• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez Knuckles Connoly isn't being shy with his thoughts on Eddie is he??

John Connolly was nicknamed ‘Knuckles’ on account of his past occupation as a nightclub bouncer and the former Australia head coach pulls no punches on his assessment of Eddie Jones’ return with the Wallabies.

“A bloody disaster mate,” Connolly says from Down Under. “How did we end up with Eddie again? He is full of it. He talks a great game but plays a terrible one. He is a charlatan, he is a failed selector. He was the captain’s pick by the chairman who just came into the job.”

Connolly succeeded Jones as Australia head coach first time around in 2006 and had to deal with the broken shell of a Wallabies squad that had lost eight out of nine Tests.

“When I took over from Eddie, the players were like beaten down sheepdogs,” Connolly said. “If you walked in a room they would have their heads down and were scared to do anything. There was no leadership. There was no development. It was a total void that took nearly a year to rebuild. I can’t believe we have made the same mistake again.”

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Geez Knuckles Connoly isn't being shy with his thoughts on Eddie is he??

Geez You've been shopping this clickbait from the pommie Torygraph around today, Daniel...

Connolly in no longer "Knuckles" these days, mate. He's now a paraplegic after breaking his neck. Sad story.

Yep, Eddie was a failure first time around after inheriting a champion team. While Connolly did slightly better, his own coaching career had already peaked and he wasn't the Messiah either.

Eddie is a better coach now than he was 20 years ago. Maybe his career peak has also passed ... But we don't know that yet.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
In melbourne for bled. Any luncheons on saturday or club rugby to watch near the cbd?
I presume you’re staying in the CBD, Powerhouse is the easiest club to head to for local games. It’s one of 2 clubs right on the outskirts of the CBD but the easiest to get to via Tram (the Tram will basically drop you right at the fields). The other CBD friendly club is Melb Uni, depending where you stay it might be closer.

Just looked at the schedule. Powerhouse playing at home against Box Hill at 2pm in Dewar Shield. Melb Uni away this week.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Went to look at buying one of those R.M. Williams jerseys, Gold is sold-out in all sizes but small, Brown & Blue look completely sold out.

Maybe someone at R.M.Williams understands their target market….
It’s been brilliant marketing from those that have done it. The brilliant thing is barely any advertising spend because there has been so much exposure from some people getting hot under the collar for some strange reason.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez You've been shopping this clickbait from the pommie Torygraph around today, Daniel...

Connolly in no longer "Knuckles" these days, mate. He's now a paraplegic after breaking his neck. Sad story.

Yep, Eddie was a failure first time around after inheriting a champion team. While Connolly did slightly better, his own coaching career had already peaked and he wasn't the Messiah either.

Eddie is a better coach now than he was 20 years ago. Maybe his career peak has also passed ... But we don't know that yet.
I didn't realise that about Knuckles or even the Telegraph was a pommy paper Kiap. it came up on one of my rugby threads, But as anything in press (as everyone knows with me) I take it all with a grain of salt anyway. As I say often just click bait and I probably got sucked in.
GFeez so sad to hear about his accident, I genuinely liked what I ever saw of Knuckles, was a pretty straight up fella when I heard him speak at a couple functions!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Went to look at buying one of those R.M. Williams jerseys, Gold is sold-out in all sizes but small, Brown & Blue look completely sold out.

I not surprised really Adam, I reckon they are pretty good, and I the type (like a few people) who doesn't like buying copies of player's jerseys, and those are good compromise.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)

I am in the R M Williams store in the city as we speak - there is a a bit of the Wallabies stuff left only a few gold and blue jerseys though. I am people watching while the others browse leather goods, the people looking at the RA merch are definitely not the stereotypical types that the Beetoota and slim would have us believe. Quite diverse actually, it’s pretty interesting.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I am in the R M Williams store in the city as we speak - there is a a bit of the Wallabies stuff left only a few gold and blue jerseys though. I am people watching while the others browse leather goods, the people looking at the Rugby Australia merch are definitely not the stereotypical types that the Beetoota and slim would have us believe. Quite diverse actually, it’s pretty interesting.
I saw heaps and heaps of the RM jerseys at the game last night. They got delivered quick.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I am in the R M Williams store in the city as we speak - there is a a bit of the Wallabies stuff left only a few gold and blue jerseys though. I am people watching while the others browse leather goods, the people looking at the Rugby Australia merch are definitely not the stereotypical types that the Beetoota and slim would have us believe. Quite diverse actually, it’s pretty interesting.

Maybe it will be the catalyst to finally unify the various Sydney rugby factions…

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Maybe it will be the catalyst to finally unify the various Sydney rugby factions
I did get a photo as evidence but I wasn’t sure what the protocol was with putting something like that up. Plus the big Fijian guy who was one of the subjects may not have appreciated it. So I deleted it.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Looks like the model for a third tier is crystalizing with a meeting of state chief executives this week:

"[The NRC] is not on my agenda," Waugh said. "My strong belief is we've got real tribalism across our clubs, being the John I Dent Cup, the Shute Shield, the Hospital Cup and in Melbourne and Perth as well. We have strong identity of clubs, strong tribalism within clubs and my view is we have a great opportunity to leverage that tribalism within clubs in a more integrated fashion interstate.
"We should lean in and invest in our club competitions. If there's an opportunity to do a European Cup-style end-of-season competition involving the top performers within the club competitions, that's a good opportunity to grow the clubs."

Can't say I'm particularly excited by this - it looks overly expensive and inefficient from a player development perspective. There is a lot riding on the idea that the club brands will bring more buy in and potential growth and I find that hard to believe.

From a Reds perspective the a 3 game challenger series and 1-2 game Japan tour looks like a better development tool at significantly lower cost, but it will likely have to be curtailed or compromised to fit this in.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Looks like the model for a third tier is crystalizing with a meeting of state chief executives this week:

Can't say I'm particularly excited by this - it looks overly expensive and inefficient from a player development perspective. There is a lot riding on the idea that the club brands will bring more buy in and potential growth and I find that hard to believe.

From a Reds perspective the a 3 game challenger series and 1-2 game Japan tour looks like a better development tool at significantly lower cost, but it will likely have to be curtailed or compromised to fit this in.
100% agree. Does absolutely nothing to upskill our players or bridge the gap between Super Rugby and club.

Having played QPrem and Dewar this will tank as well. Almost zero interest in fans wanting to watch teams from other states and as a player I’d struggle to see the development opportunity from it. But it is a great paid weekend away somewhere to get on the beers with the boys and run amok in a different town. The clubs involved will love it as it will come with a nice financial handout from RA.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)