• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's 100% nothing that hasn't previously been expressed. An 8 team national competition built off of the back of the Super Squads is the best vehicle for developing domestic players 50-250. Brumbies, Rebels, Force like it because it keeps the core of the squads together for those additional games rather than see them fuck off to Brisbane, Sydney, NZ etc., QRU liked it because of how good a development tool it was for them. Both Kiwis and Saffas involved at the professional level can see that the Australians work just as hard, if not harder than their boys on the training paddock and in the gym, but just don't have those genuine high performance minutes in the legs at 23-25.
And the people that didn't like it were - Shute Shield, and their NSW Rugby patsy's.

However, there is that problem with NSW, if you're going to have three teams, how do you split them, how do you get buy in for each team when there's not really been that investment in the past. I get the NSW Country Eagles - basically anyone out of Sydney (and that's who I support), it's the make up of the Sydney teams.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
However, there is that problem with NSW, if you're going to have three teams, how do you split them, how do you get buy in for each team when there's not really been that investment in the past. I get the NSW Country Eagles - basically anyone out of Sydney (and that's who I support), it's the make up of the Sydney teams.
I think it'd probably be some version of Eastern Sydney, Western Sydney and Country/Newcastle. The only real problem there is how many players you might need to relocate to Newcastle if you based the country team there which could complicate things, but with their entry into Shute Shield looking more permanent it's much more achievable than it was 5 years ago. Initially they could easily be based more in Northern Sydney with some games in Newcastle to lower costs

You could do club alignments within that if you really had to but it's definitely not necessary - just look at how the QRU ran Brisbane City and QLD Country - lean on country connections where possible for that side, but otherwise evenly distribute the super talent around the teams and fill them up with next best club players regardless of who they're playing for. It is first and foremost a development competition and needs to be run as such.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It seems that a choice of buy-in is required. On one hand you have a chance of getting the SRU honchos on board, on the other you get the franchises but pretty much guarantee to lose Sydney. Again.

I don't like it, but I'm guessing that a compromise may err on the Sydney/club side of that argument this time round.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
In the first instance I'd prefer a domestic comp of 10-12 teams. If that ever had a chance it was during the planning in the period before and during COVID. It's not happening.

Next preference is two tier comp via the State Unions with a nominated (preferably two teams each) Second tier representative teams pulled out of the local club comp + non playing Super squad. That was NRC and has not survived, I am interested in how the RA may think to adjust it if it is the chosen path forward.

The final option is a club based system largely around Shute Shield, John I Dent and Hospital Cup. Too many teams and variation in quality I would think. However, an initiation phase could be a broad inter club comp in order to a promotion/relegation system and see what happens over a few years. Cream will tend toward the top clubs and set a base for a new third tier. I don't think there is a way to pull together a club based comp without winners and losers and having a problem with what happens at community level the next step. But if they don't want to get on board some form of rep system, not sure of suitable vehicles to get there.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Phil Waugh was on the Roar Rugby podcast this week where they asked about a potential 3rd tier (starts from 29.40)

I am happy to give him a fair shot at the role. But jeez that interview was a lot if gobbledygook. The words club and connection might have been mentioned 20+ times each. Brett basically did a non-offensive please explain why the current clubs aren’t playing each other and why do Aussie players play less pro rugby than anyone else and we get a club/connection rugby answer back. So frustrating, it’s just seems like whoever does the role has to tippy toe around some people. There will be some Super Rugby chairmen pulling their hair out with the chat around it

Last edited:

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am happy to give him a fair shot at the role. But jeez that interview was a lot if gobbledygook. The words club and connection might have been mentioned 20+ times each. Brett basically did a non-offensive please explain why the current clubs aren’t playing each other and why do Aussie players play less pro rugby than anyone else and we get a club/connection rugby answer back. So frustrating, it’s just seems like whoever does the role has to tippy toe around some people. There will be some Super Rugby chairmen pulling their hair out with the chat around it
I love that he says we all need to get on the same page about what to do - from my perspective it looks like all the super rugby sides are agreed the ideal model is somewhere between Super AU and NRC and it's only Phil who wants this bastardised club comp.

Monty

Frank Nicholson (4)
I love that he says we all need to get on the same page about what to do - from my perspective it looks like all the super rugby sides are agreed the ideal model is somewhere between Super AU and NRC and it's only Phil who wants this bastardised club comp.
I’m just hoping (potentially naively) that he knows a proper 3rd tier has to be done but he can’t come out and say that directly because he needs to bring the premier clubs along with him

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Hopefully they can sit them all down and get consensus from the Super Rugby sides over parochialism of Rugby people.

As well as player development it is a huge chance to grow the coaching pool and knowlege. We lose as many coaches overseas as players as soon as they are at a Professional standard.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm waiting for a journo to put exactly this to him... I wonder who could do so? Not sure any of the higher-profile ones, particularly Atko or Doran, would risk any RA contacts icing them out as a result

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The RM gear's getting around
1692156337675.png

Bonus random Souths supporter
1692156458855.png

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Haven’t heard.

Be great to see a RWC run.

Depends so much on their want I guess but during Super Rugby would be good if they had a Monday recap then a Thursday preview of the next round. Half a show of game chat then half of whatever they want.