• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Payne Haas comes with too much off-field baggage

And the bloke who is the likely our 1st choice flyhalf for the RWC isn’t exactly squeaky clean either.

I know what you are talking about, but Haas is also young and hopefully has learnt his lesson. His behaviour is no worse than a number of key current generation Wallabies were at a similar age.

And you can’t blame him for any of the other family stuff.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They said he has a rugby background? What is that?

He’s an unreal athlete in terms of size/power and engine.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
They said he has a rugby background? What is that?

He’s an unreal athlete in terms of size/power and engine.
Apparently played when the family lived in Newcastle. Junior Gold stuff. Somethings better than nothing…

I actually support this more than Nelson. Something about RA going after a guy that has always been proud to play for NZ at every opportunity in League does bother me. I know you could say Sua'ali'i played for Samoa but he had a path blocked for FB and it doesn’t cost him any future Aus selection.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
And the bloke who is the likely our 1st choice flyhalf for the RWC isn’t exactly squeaky clean either.

I know what you are talking about, but Haas is also young and hopefully has learnt his lesson. His behaviour is no worse than a number of key current generation Wallabies were at a similar age.

And you can’t blame him for any of the other family stuff.

There’s been a few incidents now that Haas has been involved in, a couple which made the media, some others that didn’t.

Not blaming his for what his family did, but the fact his mother is up for 3 counts of manslaughter after killing people whilst drink driving, can be an unwanted disruption when it comes to sponsorship and corporate support.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Nelson will be 31 for the 2027 RWC, with some of his injuries and high impact play, I’m not sure he will still be standing/playing at a high level by then

Haas is nearly 4 years younger than Nelson, would be absolutely peaking in 2027 if he had a few seasons of rugby already under his belt.

Haas doesnt have the rugby background/IQ of nelson. I dont think Haas could reach the level NAS could, he is one that slipped through the ab's net

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Haas is 10x the league player NAS is though.

Yep, not many ball carriers in league able to make 10m from a standing start and keep their feet for a quick play the ball.

It’s actually that particular skill set that I think makes him beneficial to rugby, it’s ingrained in him to pump the legs and go through the contact and he’s got the size to still manoeuvre his body. Would be great for short runs one or two wide off a ruck close to the line. Similar to Taniela but bigger frame makes him even more dangerous.

He could legitimately be our next Toutai Kefu if he was able to translate his game to rugby.

Regardless of what comes from it - rugby is getting a lot of the league airtime at the moment. Read some more stuff today about Sua'ali'i going to rugby and whether he should be picked for origin, great stuff.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
There’s been a few incidents now that Haas has been involved in, a couple which made the media, some others that didn’t.

Not blaming his for what his family did, but the fact his mother is up for 3 counts of manslaughter after killing people whilst drink driving, can be an unwanted disruption when it comes to sponsorship and corporate support.

The court stuff with his mum isn’t stopping any sponsorship or Corp dollars for the Bronco’s, who arguable have a much wider reach and public presence at the moment than anything Haas would have if he came to rugby.

And I could tell you a dozen things James O’Connor has done since he came back to Brisbane that didn’t make the media. His team is aware as well. Doesn’t stop him being selected.

My point is, I don’t think anything Payne has done to date should be the deciding factor on any future he might have in rugby. That’s just my opinion and I’m happy to agree to disagree if you believe otherwise.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The court stuff with his mum isn’t stopping any sponsorship or Corp dollars for the Bronco’s, who arguable have a much wider reach and public presence at the moment than anything Haas would have if he came to rugby.

And I could tell you a dozen things James O’Connor has done since he came back to Brisbane that didn’t make the media. His team is aware as well. Doesn’t stop him being selected.

My point is, I don’t think anything Payne has done to date should be the deciding factor on any future he might have in rugby. That’s just my opinion and I’m happy to agree to disagree if you believe otherwise.

We can agree to disagree; threatening to bash a woman and telling her to suck his co$k crosses a personal boundary for me.. Whether she is a police officer or not doesn’t make it ok IMO. That’s not the only story I’ve heard, a few other instances which didn’t make the media.

Broncos are good at keeping stories out of the media, probably helps that the clubs majority share holder is News Corp.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We can agree to disagree; threatening to bash a woman and telling her to suck his co$k crosses a personal boundary for me.. Whether she is a police officer or not doesn’t make it ok IMO. That’s not the only story I’ve heard, a few other instances which didn’t make the media.

Broncos are good at keeping stories out of the media, probably helps that the clubs majority share holder is News Corp.
To get him he'd have to be a marquee signing so yeah... doesn't really sound like the marketable player RA would be looking for.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Yeah, I can accept an argument that he comes with noted issues. Hopefully he grows out of them. Not hopeful.

RA should be careful of getting involved with too many of these managers. Tyran Smith? He's part of Khoder Nasser's camp who is quite well known (SBW mainly) for being trouble.

I expect a Broncos contract extension any time now. This couldn't be better timing for him. Top of the table, form forward in the comp.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Some details around the PE offer the ARU has been shopping around in the Fin today.

Inside Project Aurora, Rugby Australia’s bid to find itself a suitor

1681948788789.png

“NewCo will form an unincorporated joint venture with the co-investors 100%-owned entity (HoldCo) such that HoldCo is granted rights to receive revenue from the commercial operations of NewCo while contributing towards costs/liabilities, proportionate to their minority interest in the [unincorporated joint venture],”

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Payne Haas management has said no one from Rugby Australia has spoken with them, which makes sense. All of this is straight from the Eddie/JON playbook of 2003, they used to leak reports they were targeting key NRL players on the eve of State of Origin just to hijack the headlines from the NRL. Eddie himself commented on how much rugby has retreated from the headlines during the England tour of Australia last year. Likewise Cleary. I suspect the only credible target is Cameron Murray, possibly NAS.

I'm convinced the current 'NRL target lists' poaching is simply part of a ploy to increase the publicity and media exposure metric of Rugby Union through 2023 as RA negotiate Private Equity deals and seeks improved broadcast deals with Stan/Nine. Joseph Sua'ali'i isn't worth what he is being paid on-field, but the stimulus it has provided through increased headlines and news articles off-field will help bump the PE and Broadcast negotiations by more than $ 1.6 million.

RA has done a good job securing key Wallabies through 2027, probably paying over for some of what they've paid previously, but it's all part of presenting a solid product for potential PE investors and reassuring Nine/Stan of the quality of product going forward.

PVL is also helping this by giving rugby increasing airtime. Wait until State of Origin week and I'm certain we will hear more about rugby union poaching one of the star QLD/NSW players.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Interesting response from Vlandys with suggestions of salary cap dispensation for clubs signing rugby players

ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys (the horse racing guy) wants NRL clubs to actively target Wallabies stars – and they will be given a financial incentive to do so.
V’landys (the horse racing guy) has revealed an audacious cut-price Wallaby plan to counter Rugby Australia’s intentions to chase the best players in rugby league.
“We have been looking at bringing in salary cap exemptions for players from other countries for some time,” V’landys (the horse racing guy) said. “It was about bringing in players from America and other nations. It would also apply to players from other sports. And, yes, other sports includes rugby."

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Interesting response from Vlandys.

As I’ve said before though, not sure why an NRL club would pay a bucket of money for any current Aussie Super Rugby players.

Although I’m sure it’s pricked the ears of someone like Quade Cooper, he was eager to play in the NRL during covid and likely only has 1 pro contract of any value left. I could see the Dolphins or Dragons signing him on a 1 year deal after the RWC if they were essentially getting him for free.

Top Bottom