• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
If the people in Queensland administration have been delivering and say the rebels or Tahs admin not. Then isn’t the idea of centralisation to get the best people in the roles?
Ideally yes, but it's nowhere near that simple. Firstly the best person for the job (and the job requirements themselves) in Qld aren't necessarily the same as in Sydney/Canberra/Melbourne/Perth. Secondly if it was the case that the Brisbane marketing people and Perth admin people are the best option, then moving those roles to Sydney is unlikely to retain them.

I do want to be clear here that I am pro centralisation, particularly from a high performance perspective. The issue is the lack of detail from RA and the fact that they seem to be going for a wholesale style of centralisation that looks less likely to work in Australia, based on both geographic and demographic diversity in the markets. To their credit they do seem open to a more nuanced approach, but I don't fully understand why they're so keen to play hardball with the Brumbies, particularly with regard to IP and licence.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
One of things I like about centralisation, it will surely kill any suggestion of allowing ABs etc to play for Aus teams.
But main thing is if done right will help the rugby. I hope the individual states still have complete control of recruitment.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
It is quite clear why they want control, because the game here is going bust so ultimately they can control the teams and merge the Brumbies with the Rebels, as we do not have the players for 5 Super Rugby teams competing on a level with NZ teams.

And as there is no equalization of the competition there is no other option available, we will have 4 franchises soon and then 3 as the code here declines.
Centralization will never be done right here as vested self interest will prevent that from ever happening.

The financial model that underpins the game in Australia is simply unsustainable when competing with the other codes, as the game has failed to prioritize growth on a domestic level you slowly lose your fan, player & supporter base because it cannot compete with what Australians want, and the wallabies sooner or later will not be able to deliver the necessary funds or enough victories to sustain things.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
One of things I like about centralisation, it will surely kill any suggestion of allowing ABs etc to play for Aus teams.
But main thing is if done right will help the rugby. I hope the individual states still have complete control of recruitment.
Nah, completely seperate discussions, free player movement for the sake of ‘super rugby’ should be supported and centralisation should actually support this.

Wallabies in NZ and ABs in Australia should be normalised like it is in almost every other major professional sporting competition.

It broadens the marketability of players and generates interest in games that people wouldn’t otherwise give a crap about if there’s players that people have a vested interest in.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Nah, completely seperate discussions, free player movement for the sake of ‘super rugby’ should be supported and centralisation should actually support this.

Wallabies in NZ and ABs in Australia should be normalised like it is in almost every other major professional sporting competition.
Yep I wasn't sure what they talking about. I thought there was talk about some kind of coaching centralization, which is what I meant about taking ABs out of any discussion. You couldn't expect NZR tp allow their players to be in anyway involved with RA coaches and vice versa. Even if I didn't already dislike the idea that would surely kill it.
But to be honest I not absolutely sure what the centralisation model is, and how it works.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Yep I wasn't sure what they talking about. I thought there was talk about some kind of coaching centralization, which is what I meant about taking ABs out of any discussion. You couldn't expect NZR tp allow their players to be in anyway involved with Rugby Australia coaches and vice versa. Even if I didn't already dislike the idea that would surely kill it.
But to be honest I not absolutely sure what the centralisation model is, and how it works.
The same way it does in NZ. All Super teams are owned by NZ Rugby, and all people are employed by NZ Rugby

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The same way it does in NZ. All Super teams are owned by NZ Rugby, and all people are employed by NZ Rugby
Nope they not owned by NZ rugby, NZ super teams are generally owned by shareholders generally involving local unions having a big share, the players and head coach (or 1 coach who has to be a kiwi) are paid from NZR fund (that all clubs get), pretty similar to Aussie is at present.. And so as I say not sure what the centralization push is. In NZ NZR doesn't tell players etc where they go to play or anything, or select the coaches .

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Anyway it’s a moot point for this discussion, but centralisation certainly doesn’t preclude this happening In the future.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway it’s a moot point for this discussion, but centralisation certainly doesn’t preclude this happening In the future.
True mate, that was beside point, I genuinely wonder how big or what difference it will make. I certainly agree with everything that makes things better for the states etc.

The Marketing Pigeon

Herbert Moran (7)

It broadens the marketability of players and generates interest in games that people wouldn’t otherwise give a crap about if there’s players that people have a vested interest in.
How do we get this happening ASAP - would also bring big value to broadcasting rights with more interesting games and more marketable players

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Fark you'd have more faith in the centralisation model (whatever it means) if it was Hamish, Phil and Eddie driving the train.

Exactly you watch this will be the latest buzzword for saving our Rugby, everything will be solved once we have centralization, all hail the Irish model.

And every Super Rugby preponement will be bringing it out ad nauseum. that is until the next miracle fix is needed.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Fark you'd have more faith in the centralisation model (whatever it means) if it wasn't Hamish, Phil and Eddie driving the train.
If it was Cameron, Raelene and Dave people would be saying the same thing. And if it’s 3 new shiny different people, people will be saying the same thing. It does take the right people, I will concede that, but how do we know who said right people are? More importantly I would say is all the people at the franchises rolling up their sleeves and working together.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If it was Cameron, Raelene and Dave people would be saying the same thing. And if it’s 3 new shiny different people, people will be saying the same thing. It does take the right people, I will concede that, but how do we know who said right people are? More importantly I would say is all the people at the franchises rolling up their sleeves and working together.
I think we can rest assured that an old boy with no senior executive experience, a has-been cockhead and a marketer aren't the ones eh.

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fark you'd have more faith in the centralisation model (whatever it means) if it wasn't Hamish, Phil and Eddie driving the train.

Surely Ben Whittaker has to be right up there too? He's been in "High PErformance" at RA for longer than any of those and has been there over a period when bugger all performance was high.

Rudderless

Cyril Towers (30)
FYI

BE A PART OF THE CELEBRATIONS FOR THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE HISTORIC 1984 GRAND SLAM WALLABIES WHILE SUPPORTING GRASSROOTS RUGBY, AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLS RUGBY.

SAVE THE DATE : 15 MARCH 2024

AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLS RUGBY FOUNDATION ANNUAL FUNDRAISING LUNCHEON FOR 2024​

Members of the 1984 Grand Slam Wallabies are the very special guests for the Australian Schools Rugby Foundation fundraiser, celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Grand Slam winning tour.

The luncheon will be held Friday, 15 March 2024, at the magnificent Four Seasons Hotel, Sydney.
What:Annual Australian Schools Rugby Fundraising Luncheon for 2024
Special Guests:40th Anniversary of the 1984 Grand Slam Wallabies
Members of the first Australian Schoolgirls Sevens Team
Date:Friday 15 March 2024
Venue:Four Seasons Hotel, Sydney
Time:12-4pm
Bookings:Tables or individual seating

It is expected that the luncheon will be sold out. Secure your tables early.
To reserve tables in advance or add your name to an email list, contact: admin@schoolsrugby.com.au
Or Anthony Edgar: Mobile: 0432 578883 email: anthony@oneshot.sport
Online reservations will commence in December.

Lucky door prizes, raffles and direct giving options will be available.

Sponsorship options and raffle prizes options are available; please email anthony@oneshot.sport

Last edited:

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Woodward now weighing in on the Eddie debacle. I agree with him in respect of the whole "we're building for 2027" is a con and Rugby Australia have had the wool pulled over their eyes.

Was only a matter of time before EJ (Eddie Jones)'s biggest fan, Lord Bald, joined in. Thanks but no thanks Clive, we're well aware of the issues.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
You’re focusing on the minors Dan.