• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think everyone worrys too much about chasing these young athletes. Focus on the players that do want to play the sport and coach them to play it properly
You do know most kids play both, and what are you talking about... We have so few oppertunities we need to chase the best rugby playing kids... same kids chased by NRL...

If we ignored every kid that played both, we would be in shit worse than ever...

1670545765902.png

Here mate answer your phone 2022 is calling and they want to tell you about the reality

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The rugbypass interview with Mike Brown has interesting comments on Razor too. Even Brown was saying good he is. I'm not even sure when they crossed paths, maybe the barbarians.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Robbie Dean's media manager Wallabies (2008-2013) & All Blacks (2001-2003) Matt McIlraith, on the Roar today:

I’ve known Scott for a long-time and worked with him as a player, and briefly as a coach. He’s a good guy.

Scott’s ‘out there’ a bit, which some enjoy, and others struggle with, but tactically he’s a very good operator, and not afraid to back his judgement and try left field ideas to gain advantage.

His sense of adventure, sense of fun, and focus on allowing his players to be themselves, and back themselves, all look like qualities that would be well suited to the Wallabies’ current need.

Scott has had two of the best mentors to be found in the game – Robbie Deans and Wayne Smith – and he has taken on aspects of the approach of each in creating his own coaching method.

Perhaps the biggest attribute Scott would bring to the Wallabies is his ability to connect with millennials, of which Australia has plenty, many of whom could be scarily good in the right hands.

As a long-time friend and former Crusader said to me, Scott understands them, and they ‘get’ him.

Which, given the likely age-profile of the Wallabies in the next few years, would make him the perfect fit.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
We all joke about Eddie, but his a fantastic coach, with brilliant ability, one of the best coaches in the world and an Australian.. I don't want him back

Obviously don't want Eddie back in a head coaching capacity because his man-management style is extremely outdated & toxic.

It's same problem of generational indifference/dissociation seen with Justin Langer & Aus players, this brings me back to Matt's point of how Razor probably relates to the millennial (& obviously gen Z) generation of players better than any coach out there.

Mike Brown made the same observation, highlighting the key difference between Eddie & Razor.

"Eddie is an experienced coach and, from my own experience, what he does on the grass is good. His tactical and technical knowledge is second-to-none... But that only gets you so far... Rugby players have changed a lot over the last decade and the environment coaches create is more important than ever."

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Out there is an understatement from what I've heard speaking to people coached by him.

His rugby knowledge is top notch but he's a very, very weird character.
QWERTY: Sounds good to me. Guys that have talent and don't kiss arse are generally better at what they do as their mind is on one thing and not trying to please several bosses.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Out there is an understatement from what I've heard speaking to people coached by him.

His rugby knowledge is top notch but he's a very, very weird character.

That plus NZR being famously (infamously?) conservative will definitely count against him wrt AB job, at least this time. But if he goes elsewhere & does the business they'll probably move heaven & earth to get him back (think Sir Ted).

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Let's think about his Super Rugby success though. Robertson took a side that looked stale, wasn't performing to their potential and who hadn’t won a title for nearly ten years and starting winning immediately. Stale and not performing to their potential - sounds a lot like NZ, England and Australia to me, so understandably people are interested.
Not disagreeing with your main point, but to be fair to Blackadder and the Crusaders pre-Robertson, the Crusaders still came 2nd in 2011 and 2014 (and only just lost the final both times), and still made the play offs in 2012 and 2013 (only just losing to a super Chiefs team in the semis both times, who went on to win the final both years). So the real question is, what happened in 2015 and 2016 just before Robertson took over?

I think it can still be argued that a poor season for the Crusaders is the exception rather than the rule, despite who is coaching them. And that's because they have a great system.

