• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
So, I can't follow completely - does this mean we get fucken nothing?
If so, tell them bluntly to enjoy their non-opposed training run.
No the FFR have come back with a significantly lesser offer by the sounds of it, they’re blaming the debt the union is carrying as the reason they won’t honour past agreements

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
No the FFR have come back with a significantly lesser offer by the sounds of it, they’re blaming the debt the union is carrying as the reason they won’t honour past agreements
See my above post. Fuck them. They get nothing then.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So the French made a 1mil euro offer for a game, and noone got it in writing?? What was it a pinky promise?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So, I can't follow completely - does this mean we get fucken nothing?
If so, tell them bluntly to enjoy their non-opposed training run.
Probably FFR have already had a series of warm up games and so if they missed one it not be as big a problem. I do agree it sounds not flash, but can't really pull pin can they?
Verbal agreements piss me off, we only have people's words for what's in it (which should be enough I think) but leaves door open for this shit.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
Probably FFR have already had a series of warm up games and so if they missed one it not be as big a problem. I do agree it sounds not flash, but can't really pull pin can they?
Verbal agreements piss me off, we only have people's words for what's in it (which should be enough I think) but leaves door open for this shit.
My knowledge of the law - such as it is or was - tells me that a verbal agreement can be an enforceable contract. I know nothing about French Law. But Tony Abrahams would, they should get him onto the case.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
My knowledge of the law - such as it is or was - tells me that a verbal agreement can be an enforceable contract. I know nothing about French Law. But Tony Abrahams would, they should get him onto the case.

Me either, however my understanding is that French law is largely coded civil law - where the written word takes a higher standing than things like common law. Maybe our legal posters could comment? Derpus?

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I can't imagine the only time the revenue sharing was only discussed on a telephone/teams call.

There would no doubt be references to it in emails whether explicitly or implicitly stated.

There's no point briefing lawyers and silks all for the sake of $1.something million. More importantly it's not going to be resolved in any meaningful time frame either.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)

Given there doesn’t seem to be a contract for the game between us and the frogs, but I am sure they have commercial commitments to the stadium and broadcasters I’d say their downside is way bigger than paying us €1m.

Interesting there doesn’t seem to be any noise in English language media. Hamish has always been pretty keen to air his grievances that way.

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
Sorry Brumby are Aussie A over there? Just you suggested playing Aussie A, so I thought to do that they would fly home to do it. Didn't you mention Wallabies should play them?
Aussie A play Portugal in Paris on the 26th, so yea they will all be over there.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think France have more to lose than us if we pull out; they've played Fiji and Scotland only. They sent a B team to Scotland and lost and only just scraped over Scotland with their full-strength side. NZ are playing the Springboks at Twickenham. They'll be severely underprepared (especially after losing Ntamack) if they don't play us and they can't organise a game against good opposition with such short notice.

Time for McLennan to back up his words.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Really good podcast episode this one.

Dan Herbert interviewed and he’s always pretty pragmatic and insightful.

Then some good rugby chat about club footy, wallaby squad and Aussie A.
Thanks for the recommendation Reg, it was really good. It's both very pleasing to see someone on the RA board who is so clear and candid about the problems and potential solutions, and simultaneously depressing that even when the board is aware of these things from within, nothing much can change.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks for the recommendation Reg, it was really good. It's both very pleasing to see someone on the Rugby Australia board who is so clear and candid about the problems and potential solutions, and simultaneously depressing that even when the board is aware of these things from within, nothing much can change.

that was a big takeaway for me - we are also in the last chance saloon stage.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
that was a big takeaway for me - we are also in the last chance saloon stage.
Unfortunately, it doesn't feel like we're in the last chance saloon. The Lions tour and home RWC are helping us retain some good talent. If the last 20 years have taught us anything, we will continue to think we "just missed" winning the Bledisloe back each year, even if the reality is quite different. We could continue to muddle through until 2028 in more or less the same state as today. That's when things will get nasty, I feel. Especially if the injection of cash from private equity is wasted on salary topups, state unions, and helping a few premier rugby clubs afford a national club comp for a few years....

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Unfortunately, it doesn't feel like we're in the last chance saloon. The Lions tour and home RWC are helping us retain some good talent. If the last 20 years have taught us anything, we will continue to think we "just missed" winning the Bledisloe back each year, even if the reality is quite different. We could continue to muddle through until 2028 in more or less the same state as today. That's when things will get nasty, I feel. Especially if the injection of cash from private equity is wasted on salary topups, state unions, and helping a few premier rugby clubs afford a national club comp for a few years....
That sounds a lot like it's our last chance now. I.e. turn it around now or in 5 years it's all over.