• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A couple of quick observations on the annual report:

We have an interest bearing loan of $24.6m that is incurring interest at somewhere just over 10.5%. That's expensive! It's due to be paid back by March 2027.

The 5.5m pounds we received from World Rugby has decreased in value by more than $1.8m due to the collapse of the pound. Good news! We repay this against our Rugby World Cup distribution this year.

Cashflow will definitely be tight this year given we will get far less from the Rugby World Cup than we ordinarily would plus have the standard RWC issue of not hosting many games this year.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
Rugby Australia has announced a surplus of $8.2 million after a deficit of $4.5 million last year. Hamish & Andy (hah) have been killing it.
A good headline result, with a great deal thanks to Twiggy Forrest giving RA a largely free carried team in super rugby and allowing them to get an extra 25% broadcast revenue for having that extra team in the comp.
Not worth a mention in any of the media, or any extra assistance for the Force or rugby in WA though it seems.

A good result nonetheless, and great that it seems inflated overhead costs are being reduced.

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A good headline result, with a great deal thanks to Twiggy Forrest giving Rugby Australia a largely free carried team in super rugby and allowing them to get an extra 25% broadcast revenue for having that extra team in the comp.
Not worth a mention in any of the media, or any extra assistance for the Force or rugby in WA though it seems.

A good result nonetheless, and great that it seems inflated overhead costs are being reduced.

An extra 25% in broadcast revenue?

I must say, without looking into it…

I’m skeptical about this claim.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
A good headline result, with a great deal thanks to Twiggy Forrest giving Rugby Australia a largely free carried team in super rugby and allowing them to get an extra 25% broadcast revenue for having that extra team in the comp.

‘Free carried team’?

Sea of Blue received $4.7million in funding, up from $3.5 in 2021. All Super Rugby teams received between $4.7 and $4.9million in grants In 2022.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
‘Free carried team’?

Sea of Blue received $4.7million in funding, up from $3.5 in 2021. All Super Rugby teams received between $4.7 and $4.9million in grants In 2022.
Yep pretty sure the only season they didn’t receive a grant was the 2020 re-inclusion season

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sadly RugbyWa's support from RAu was still only $251k or $14k more than Sth Australia.
A bit tragic for the State that had the 3rd largest participation behind Qld ($1.161M) & NSW ($1.481M).
Stll also behind VRU ($377K) and ACT & Sthn NSW ($334k).

andrewM

Herbert Moran (7)
Sadly RugbyWa's support from RAu was still only $251k or $14k more than Sth Australia.
A bit tragic for the State that had the 3rd largest participation behind Qld ($1.161M) & NSW ($1.481M).
Stll also behind VRU ($377K) and ACT & Sthn NSW ($334k).
This has been going on since at least 2015 from memory..How the Hell can RA justify granting significantly less than Victoria who not only have fewer players, but they are contained in a nice little geographical area?

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Rugby bosses say $8.2m profit won’t be blown on poaching NRL talent

Probably a good little snippet from HM here:

Weeks after luring Joseph Sua'ali'i over to rugby on a three-year deal, starting at the end of 2024, McLennan has made no secret of his desire to sign more league players with a rugby pedigree to represent the Wallabies.

However, McLennan said the term “raid” was a little over the top and has made it clear that money would not be thrown aimlessly at league stars.
“I wouldn’t overstate what happens with the money but there are a lot of league players that have reached out to us,” McLennan said.

“There’s not going to be 20 players we poach or try and bring back. The ones we’ve talked about have played union during their high school years and we think there is a role for them here in our game. Our primary goal is to look after the guys we have at the moment.

Good to see that at least there's that public comment on trying to retain current players.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah it comes at a time when there is a report that Hamish has officially contacted Payne Hass. Anyone else concerned about why our Chairman is doing player recruitment?
Who does it normally out of interest? Is it Andy? Eddie? Do we have like a Wallabies Cordingley?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah it comes at a time when there is a report that Hamish has officially contacted Payne Hass. Anyone else concerned about why our Chairman is doing player recruitment?

I can't see Haas leaving. I don't have an issue with him being recruited but I think all it's doing is making the Bronco's wallet lighter.

The single most influential forward in the NRL at the moment, if anything, V'landys himself will throw some cash into the deal to make sure he stays.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
I can't see Haas leaving. I don't have an issue with him being recruited but I think all it's doing is making the Bronco's wallet lighter.

The single most influential forward in the NRL at the moment, if anything, V'landys himself will throw some cash into the deal to make sure he stays.

Yep and at the rumoured $1.5mil/season it would be a monumental waste considering our current 8 stocks - Valeteni, Wilson, Gleeson, and now Naisarani back in the fold. He's not Wallaby eligible but even Melbourne look to have locked up their long term 8 in Ekuasi.

Hopefully it's just
1) McLennan trying to keep Rugby in the headlines
2) Haas and his management playing along to pump up the $$$ figure

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Anyone else concerned about why our Chairman is doing player recruitment?

It's a pretty big issue in my view. McLennan has certainly achieved a fair amount and was obviously instrumental in securing Eddie Jones but it also heavily undermines the organisation below him.

You're already reliant on a big attraction to work at RA being a passion for rugby to attract decent talent because you aren't paying as much as those same people can earn elsewhere. You employ people to do certain roles and then undermine them by making executive decisions over the top.