• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
If he was from Brisbane we'd be saying he doesn't know Sydney Club Rugby.... This is half the problem with Rugby here. It's so dispersed I don't know how anyone would tick every Rugby fans box in this country. I'm not defending him or think he really suits the role but we would be ready to put the boot into whoever got the job really. Rugby Australia was never going to nail this. They haven't nailed anything in the last 20 years.
I think this goes a ways to summing up the sentiment from many, myself included, why a 'rugby identity' may not have been the best choice - selecting someone from outside of the system, based on their business/operational successes and experience, could have helped to reduce any unconscious biases and beliefs around how things should be run, and limit the number of established relationships with key stakeholders (who happen to be your mates).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Raelene Castle and Bill Pulver were both hired through an executive search firm and largely people were unhappy with them. Castle came with the sporting organisation background and Pulver came with previous CEO experience.

We probably don't have nearly the expertise internally at RA given the departures in recent years through COVID etc. that an internal promotion was ever possible.

I wonder whether the NSWRU or QRU CEOs applied?

Reactions: dru

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
If he was from Brisbane we'd be saying he doesn't know Sydney Club Rugby.... This is half the problem with Rugby here. It's so dispersed I don't know how anyone would tick every Rugby fans box in this country. I'm not defending him or think he really suits the role but we would be ready to put the boot into whoever got the job really. Rugby Australia was never going to nail this. They haven't nailed anything in the last 20 years.

Other sports seemed to have managed better and I acknowledge that plenty of people stick the boot into their CEO's as well.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

And this would be a valid criticism. Anyone who takes a view that they are all over community rugby through a single city is just missing the point. If the bloke had made claims re NSW and followed up with planning discussions elsewhere it would be valid.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Other sports seemed to have managed better and I acknowledge that plenty of people stick the boot into their CEO's as well.

The NRL and AFL are both big enough that internal promotions are pretty viable. The long term 2IC is very likely to have the best CV for the job.

Cricket Australia's CEO also came via an internal promotion.

Are there any good examples from other sports of strong hires that could serve as a good example?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Raelene Castle and Bill Pulver were both hired through an executive search firm and largely people were unhappy with them. Castle came with the sporting organisation background and Pulver came with previous CEO experience.

We probably don't have nearly the expertise internally at Rugby Australia given the departures in recent years through COVID etc. that an internal promotion was ever possible.

I wonder whether the NSWRU or QRU CEOs applied?
Haven't seen this noted here yet, but exec search firm Hattonneale were engaged for this search ending in Waugh.

They were the ones who also identified Marinos - not sure about Pulver and Castle though.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The NRL and AFL are both big enough that internal promotions are pretty viable. The long term 2IC is very likely to have the best CV for the job.

Cricket Australia's CEO also came via an internal promotion.

Are there any good examples from other sports of strong hires that could serve as a good example?

The comment was mostly in response to the bolded bit and reflective of the fact that other sports with a national footprint have the same challenges. I think the AFL, Cricket, Swimming and up until recently Netball have navigated the challenges of a dispersed player, club and supporter base reasonably successfully. There are always gripes about bias, as GoR alluded to, but that's natural with the level of state based parochialism we have in this country.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Haven't seen this noted here yet, but exec search firm Hattonneale were engaged for this search ending in Waugh.

They were the ones who also identified Marinos - not sure about Pulver and Castle though.

They were the firm that did Pulver and Castle. I didn't know about Marinos and Waugh (my contact no longer works there).

Obviously we don't know how much McClennan and co influenced the outcome but it's also clearly benefits a candidate if they already have a working relationship with various stakeholders in the game.

It's somewhat a catch-22 because a lot of people would like an outsider to come in because they aren't part of the old school tie network that people see as being a problem in rugby. Likewise that person will have far less exposure to the problems facing rugby and the issues within the various levels of the game.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
They were the firm that did Pulver and Castle. I didn't know about Marinos and Waugh (my contact no longer works there).
Mentions of Hattonneale for Waugh and Marinos are from this article about the disagreements over Sua'ali'i - haven't seen mention of how the search was conducted anywhere else, however.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...tralia-ceo-s-resignation-20230502-p5d4zg.html

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

You're never going to get everything you want. I fully accept that. But I'm a little tired of people talking about grassroots but only ever going as far as the Shute Shield and to a lesser extent the Hospitals Cup. While they do have a grassroots element to them they are more or less the tip of that particular spear. The vast bulk of the grassroots exist outside of these clubs (or at least it should) and it's health and accessibility is vitally important to the future of the game in this country.