So while Robertson looks to be a great coach, and may even be the best option to coach the Wallabies, my fear is that if we are looking to him as a Messiah-coach, we may be disappointed, just like we were with Deans. And that's because the main issue for Wallabies is more than not having the right coach. I think that's been demonstrated enough already.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Not disagreeing with your main point, but to be fair to Blackadder and the Crusaders pre-Robertson, the Crusaders still came 2nd in 2011 and 2014 (and only just lost the final both times), and still made the play offs in 2012 and 2013 (only just losing to a super Chiefs team in the semis both times, who went on to win the final both years). So the real question is, what happened in 2015 and 2016 just before Robertson took over?

I think it can still be argued that a poor season for the Crusaders is the exception rather than the rule, despite who is coaching them. And that's because they have a great system.

So while Robertson looks to be a great coach, and may even be the best option to coach the Wallabies, my fear is that if we are looking to him as a Messiah-coach, we may be disappointed, just like we were with Deans. And that's because the main issue for Wallabies is more than not having the right coach. I think that's been demonstrated enough already.

Having said that, the most exciting thing about Robertson *for me*, is his understanding of the importance of TWI for a team to be successful.

Here he is, basically explaining (what he thinks is) the secret to his success with the Crusaders:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Having said that, the most exciting thing about Robertson *for me*, is his understanding of the importance of TWI for a team to be successful.

Here he is, basically explaining (what he thinks is) the secret to his success with the Crusaders:

That's a big negative for me, Ben Darwin is completely full of it, his twitter is pompous cryptic rubbish and the cohesion stuff is mostly pseudoscience and pure confirmation bias.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Well Todd Blackadder's win-percentage was 63% compared to Razor Robertson's 85%. Robbie Deans was 74%.

And is winning 6 consecutive titles (after a significant amount of generational talent left..) not good enough for you?

The Crusaders themselves have had much more talented squads win championships in the past under Robbie Deans.

Blues had better than all - those 90's/early 2000's Blues teams were simply miles above anyone in terms of 'raw talent'...

The Brumbies also had some very talented sides between 1997-2005, MacQueen, Jones, Nuicifora, all led them to titles.

No one ever questioned Graham Henry, Eddie Jones or Rod MacQueen's credentials - simply because of the reality that they coached talented sides to Super Rugby titles. So why I'm curious to ask... are you seemingly applying a different standard for Razor Robertson?

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No one ever questioned Graham Henry, Eddie Jones or Rod MacQueen's credentials - simply because of the reality that they coached talented sides to Super Rugby titles. So why I'm curious to ask... are you seemingly applying a different standard for Razor Robertson?

It was certainly a bold move by the NZRU to recruit the inexperienced Henry after coaching Wales and the B&I Lions…

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I lean more toward that teams are cohesive because they win, than they win because they are cohesive.
Not sure about that. I think teams become capable when a good coach is forced or better still chooses to bring in young talent and build a foundation ie Phil Mooney at the Reds, the next coach gets the glory. Then everyone recognises that the team has great 'cohesion'.
Basically, I agree with you but just wanted to explain my thinking on how great teams are built.
The 'Phil Mooney syndrome' is why most coaches want proven players and won't invest in young talent unless it jumps up and hits them in the eye like Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase).

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well Todd Blackadder's win-percentage was 63% compared to Razor Robertson's 85%. Robbie Deans was 74%.

And is winning 6 consecutive titles (after a significant amount of generational talent left..) not good enough for you?

The Crusaders themselves have had much more talented squads win championships in the past under Robbie Deans.

Blues had better than all - those 90's/early 2000's Blues teams were simply miles above anyone in terms of 'raw talent'...

The Brumbies also had some very talented sides between 1997-2005, MacQueen, Jones, Nuicifora, all led them to titles.

There is little faith in good coaches or many players for that matter until they prove themselves overseas, it is the Australian curse.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Moaning Herald spoke to Hamish McLennan and he spoke to Eddie about getting him back to Australia - nothing certain about in what role but looks like Rugby Australia starting the groundwork
Im curious as to you preferred newspaper?