• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

According to Paul Cully - now due to speak to media on Tuesday.
Good to see that article end on a positive note for Australian coaching:
5. The standout Australian in the NPC

Former Reds and Western Force No.10 Brock James will contest New Zealand’s NPC final next weekend after guiding his Hawke’s Bay side to the decider with a gutsy win in Wellington on Saturday. It’s been a wild ride for James. Two weeks ago, Hawke’s Bay won the Ranfurly Shield (also against Wellington) but then broke the iconic New Zealand trophy when the players went on a bender (one player was also charged with drink-driving).

Remarkably, the Magpies rebounded from that controversy to beat both Bay of Plenty and Wellington on the road to book a place in the final against Taranaki. James has excellent halfbacks in Brad Weber and Folau Fakatava, while the Force’s Chase Tiatia has had a big season in the No.12 jersey. However, they aren’t overly stacked with Super Rugby players and James is clearly a coach on the rise.

Early days in his coaching career but I hope RA and/or the super sides are keeping an eye on and staying in touch with Brock James. Without some sort of third tier there's not a hell of a lot of opportunity for Australian coaches coming up at that level below super, certainly not enough that we can ignore the ones doing well elsewhere.

Wouldn't mind finding a way to get some of our super coaches more experience over there same as we do with players, at least while we've got little else going on in that period - e.g. see if we can get guys like Rod Seib or Mick Heenan a spot as an assistant with one of the NPC sides for a season or two. Maybe even run it as an exchange program with one of the NPC side's coaches coming over for a stint during the super season. We should probably be doing more of this via our Japanese partnerships too.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Good to see that article end on a positive note for Australian coaching:

Early days in his coaching career but I hope Rugby Australia and/or the super sides are keeping an eye on and staying in touch with Brock James. Without some sort of third tier there's not a hell of a lot of opportunity for Australian coaches coming up at that level below super, certainly not enough that we can ignore the ones doing well elsewhere.

Wouldn't mind finding a way to get some of our super coaches more experience over there same as we do with players, at least while we've got little else going on in that period - e.g. see if we can get guys like Rod Seib or Mick Heenan a spot as an assistant with one of the NPC sides for a season or two. Maybe even run it as an exchange program with one of the NPC side's coaches coming over for a stint during the super season. We should probably be doing more of this via our Japanese partnerships too.
Of what we know of the high-performance alignment being proposed, has there been any mention of coaching pathways? It's no use aiming for 'the right people in the right roles' if there's no way to get them there.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Theres just something about him thats irritating, but bloody good at his job though
I think - what’s the point in writing the article then? What purpose does it serve? Only a negative for rugby / wallabies.
Hardly proven and Eddie is denying it so just comes off as cynical journalism “I want a headline”

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think - what’s the point in writing the article then? What purpose does it serve? Only a negative for rugby / wallabies.
Hardly proven and Eddie is denying it so just comes off as cynical journalism “I want a headline”
Welcome to modern journalism though haha, especially in Sports. The one thing Eddie does that I will always back him in for is how he gives it back to the press. They are perfectly happy to dish it out to him, but can't take it the moment it comes back their way. For mine, he treats them the way they treat him - with disrespect. The RWC campaign has been really poor, no doubt, and criticism of that ilk is fair. But many (especially looking at Fairfax media here) have been sharpening their knives well before that. It was the same when he was at England - his coaching from 2015-2019 was objectively very good and the English press pack would always talk him down.

Their are some good eggs for sure - I don't mind Doran, Nick Bishop. But it always irks me how little rugby journos in particular attempt to educate themselves on the modern game. They only deal in hackneyed cliches and default to the easiest narrative to write. Professional rugby is a completely different world to what us fans understand, the game has come a long, long way. But the vast majority still write about the sport like its 1994. If I wanted a fans perspective, I'd come to this forum.

