• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Interesting when he's been posed questions about being on the same page as RA and Hamish you get a "I hope so". When asked other questions even re Japan he is giving "No, Yes" answers.

Eddie has definitely taken a lot of blow back for HMac. Eddie deserves it but so does Hamish.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Maybe. If we are to take him for his word he has said no to anything re Japan. It is up to the fan to continue the speculation. Might be naïve of me but I hope we can let it go for the sake of hoping it lets RA and the Wallabies actually move forward instead of talking about who will guide the Brave Blossoms and maybe we find our coaching team.

If he does take up a job in the next 6 months he truly is the dog/traitor some people think of him as.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The thing is if he did interview for the Japan job, and there seems to be a lot of people who believe with certainty he did, he can't really say anything until the JRFU make an announcement later in the year...

Until then it's been conducted by a third party, and the JRFU will not even comment on the applicants until the appointment is made.

But ultimately there was no chance he was going to resign today and leave himself without a job.

Last edited:

Slayer!

Allen Oxlade (6)
So if "centralisation" - sorry, "alignment" ("don't put words in my mouth mate...") is the answer, and Ireland is the model...
Well, Ireland didn't make the quarters (yep, valiant performance, top team etc, but all anyone remembers in 2027 is that they've never made a semi...).

Out of the four teams now in the quarters:

NZ - Super Rugby focus, pretty much the same as Australia in terms of current national "alignment" (better players, sure, and a third tier in NPC - which has its own financial issues, but more game time). Also the coach was told he would be replaced after the World Cup...So Dave Rennie without the actual sacking.

South Africa - Most players (anyone have a percentage?) playing in the Northern Hemisphere comp (more game time, but essentially a blend of no Giteau law and Super Rugby)

Argentina. Again, a lot of players from the European comp. More importantly, coaching stability through the guy we sacked before we sacked Dave Rennie.

England. Sacked Eddie Jones and have now made the semis.

A few lessons there for us. (1) Super Rugby works in terms of preparing players (NZ and Fiji). (2) more game time is essential. (3) coaching stability is a pretty good thing to have, and (4) maybe don't let Eddie Jones anywhere near your team.

Tell me again why we need centralisation. Sorry, putting words in Eddie's mouth again. Why do we need "alignment"?

Tell me why the Super Rugby franchises should be told what to do by a national organisation that on the field has failed every. single. KPI.

And off the field has bled the Brumbies, NSW and Rebels dry so they can mount a clumsy hostile takeover?

What's the upside here for the State Unions (who, don't forget, are constitutionally and therefore legally obliged to act in the best interests of their State UNION, not the national game)...

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
And our system didn't even achieve the opportunity to be knocked out in a QF...

You can't deny what the Irish & French have built. Look at the recent U20s results as well as the strength of their Club sides in European competition. Ireland has won a series v NZ and been ranked no.1 in the world along with a 17 match win streak.

Of course NZ & SA are doing well. It's their sport with abundant talent and coaching. Not making a Semi would be devastating. Argies do well consistently because they play to their strengths. They also got a sweet run tbf and one we could have had if we could stop stepping on rakes.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
And our system didn't even achieve the opportunity to be knocked out in a QF...

You can't deny what the Irish & French have built. Look at the recent U20s results as well as the strength of their Club sides in European competition. Ireland has won a series v NZ and been ranked no.1 in the world along with a 17 match win streak.

Of course NZ & SA are doing well. It's their sport with abundant talent and coaching. Not making a Semi would be devastating. Argies do well consistently because they play to their strengths. They also got a sweet run tbf and one we could have had if we could stop stepping on rakes.
simpsons-sideshow-bob.gif

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Bill Watson (15)
After conducting some research on rugby-playing schools around New South Wales, it doesn't appear to be as dire as people often claim.

However, the crucial aspect is to draw attention and raise awareness about these schools and channel their potential into a force for a statewide competition. Regarding the current Waratah Shield, there seems to be a lack of information about the early rounds of the competition. How are we supposed to overcome the private school stigma if it's not advertised?

Furthermore, there are numerous smaller private schools and public high schools on the Northern Beaches participating in lesser-known rugby competitions.

It's perplexing to me how the Western Force Schools' competition manages to gain more publicity than the current Waratah Shield. Many schools in rural areas still field rugby union teams, and the Central Coast region is particularly strong in this regard.

I plan to delve deeper into this topic later, but what are people's thoughts? We need to promote these schools across all channels. I'll outline how this should be accomplished in the near future.

I'm also confident that with some support from the Waratahs, some of those all-boys Catholic schools can be encouraged to participate in the Waratah Shield. What do you think about this idea?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
After conducting some research on rugby-playing schools around New South Wales, it doesn't appear to be as dire as people often claim.

However, the crucial aspect is to draw attention and raise awareness about these schools and channel their potential into a force for a statewide competition. Regarding the current Waratah Shield, there seems to be a lack of information about the early rounds of the competition. How are we supposed to overcome the private school stigma if it's not advertised?

Furthermore, there are numerous smaller private schools and public high schools on the Northern Beaches participating in lesser-known rugby competitions.

