held up as this god like figure despite having a win-loss record not dissimilar to Wayne Pivac

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

At least England and Wales held their coaches to KPI's. Rennie is held up as this god like figure despite having a win-loss record not dissimilar to Wayne Pivac
I get what you're saying but I also don't think we are the most desirable location for some of the names mentioned. We would be paying Rennie out, then paying massive overs for someone else considered of a higher quality. If it was to happen, I think McKellar would be the coach put in place through accessibility and availability.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I somewhat agree with Adam…

Robertson has almost no coaching experience outside of Canterbury/Crusaders.

That does raise the fear of Deans Mk II.

Jamie Joseph on the other hand has a pretty good resume.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Let’s see how England and Wales travel over the next year or two…

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I reckon we're not going to spend $1m+ we didn't need to in order to get rid of Rennie a year early and hand over the keys to the kingdom for 5 years to someone else that has been appointed in a haphazard and rushed way.

What happens with the assistants? There's no way a new coach is going to be able to assemble the assistants they want for 2023 at this point in time and if you try and move on from the existing guys now that also adds a whole heap of money (we don't really have) to the bill.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
BR, I thought about this angle as well but there are a few things to suggest it is worth it.

1. An enthusiast who brings new ideas and can ID talent and bring on our youngsters.
2. A coach who brings a strong background and excellent man-management skills.
3. Someone who will bring their own ideas and demand their own assistants (an area I think Rennie has been weak in).
4. New coach syndrome - this alone will lift the team as it always does.