• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
As someone born and raised in the city's west. And as someone who resides on the southwest fringe. There isn't the interest in the game to support a team. For a team to work it would require a very substantial investment of time and money. Decades of neglect has ensured that.
All you need to know about rugby in the west compared to league is this ..

The Emus- perennial wooden spooners, broke & kicked out of the Shute shield …

Vs

The Panthers, champs 3 years in a Row & wealthiest club in the country

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
KOB, Penrith were in the JID comp the last two years but will be missing next year. I believe the problem, apart from 50 - 100 point beatings on a weekly basis, was their inability to field a seconds (reserve grade) team. Is there really the interest in Western Sydney we like to think?

I am heartened by your reassurance there is no reason to move the Brumbies. I do not, however, share your confidence in anything Rugby Australia might touch with their grubby fingers. Why will they not give the Brumbies a guarantee that they will still be around and based in Canberra in two years time?
As someone born and raised in the city's west. And as someone who resides on the southwest fringe. There isn't the interest in the game to support a team. For a team to work it would require a very substantial investment of time and money. Decades of neglect has ensured that.
I understand both of your points. I wasn't actually meaning to create a club to play in the ACT comp, I was thinking more along the lines of splitting the (say) 8 westernmost clubs off to play each other in a regional zone comp that is governed by the Brumbies. Pfitzy could interject here, but I just wonder if a comp like that would work better to grow the game out that way than the current various subbies comps they all play in currently, which involve signifcant travel. Obviously it would make more sense for NSWRU to oversee that if it were to happen but WCR's use of the word 'neglect' is the pertinent point.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I understand both of your points. I wasn't actually meaning to create a club to play in the ACT comp, I was thinking more along the lines of splitting the (say) 8 westernmost clubs off to play each other in a regional zone comp that is governed by the Brumbies. Pfitzy could interject here, but I just wonder if a comp like that would work better to grow the game out that way than the current various subbies comps they all play in currently, which involve signifcant travel. Obviously it would make more sense for NSWRU to oversee that if it were to happen but WCR's use of the word 'neglect' is the pertinent point.

Neglect is the nice way of saying 'couldn't give a shit'.

As for the regional comp thing. Someone some time back proposed a restructure of the subbies comp based on region. With the exception of the clubs in the 1st Div. Which would span the city for the sake of competitiveness. But from 2nd grade down. Clubs would compete within their region. I think that would be a solid idea. Pfitzy would obviously have a better take on it's practicability.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
The Penrith Emus situation really has me flumoxxed - a consistent 1st division subbies club in the 90s that should have stayed there. I assume the amateur status of subbies is the reason the Emus aren't back in subbies. Like Hornsby which plays in the Central Coast comp these days. There are a handful of junior rugby clubs pumping out some very good players, some schools which play rugby and a diaspora of people for the PI who grew up on rugby - how do they harness that into an amateur club in Div 2 - they'd kill it I reckon.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I’d call this a strategic press release
Just in case there was any doubt:

That's the Reds head of communication with a pretty strong statement. And fair enough too, one of the unspoken parts of centralisation is that there will be people made redundant at the super sides. If they have been delivering in their roles and have a good argument to support that now is the time to be getting out there with it.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
It doesn't look like the negotiations with the Brumbies are going well either:

It isn’t a factor that NSW Rugby has to worry about but many in Canberra are fearful if the Brumbies hand over full control - including branding - to RA, the club could be relocated in the future.

Sources with knowledge of the situation, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to confidential negotiations, said the Brumbies had proposed alternatives for professional co-operation, but RA is still playing hard ball and pushing for full control. Via lawyers, the governing body this week demanded the Brumbies prove their solvency.

Wouldn't think that it's headed towards an amicable resolution.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Neglect is the nice way of saying 'couldn't give a shit'.