It's perplexing to me how the Western Force Schools' competition manages to gain more publicity than the current Waratah Shield. Many schools in rural areas still field rugby union teams, and the Central Coast region is particularly strong in this regard.

I plan to delve deeper into this topic later, but what are people's thoughts? We need to promote these schools across all channels. I'll outline how this should be accomplished in the near future.

I'm also confident that with some support from the Waratahs, some of those all-boys Catholic schools can be encouraged to participate in the Waratah Shield. What do you think about this idea?
I look fwd to the results of your research. I remember a guy NSW employed to get more schools playing rugby in Western Sydney and he was very successful, a few years after NSW pulled the pin and we started losing schools in the west to AFL and RL.
I would like to see all schools brought into a promotion-relegation competition where government schools can end up playing the private schools in a few years.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Rugby's need to get us back on track is the same as last weekend's referendum. We need action now, not promises and committees and the actions that appear necessary are:
ID and hold rugby union players in schools
Ensure that the clubs are an extra feeder for Super Rugby
Expand the number of schools playing rugby and provide assistance to them
Ensure all the basics of passing/catching, tackling, scrummaging, lineout and breakdown are taught in schools and clubs.
ID young talent in athletics, AFL, failed Rugby League youngsters and Basketball to provide an additional talent supply.

If you think of anything else please add to this list.

I look fwd to the results of your research. I remember a guy NSW employed to get more schools playing rugby in Western Sydney and he was very successful, a few years after NSW pulled the pin and we started losing schools in the west to AFL and Rugby League.
I would like to see all schools brought into a promotion-relegation competition where government schools can end up playing the private schools in a few years.
The constant narrative about getting rugby into public/ state schools to counter league is kind of irrelevant.

Your average local public school, isn’t producing a abundance of talent for the NRL in 2023

The best, public league schools are nearly all “Sport Highs” aka (selective sports schools ) with better funding and facilities … and guess what ? .. they already offer union too …

What you don’t hear much is the majority of top league schools has always been in the catholic system, (therefore not public) … this is where league has dominated, hardly any offer union (apart from Greg’s )

Reality is junior league strength isn’t in school sport at all, rather its in junior club and pathway programs … league plays its schools games mid week which frees up the weekend for club games .

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Theory for all you hating Tom Decent.

Eddie did interview with Japan, he was going to leave. Decent broke the news on that fateful day for maximum clicks which incensed Eddie so much that he's backflipped just to prove Decent wrong.

So really, Tom did the decent thing for Aus rugby.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Bill Watson (15)
The constant narrative about getting rugby into public/ state schools to counter league is kind of irrelevant.

Your average local public school, isn’t producing a abundance of talent for the NRL in 2023

The best, public league schools are nearly all “Sport Highs” aka (selective sports schools ) with better funding and facilities … and guess what ? .. they already offer union too …

What you don’t hear much is the majority of top league schools has always been in the catholic system, (therefore not public) … this is where league has dominated, hardly any offer union (couple of them have just started eg gregs )

Reality is junior league strength isn’t in school sport at all, rather its in junior club and pathway programs … league plays its schools games mid week which frees up the weekend for club games .
I still believe creating a proper rugby comp with these schools is imperative for the game.

Some of the rhetoric online ive been seeing around the wallabies, people saying they don't care about it cause its a private school game. Or even some people taking glee in the wallabies woes cause its "a game for toffs" etc.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

What you don’t hear much is the majority of top league schools has always been in the catholic system, (therefore not public) … this is where league has dominated, hardly any offer union (couple of them have just started eg gregs )

Greg's started playing Rugby 20 years ago. I know. I played in the very first 1st XV.

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The thing is if he did interview for the Japan job, and there seems to be a lot of people who believe with certainty he did, he can't really say anything until the JRFU make an announcement later in the year...

Until then it's been conducted by a third party, and the JRFU will not even comment on the applicants until the appointment is made.

But ultimately there was no chance he was going to resign today and leave himself without a job.
What else can he say? He literally said he didn't interview, and no third party did for him. His been asked and answered. If you just going to say his full of shit, why are we so hell-bent on asking him the questions.

This is just in general, as I said earlier I thought he would be here at least another year, if he loses all the RC / Bled and Wales tests then his going to be booted or quit.

@Slim 293 wasn't really aimed at you just in general

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What else can he say? He literally said he didn't interview, and no third party did for him. His been asked and answered. If you just going to say his full of shit, why are we so hell-bent on asking him the questions.

This is just in general, as I said earlier I thought he would be here at least another year, if he loses all the RC / Bled and Wales tests then his going to be booted or quit.

@Slim 293 wasn't really aimed at you just in general

Despite multiple well sourced reports that Jones indeed had a Zoom interview to replace Jamie Joseph, the coach continued to deny.

It wasn't always convincing.

"Not that I'm aware of," Jones replied when asked if he had spoken to third parties (recruitment agencies or executive search parties) about the Japan job.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
It's perplexing to me how the Western Force Schools' competition manages to gain more publicity than the current Waratah Shield.

Western Force\RugbyWA\Tattarang owns the comp and promote it. You don't see Western Force promoting our "premier" (according to them) school comp run by the PSA (top private schools in Perth).

Our PSA schools refuse to play Arranmore who win the Western Force Cup because they don't want to lose