• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The other alternative is that those with actual power over the system (in particular, NSWRU, QRU and ACT Rugby) could stop hiding behind the line they are "protecting the community game" which they are not. They could cede control over the game voluntarily as they control the governance structure and work together rather than against each other to help build a new professional competition, one they don't run and control the growth of. I'm sure this will attract a reply like "well why would they do that, its not in their interest" - yep, that's exactly the point and why its so frustrating, all they do is act in their own interest and not as custodians of the game we all love.

The community game is protecting the community game, the deliverance of consecutive losses or sub six-figure small profits which blow with the wind aren't exactly doing much for your local rugby club. Further, every year professional rugby in this country continues its terminal decline is another year of lowered participation amongst youths - which is what the eventual death of the game will be a result of.

But nup, who books the profits from taxpayer funded Ballymore is more important than any of that, play on, love that Brett Clark and Matt Nobbs gave it large ones to the dogs at RA and Hammer the dickhead, woohoo.

Full circle.

The amount of effort that RA and HM put in to bring everyone on board was somewhere between nominal and non-existent. The State RUs would hardly be acting in the interests of rugby within their remit by agreeing to inchoate and poorly (at best) presented plans for change. Showing any trust in RA following shrink-to-greatness and their more recent "performance" in the lead up to the RWC would be a complete break in the RUs' fiducial responsibilities. That fact that HM thought that he aught simply and blithely continue just sheets home the reaction from the unions.

I'd suggest that the stomach for change in the RUs is pretty high, actually. Their stomach for latest mad scheme Hamish has with his next brain-fart - well not so much.

There is a process for change, any even half-witted Chair should be aware that they wont be going anywhere without the voting members on board.

The issue is not at all getting rid of Hamish, it is what the RA does now. No doubt gaining support will be harder, so the need to get cracking.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's absolutely fine that the QRU doesn't want to cede control of Ballymore which is a real asset they own.

I disagree that they can reasonably stand in the way of centralisation of the high performance side of the game regardless of whether or not they feel like the plan hasn't been well enough explained.

The game is at a crossroads and each state is entirely reliant on financing by RA to be able to run their professional team. There's no option but to sign on because they are immediately insolvent if RA doesn't distribute money to them.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's absolutely fine that the QRU doesn't want to cede control of Ballymore which is a real asset they own.

I disagree that they can reasonably stand in the way of centralisation of the high performance side of the game regardless of whether or not they feel like the plan hasn't been well enough explained.

The game is at a crossroads and each state is entirely reliant on financing by RA to be able to run their professional team. There's no option but to sign on because they are immediately insolvent if RA doesn't distribute money to them.
They won't. Was listening to BRett Clark and Les Kiss yesterday. And they are still supportive of it. They probably think it shouldn't be called centralisation but rather collaboration or integration, which seems to make sense.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
There’s a good article in the age about aus rugby governance structure being terrible and filled with too many people with “rugby iq” which is meaningless at board level if they can’t govern.

I think super can get fixed by conferences that enable as said above - a home and away season with aus teams that creates and fosters rivalries and single games against nz teams.
More teams into finals with wild cards to add more intrigue.

the alternative is a domestic comp that will be two steps back for maybe eventual steps forward
This would involve building off the best club teams in my mind. You’d have like 5 nsw teams, 4 qld teams, an act team a melb and a Perth team. Salaries would be lower. We’d lose teams to nrl but maybe that club has intrigue. I think Perth would not survive this without funding from twiggy.
Probably a semi pro competition but you need at least 10 teams to run a comp.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Everything is turning to shit but lets stick with the one thing that has pretty much been part of that slow decline for 25 years.

Why not try something new, Super Rugby hasn't worked for god knows how long, what exactly do we have to lose anymore.
For a start, RA has apparently committed, and maybe signed some form of agreement with NZRU, to a Super Rugby competition through to 2031. Loss of face and of reputation is initially at stake.

Worse, perhaps, if RA withdraw from that agreement, NZRU just might be able to mount a case for compensation, based on revenue foregone through the curtailment of said competition. If RA has financial troubles now, and judgement against them would likely be the last nail in the coffin of professional rugby in this country.

I am not now an avid fan of Super Rugby. I think SRAu during Covid thoroughly illustrated how a domestic competition could be run. But I think it is foolishness to suggest we can walk away from Super Rugby Pacifica anytime before 2031. I think we have to make the most of what we can out of Super Rugby until then and in the meantime enter real and constructive discussions with all stakeholders including the Super Rugby franchises to develop a new way folrward from then.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Ya there’s a few adjustments the game needs to be more appealing while still being rugby. Has nothing to do with aus struggling to me as I see same annoying things in other teams games. The games at the cup with high ball
In play were sensational and they need more of that.
Some will say but nfl is stop start and limited ball in play - yes but it is 90% action.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
For a start, RA has apparently committed, and maybe signed some form of agreement with NZRU, to a Super Rugby competition through to 2031. Loss of face and of reputation is initially at stake.

