• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting response from Vlandys with suggestions of salary cap dispensation for clubs signing rugby players

ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys (the horse racing guy) (the horse racing guy) wants NRL clubs to actively target Wallabies stars – and they will be given a financial incentive to do so.
V’landys (the horse racing guy) (the horse racing guy) has revealed an audacious cut-price Wallaby plan to counter Rugby Australia’s intentions to chase the best players in rugby league.
“We have been looking at bringing in salary cap exemptions for players from other countries for some time,” V’landys (the horse racing guy) (the horse racing guy) said. “It was about bringing in players from America and other nations. It would also apply to players from other sports. And, yes, other sports includes rugby."
I would suggest its not about players, its more about stripping out the RA player base and about RA financially which they could do. I fear someone in RA has picked a dumd fight we can't win.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Nah, the concept by PVL has been widely criticised, if anything it's going to incentivise players to swap to union knowing they can be offered salary cap dispensation if they swap back to NRL later.

PVL is just giving rugby union free airtime and publicity in the year they're trying to market PE and sort longer term broadcast rights lol

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can you imagine the Roosters and Broncos (who are regularly accused of rorting the cap) signing a star that doesn't apply to the cap? There would be massive outrage.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Can you imagine the Roosters and Broncos (who are regularly accused of rorting the cap) signing a star that doesn't apply to the cap? There would be massive outrage.
Now they can do it without the accusations! Maybe they can call it the Jorgenson Law.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I’d love to see the internal shit storm it would create if they did start signing/negotiating with Rugby players with salary cap dispensations and none of them want to live in Newcastle, Wollongong and Townsville and they all only talk to the Roosters and Broncos.

Let the Pony man talk. I do get if they want 20 teams eventually they need to find 90 more players

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Who said that RugbyAu wasn't Waratahs centric?
But it does show the potential benefit of bonus points in the final countdown.
Well done Brumbies for standing tall for Aussie rugby.

Attachments

• SANZAR.jpg
    SANZAR.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 110
  • RAu.jpg
    RAu.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
After competition pointe the tie-breaker is the team with the most wins, only after that does the +/- comes into it.

the SANZAAR table is correct, Rugby AU’s table is incorrect
The actual position numbers are correct in the Rugby AU table, they've just listed 10 before 8 and 9 for some reason... weekend intern?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Koroibete (202 votes) edged out Rob Valetini (170 votes) and Allan Ala'alatoa (168 votes) to be presented the medal by Wallabies General Manager Chris Webb in Japan on Monday morning. It was his second John Eales Medal win.

The medal is voted on by the players and Koroibete’s performances in each of the first nine Tests of the season saw him establish such a lead in the voting that he could not be caught despite missing the end of year tour to Europe and the UK.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
He would've smashed it in the Bok tests...
it and Mapimpi

How does it work? Every player in the 23 getting 1 vote each seems too few. Every player getting 3, 2, 1 votes seems too many.

Is it every Wallaby in the squad? so like ~40 players x 14 games x 1 vote = 560 votes?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
A little bit unfair on Valetini given he played the entire season, I know that's not how the voting works and Koroibete was special during the TRC and England series and earned it, but the Spring Tour was a hard slog for those who toured.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How does it work? Every player in the 23 getting 1 vote each seems too few. Every player getting 3, 2, 1 votes seems too many.

Is it every Wallaby in the squad? so like ~40 players x 14 games x 1 vote = 560 votes?

I have always understood it to be all players in the 23 voting on a 3-2-1 basis.