They also never, ever admit when they are wrong. We've probably all read countless articles about how useless Foster is, and how the worst England team ever were headed for a pools exit under Borthwick. Bet ya bottom dollar the authors of those stories won't be putting their hand up and admitting they didn't have a clue.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Welcome to modern journalism though haha, especially in Sports. The one thing Eddie does that I will always back him in for is how he gives it back to the press. They are perfectly happy to dish it out to him, but can't take it the moment it comes back their way. For mine, he treats them the way they treat him - with disrespect. The RWC campaign has been really poor, no doubt, and criticism of that ilk is fair. But many (especially looking at Fairfax media here) have been sharpening their knives well before that. It was the same when he was at England - his coaching from 2015-2019 was objectively very good and the English press pack would always talk him down.

Their are some good eggs for sure - I don't mind Doran, Nick Bishop. But it always irks me how little rugby journos in particular attempt to educate themselves on the modern game. They only deal in hackneyed cliches and default to the easiest narrative to write. Professional rugby is a completely different world to what us fans understand, the game has come a long, long way. But the vast majority still write about the sport like its 1994. If I wanted a fans perspective, I'd come to this forum.

They also never, ever admit when they are wrong. We've probably all read countless articles about how useless Foster is, and how the worst England team ever were headed for a pools exit under Borthwick. Bet ya bottom dollar the authors of those stories won't be putting their hand up and admitting they didn't have a clue.
The press have been pretty much fine. What have they done that they shouldn't have? The gall of the press to inquire about Eddie Jones fucking insanity and incompetence eh. How dare they.

There are, what, two dedicated rugby journos left in the country? Not sure what level of insight and analysis you are expecting.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Er, no it doesn't...

There's been multiple sources in Japan and Australia that have confirmed the story to various journalists since Decent broke the news.

And Eddie hasn't actually dismissed the story outright... he's being very careful with his wording.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Er, no it doesn't...

There's been multiple sources in Japan and Australia that have confirmed the story to various journalists since Decent broke the story.

And Eddie hasn't actually dismissed the story outright... he's being very careful with his wording.
Could just be a Japan negotiation thing keeping in mind face is a big deal for them. We can discuss a future contract but you can't discuss that we are discussing it.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Of what we know of the high-performance alignment being proposed, has there been any mention of coaching pathways? It's no use aiming for 'the right people in the right roles' if there's no way to get them there.
Not really, or at least not beyond RA having a much greater hand in appointments, which is something that has already been in place on an ad hoc basis. Like everything else around RA's proposed model there is an almost complete lack of detail, at least in the public sphere.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
His job is to break the story
It’s not a story. It’s hearsay headline.
A story is jaoan approached Eddie because of abc and this was the convo and here’s where it sits.
I’m not unaware of modern journalism standard etc but it was just rumor mill.
And the follow up stories have hardly confirmed anything - they have said the same things over again

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Perhaps the Journo's should write about RA and Eddie Jones attacking a Rugby Spectator for correctly labeling Jones for what he is; a traitor to Australian Rugby? Are either of those two going to have a "mea culpa" moment?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A story is jaoan approached Eddie because of abc and this was the convo and here’s where it sits.
And the follow up stories have hardly confirmed anything - they have said the same things over again

That's just a bonkers take...

Of course it's a story... it's a massive story.

And it's already been discussed ad nauseum, but Tom Decent would not have published that piece without backing up his sources - and since then the story has only grown with further confirmation from additional sources towards other journalists, and Eddie not exactly dismissing it outright.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
That's just a bonkers take...

Of course it's a story... it's a massive story.

And it's already been discussed ad nauseum, but Tom Decent would not have published that piece without backing up his sources - and since then the story has only grown with further confirmation from additional sources towards other journalists, and Eddie not exactly dismissing it outright.
Maybe I just hate journos these days

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

What?

he broke the original story of the zoom meeting

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Let's not forget the ABC reported this on Friday:

Jones will be one of three candidates to meet with a Japanese selection panel after round one interviews were conducted online.

As reported during the Rugby World Cup, Jones did a Zoom interview in August, just days before the Wallabies played their final warm-up game against France.

Jones, who coached Japan from 2012 to 2015, denied he did the interview, but the ABC can confirm it did take place.