As for the regional comp thing. Someone some time back proposed a restructure of the subbies comp based on region. With the exception of the clubs in the 1st Div. Which would span the city for the sake of competitiveness. But from 2nd grade down. Clubs would compete within their region. I think that would be a solid idea. Pfitzy would obviously have a better take on it's practicability.
I reckon hijack the whole region if they are going to do it. They already have Penrith, Blue Mountains would probably be hardest to get on board as they won Kentwell this year, but I suspect they have been beneficiaries of Penrith playing in the ACT comp. There would be a bit of inequality between clubs but this could be worked around initially while the comp gets going and players work out which club they want to play for - for example, when I was playing in New England the strong clubs had 3 clubs plus colts, but not all could fill those teams so they did things like Glen Innes were in the 1st and 3rd grade comp, and Guyra had the 2nd grade fixture on those rounds and the home games alternated between the two and they could sit on each others’ benches. They would all need to defect to the ACTRU to do it though as NSWRU and NSWSRU would just say everything is great as it is.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I too had some involvement with Penrith and it is a tough gig. It used to be a mixture of ex-league players and some rugby players both of whom enjoyed playing the game. At my time it was difficult to get players in colts and lower grades to training and even on game day, I used to drive around picking them up and taking them to any away game.
There was some serious work done there before my time but it fell away as the money dried up.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I reckon hijack the whole region if they are going to do it. They already have Penrith, Blue Mountains would probably be hardest to get on board as they won Kentwell this year, but I suspect they have been beneficiaries of Penrith playing in the ACT comp. There would be a bit of inequality between clubs but this could be worked around initially while the comp gets going and players work out which club they want to play for - for example, when I was playing in New England the strong clubs had 3 clubs plus colts, but not all could fill those teams so they did things like Glen Innes were in the 1st and 3rd grade comp, and Guyra had the 2nd grade fixture on those rounds and the home games alternated between the two and they could sit on each others’ benches. They would all need to defect to the ACTRU to do it though as NSWRU and NSWSRU would just say everything is great as it is.
I wish the ARU would just leave things alone, whatever they touch seems to turn to shit. The Brumbies are our best Super Rugby team by a long way and why would you want to close or relocate something that may struggle for money from time to time but has been consistently No1 in Australia?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
All you need to know about rugby in the west compared to league is this ..

The Emus- perennial wooden spooners, broke & kicked out of the Shute shield …

Vs

The Panthers, champs 3 years in a Row & wealthiest club in the country
There was talk of the Panthers taking over the Emu's about 15 years ago but it came to nothing.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
How have the absolute abomination that is our state entities suddenly become the good guys in some people’s minds? Have we not forgot the consistent shitness or at best averageness of our Super Rugby sides? The financial mess they have all been over 30yrs where they have either pillaged RA for money (rebels), sold assets to stay afloat (Brumbies), had their hands out for financial bail outs (basically everyone), had dodgy sponsorship deals (Force).

Then you had people like Nucifora openly state they left Australia because the states couldn’t see past own interests and align for common good.

Look RA aren’t the good guys either, but let’s not pretend the other guys aren’t equally (potentially more) at fault

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
How have the absolute abomination that is our state entities suddenly become the good guys in some people’s minds? Have we not forgot the consistent shitness or at best averageness of our Super Rugby sides? The financial mess they have all been over 30yrs where they have either pillaged Rugby Australia for money (rebels), sold assets to stay afloat (Brumbies), had their hands out for financial bail outs (basically everyone), had dodgy sponsorship deals (Force).

Then you had people like Nucifora openly state they left Australia because the states couldn’t see past own interests and align for common good.

Look Rugby Australia aren’t the good guys either, but let’s not pretend the other guys aren’t equally (potentially more) at fault
I don't think anyone sees the states as particularly good in this situation, there's just no trust for rugby Australia, at least with no detail around what their plan actually is. I think everyone believes we need big change and that some form of centralisation is the answer, but no one is to keen to take RA on faith right now, not when executing this with same degree of competence they've displayed in the past would probably be the killing blow for the game.

If they were putting that information out there I think they'd immediately have a lot more support, assuming it's not a terrible plan that is. Even if there wasn't opposition in the state setups to this I'm of the belief they should be a lot more open and transparent with this - more than anything right now they need to bring the fans on the journey with them, or else they may not get the chance to see out their vision.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Just in case there was any doubt:

That's the Reds head of communication with a pretty strong statement. And fair enough too, one of the unspoken parts of centralisation is that there will be people made redundant at the super sides. If they have been delivering in their roles and have a good argument to support that now is the time to be getting out there with it.
Honestly, Rugby has been a gravy train for far too long in this country. They were an embarrassment this year in Super Rugby