• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
You’ve got one player ineligible, one player unavailable through injury, and another who doesn’t play the relevant position…

Fantastic insight, once again.

I’m sure if Eddie or Razor w ere in charge, they would’ve thrown Pasitoa in against England.

I meant squad options to replace them, there is plenty of fullback cover (Wright, Petaia, Nwawa) leaves Banks redundant. Pietsch in squad as the last outside back, Marika, Perese, Kellaway, no room for a lightweight Campbell who's swatted away at test-level.

BPA could've been selected on the EOYT, only Dave Rennie chose not to. Edmed & Pasitoa the future at No.10, Rennie backed the wrong horse in Lolesio, same mistake as selecting Paisami at 12 over Foketi - that is until injury forced Dave's stubborn hands!

As we've become accustomed to, Dave Rennie has his favourites, he's constantly backed the wrong horsies. Gordon, Lolesio, Paisami have consistently produced unmitigated mares & have cost their Wallabies team dearly on multiple occasions... however, O'Conner gets promptly discarded after one rough day when the entire backline was on the back-foot. So Rennie has developed some disturbingly hypocritical tendencies in his team selections, which aren't dissimilar to Eddie Jone's recent habits with England across the last couple of seasons.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Edmed & Pasitoa the future at No.10, Rennie backed the wrong horse in Lolesio, same mistake as selecting Paisami at 12 over Foketi - that is until injury forced Dave's stubborn hands!

I agree that Lolesio is ultimately proving to be the wrong player backed at 10.

This is revisionist to suggest that Pasitoa or Edmed were reasonable options there though. Both only came on the scene this year whereas Lolesio was playing for the Wallabies in 2020 and had a fair few caps under his belt.

I don't think Pasitoa is a reasonable option whatsoever. He had some flashes but then was wildly inconsistent and injured for a bunch of 2022.

Edmed is starting to become an option but is far from the finished product.

I think Lolesio had to be persisted with for part of this year at the very least before it was reasonable to conclude he wasn't developing into the player we needed him to be.

Foketi has been out injured too much. I don't think Rennie can be blame for not selecting a player who is consistently unavailable. Even when he has got opportunity and he has been impressive, he keeps getting injured again.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I agree that Lolesio is ultimately proving to be the wrong player backed at 10.

This is revisionist to suggest that Pasitoa or Edmed were reasonable options there though. Both only came on the scene this year whereas Lolesio was playing for the Wallabies in 2020 and had a fair few caps under his belt.

I don't think Pasitoa is a reasonable option whatsoever. He had some flashes but then was wildly inconsistent and injured for a bunch of 2022.

Edmed is starting to become an option but is far from the finished product.

I think Lolesio had to be persisted with for part of this year at the very least before it was reasonable to conclude he wasn't developing into the player we needed him to be.

Foketi has been out injured too much. I don't think Rennie can be blame for not selecting a player who is consistently unavailable. Even when he has got opportunity and he has been impressive, he keeps getting injured again.
In a parallel universe Harrison played for the Brumbies and has 20 odd Wallaby caps right now.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Our 10 issue has been with us for a long time and I expected Rennie would fix it as issue #1. I don't have a clear idea who will be our 10 at the RWC if Cooper is not available, I assume it has to be Lolesio but if Eddie comes in as Dir. another old player will be dusted off.
I am hopeful one of the young guys will step up and the Super Rugby will be fascinating in that area this year.
The players I will be watching are Carter Gordon, Harrison, Donaldson, Edmed and might have a look at Pasitoa. Even if none of them makes it to the RWC we need to have a clear idea of who will be our 10 after it.
BTW I have still not written off Lolesio although I'm not sure his temperament is suitable for 10, like many here I think he is a good footballer.

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
We can't go and select crusaders players now, could we?

at the start of the season, I didn't hear too many complaints about the selections. Who would you drop from the Brumbies team, and who would you have selected (who hasn't been tried and came up wanting?)
Lukhan Salakai Loto and Ryan Smith for Cadryn Neville and Darcy Swain
Kaitu'u for Lonergan
Hamish Stewart for Lolesio only if there was never any intention to help him develop which appears to be the case.
Filipo Dagunu for Wright
Would have also tried to fit in somwhere and help develop Harry Wilson, Fergus Lee Warner,
Out of left field I would have given Alex Newsome a run at fullback rather than Banks/Wright, if Cambell was not a viable option in Rennies mind.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)

Rennie had multiple other (arguably safer) options to fill 12/13. Paisami hasn't looked a test standard player.

Some alternative options (just from Rennie's listed squads each year) for 12 or 13..

2020: To'omua, Simone, Hodge, O'Conner, Petaia.

2021: Simone, Perese, Ikitau, Hodge, Foketi, Petaia.