Worse, perhaps, if RA withdraw from that agreement, NZRU just might be able to mount a case for compensation, based on revenue foregone through the curtailment of said competition. If RA has financial troubles now, and judgement against them would likely be the last nail in the coffin of professional rugby in this country.

I am not now an avid fan of Super Rugby. I think SRAu during Covid thoroughly illustrated how a domestic competition could be run. But I think it is foolishness to suggest we can walk away from Super Rugby Pacifica anytime before 2031. I think we have to make the most of what we can out of Super Rugby until then and in the meantime enter real and constructive discussions with all stakeholders including the Super Rugby franchises to develop a new way folrward from then.
I agree
Ideally we can all reformat it to make it a better profuct
End of the day I think a reformed super is the best option. If the playing depth and money improve then you could look at a domestic comp but that’s 20 years from now I reckon all going well.
Super is 70% fixed by better Aussie teams competing week in week out and winning

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)

The question has to be asked why the RA signed up to a competition until 2031 that has been pretty much an abject failure for the last 20 years, and it is hard to see how much further loss of face this would cause the RA, we're not talking about an organization that has a lot of reputation to lose. Always back self Interest.

I doubt the NZRU would go this far, even with a domestic comp they would still need Australia in some form of competition, and sue for what the last $50 in the piggy jar.

I agree we should start planning, but we should've been doing that for the last 20 years. Go ahead RA grow some balls and make a commitment, go domestic from 2031 and start planning, but again will self interest come to the front.

Super Rugby is a failed product, that is not speculation, that is a fact, whether we like it or not.

But those involved with that competition are all still doing okay even as the ship is sinking, who is going to make that bold decision to go domestic, or will we quietly sign up for another few more years.

Last edited:

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I agree
Ideally we can all reformat it to make it a better profuct
End of the day I think a reformed super is the best option. If the playing depth and money improve then you could look at a domestic comp but that’s 20 years from now I reckon all going well.
Super is 70% fixed by better Aussie teams competing week in week out and winning
So how do you fix that 70% with less players, less fans, Less supporters, less money, less tribalism, less viewers, less TV rights.

That 70% becomes just another Wishlist.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Has this been reported here yet? Sorry if so

Rugby Australia (RA) has today announced the successful conclusion of its capital raise programme with its entry into an agreement with Pacific Equity Partners (PEP) that will underpin investment across the game of Rugby.

Following a comprehensive assessment of alternative capital-raising options, RA management and the Board, with the support of financial advisor Jefferies Australia, concluded that refinancing and an increase to its credit facility on more attractive terms was in the best interests of all stakeholders.

With the revenues expected from the British & Irish Lions Tour in 2025 and home Rugby World Cups in 2027 and 2029, this new upsized and flexible $80m credit facility on a five-year term, will bridge the period through those events, allowing RA to accelerate its key growth initiatives.

The additional investment will go to critical areas of the game’s development, with high-performance integration, Women’s Rugby, Community and Pathways being areas of focus.

PEP is an Australian-based private capital partner that understands the importance of Rugby in Australia, and the potential for growth in the coming years. It is one of the largest and most active private market investors in Australia with approximately $8 billion in assets under management.

RA CEO Phil Waugh believes pursuing a debt capital path was the right decision for Rugby in Australia and notes this injection will help set the game up for the future.

“RA has been assessing various capital raise alternatives with Jefferies Australia for more than a year,” he said.

“Given the visibility we have on revenues from the British and Irish Lions and World Cups, it became clear that debt capital was going to be the best solution for Rugby.

“This does not compromise RA’s options down the road, which could include private equity investment.

“This approach ensures that we retain 100% of the commercial revenues from the game, that all capital raised will go into the game, and that RA controls its own direction during this next period of growth and development.

“We plan to invest in the critical areas needed to grow the game - we have identified high-performance integration, Women’s Rugby, Community and Pathways as critical areas to focus on, and I believe investment in these areas will give us the opportunity to capitalise on the exciting major events on the horizon.

“In PEP, we have selected a partner committed to helping us on this path – they are likewise excited about this next chapter for Rugby in Australia and support our vision and plan. They bring deep experience across different sectors, and investment types, including private equity and debt, and we look forward to working with them.

“I would also like to recognise the professionalism of the PEP team throughout this process. I believe together we have achieved a very positive result for the game.”

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
Thats a huge loan, has to paid by the end of the world cup, together with other borrowings.

Interest rates going to remain high as well for that time period.

Lucky Hamish is gone.

One of PEPS commitments to their investors is:

PEP takes environmental, social and governance factors into account throughout its investment activities and supports the efforts of our industry to promote the highest standards for ethical investing and improved transparency.

Not sure how hands off they are going to be!!!