I'd be all for more alignment and inclusion with these levels. But I just want to see something concrete done to address the shortfalls that exist.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Rugby Australia is based in Sydney. Whether you like it or not that is the case. As a sporting organisation I would imagine the CEO's salary would have deterred some real heavy hitters as it probably was not enough. I would imagine all the direct reports at the AFL and NRL are getting paid more than Waugh probably is.
Stands to reason a Sydney person would likely get the role and hence they would have good knowledge of the Sydney landscape. As an existing Director of RA he would have some idea of the landscape in other states. And no doubt relationships he can call on to discuss with.
I am not sure whether he is the best person for the role but many factors can dictate whether you get the best person such as salary and where they want to live.
All the people on this forum are invested in Rugby I would say. We all have an interest in making sure that Rugby in Australia moves forward especially as we have a golden period over the next 9 years leading into the Olympics.
Even though another Shore boy is now in charge at least he is an Australian who has passion for the Wallaby jersey and will do what he can to improve Rugby in this country. Maybe we should start supporting and being part of the rugby community rather than trying to pull it down with negativity.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t think that’s fair. I’m not trying to pull rugby down at all. I’m saying that the appointment of Waugh seems to be a continuation of the same old shit that got us to where we are.

Now that the appointment is done of course I hope he does an outstanding job but I completely reject the notion that expecting better of the current administration equates to us pulling rugby down.

I want a better run game and that includes better transparency from the administration, even after the fact.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
We need someone who can embrace the whole country and each state's grassroots. WA is the only state that had an increase in registered players last year so hopefully he recognizes that. With the amount of ex-pat English, South African's and Kiwi's moving into non traditional rugby states the demographics are changing. So if he does just focus on shute shield as the definition of "grassroots" the game will continue to struggle

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
We need someone who can embrace the whole country and each state's grassroots. WA is the only state that had an increase in registered players last year so hopefully he recognizes that.

Was talking to Stephen Moore recently and he has just started getting more involved with GPS Rugby via Brisbane Grammar where he is an old boy and his eldest son now attends. He was nearly hospitalized when handed the figures for current number of players registered to play rugby at the school and across GPS in 2023. It's not great.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Was talking to Stephen Moore recently and he has just started getting more involved with GPS Rugby via Brisbane Grammar where he is an old boy and his eldest son now attends. He was nearly hospitalized when handed the figures for current number of players registered to play rugby at the school and across GPS in 2023. It's not great.
I know numbers would have declined anyway, but moving rugby to Term 3 really backfired - a bit unlucky that it coincided with the growth of basketball's popularity, but I don't think that was unforeseeable at the time.

I was coaching junior grades at BGS over the period which included that change and the number of boys (and staff) lost to basketball took everyone by surprise - in some grades, it was near-as-makes-no-difference a 50% reduction year on year. We went from thinking about trying to field an E team to barely being able to scrape together a C team. I vividly remember overhearing a conversation between Phil Mooney and a couple of other sports coordinators within the school who were flabbergasted by it.

As an aside, it's great to see Moore getting involved.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I hope the powers that be are taking lessons from the RFU’s private equity deal.

Surely one of the biggest being, "CVC? lmao get outta here with that weak sauce". I mean, even my smooth brain discovered that from looking at the fate of F1, back when the NZR deal was still up in the air.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I hope the powers that be are taking lessons from the RFU’s private equity deal.
It wasn’t RFUs private equity deal though, it was a PE deal with Premiership Rugby which is owned by the clubs, not RFU.

and the clubs voted that the majority of the PE injection be distributed directly to the clubs, which they all burned through during COVID with little left over.