2022: Same as above, I think Petaia would've been more effective than Paisami (even out of position at 12) given the nature of int. rugby where every opposition midfielder is 100kg at the absolute minimum.

All larger bodies than Paisami, better decision makers, more effective ball-carriers & don't lose the ball in contact!

Izaia Perese has looked more impactful at test-level than Paisami & he's not a huge guy either, at just 91kg.

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kaitu'u for Lonergan
Hamish Stewart for Lolesio only if there was never any intention to help him develop which appears to be the case.
Filipo Dagunu for Wright
Would have also tried to fit in somwhere and help develop Harry Wilson, Fergus Lee Warner,
Out of left field I would have given Alex Newsome a run at fullback rather than Banks/Wright, if Cambell was not a viable option in Rennies mind.

It's like you're just randomly naming players...

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Hamish Stewart is another one I should've mentioned earlier, he's only 24 and would be great at 10 for Wallabies, really smart & composed player, I think he could thrive at test level, he was really effective there filling in for the Reds a couple of years ago, not sure why Creighton has been backed at 10 more recently in JOC (James O'Connor)'s absence. Thorn isn't a great selector and it cost them this season.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Kaitu'u for Lonergan
Filipo Dagunu for Wright

None of them won a super rugby championship either... I'm confused... I thought it was the fact the Brumbies couldn't win super rugby.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) couldn't get a game at the Red's and was going overseas
*Ryan Smith didn't get a chance but I believe is well down the list of 2nd rowers
Kaitu'u couldn't win the start at the force.
Hamish Stewart doesn't play 10 so he would have been a replacement at 12, in front of Foketai and Piasami
Filipo dagunu, struggled to start at the Red's and wasn't even the best in Australia A. been tried before, can't play fullback
Harry Wilson had Multiply starts and wasn't up to scratch
FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) I would have had in the squad as a 6, but probably in place of Wilson / Letoa / Hanaighan not really any Brumbies players.

Alex Newsome... Fuck me dead,

I feel your just fishing, half of these guys didn't even make the Australia A team... Lucky you're not a selector.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Anyone who's watched Lukhan Salakaia-Loto's performances for Northampton Saints must be kidding themselves if they think he wouldn't be an improvement over Swain/Nevill. Rennie is a poor selector & most have resigned to the reality of that. No need to stay in denial.

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Anyone who's watched Lukhan Salakaia-Loto's performances for Northampton Saints is kidding themselves if they think he wouldn't be an improvement over Swain.
His not playing in Oz and wasn't starting for the Reds. Kind of a moot point really.

Not like Swain has been a mainstay selection anyway. I think we should have picked Arnold or Rodda in front of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) .. BPA in front of our Hookers and Kervi in front of our centers and Quade if front of Foley, Koro in front of our wingers

oh, wait they are not available for selection. pretty dumb of me to say that :rolleyes:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Anyone who's watched Lukhan Salakaia-Loto's performances for Northampton Saints must be kidding themselves if they think he wouldn't be an improvement over Swain/Nevill. Rennie is a poor selector and most have become acceptant of that. No need to stay in denial.
Nah. He was phoning it in for the Reds and Wallabies. Seemed to me like he didn't want to be there for whatever reason.

No issue with him moving on.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Anyone who's watched Lukhan Salakaia-Loto's performances for Northampton Saints must be kidding themselves if they think he wouldn't be an improvement over Swain/Nevill. Rennie is a poor selector and most have become acceptant of that. No need to stay in denial.
I'm not sure you watch rugby at all, well at least not the same game as the rest of us.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Nah. He was phoning it in for the Reds and Wallabies. Seemed to me like he didn't want to be there for whatever reason.

No issue with him moving on.

Because of a poor environment & substandard coaching under Brad Thorn - the Reds forwards coach since he's been there.

He goes to a Northampton set-up with quality environment & coaching and it's not surprising he's now achieving his potential.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Because of a poor environment & substandard coaching under Brad Thorn - the Reds forwards coach since he's been there.

He goes to a Northampton set-up with quality environment & coaching and it's not surprising he's now achieving his potential.
Ya - we need to fix coaching among all the other issues we have. Im not sure what point you are trying to make though? The fact our franchise setups are basically amateur is not Rennies fault.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
His not playing in Oz and wasn't starting for the Reds. Kind of a moot point really.

Not like Swain has been a mainstay selection anyway. I think we should have picked Arnold or Rodda in front of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) .. BPA in front of our Hookers and Kervi in front of our centers and Quade if front of Foley, Koro in front of our wingers

oh, wait they are not available for selection. pretty dumb of me to say that :rolleyes:
he actually captained them this year.

Not playing for the Tahs didn't hinder Gleeson, nor Lonergan for the Brumbies. et al